Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Exmoor
  • 40mpg

Heading to Exmoor at the weekend. Its been a while, I can remember key bits of routes I’ve done in the past, but looking for pointers to some nice bits to link up.

Starting Minehead/Dunster area, over Knowle Hill, up to Dunkery from the South so we get the nice run back down the Macmillan Way and back round into Horner wood. All good so far, but then it gets a bit blurry. I’m sure we want to drop down Hawk Combe into Porlock for lunch, but not sure how to link this up. Or if I’ve missed any good bits.

After Porlock its up Selworthy Beacon and back across to Minehead which is easy enough, its just that bit in the middle I could do with some pointers on.

Cheers!

jakehinton
    Free Member

I often ride up Ley hill from Horner woods then drop down Grannys ride, then take a short bit of back road round to Porlock and ride up the Hawkcombe bridleway, going up the concrete track on the right then either onto the main road or little bit of footpath (bit cheeky!) on the left.
    Coming back down Hawkcombe head back up the concrete track and take the bridleway on the right to stay along the top of the valley and get some great fast sections followed by a great descent down into Porlock.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Sorry, down cats scramble, not grannys ride. Though if you want to make it a bit longer you can climb up to stoke pero from horner woods then come down grannys ride and up the other side to drop into cats scramble

40mpg

Some great place names there jakehinton, thanks 🙂 Don’t appear on my OS map but I think I’ve got the general gist

ta11pau1

Spent 2 days in Exmoor last week and recognise some of them names. Was being guided so had no idea where the hell I was most of the time, but it was all brilliant!!! 😀

Sorry, no help I know!

ta11pau1

Some of that looks very similar:

dropoff

Be advised that there will 300+ riders around Hopcott/Grabist hill so pick your descent from there wisely.

pete68
    Free Member

I live in porlock and there is a myriad of great trails here. If you are out around horner keep your eyes open as theres a lot of tourists about at the moment and most don’t seem to have any common sense and wander about like a bunch of brainless sheep

sheck

I like @jakehintons idea re how to access Hawkscombe… linking it with Dunkers Beacon always seemed to involve a road slog or the trackless bridle way across Lucott Moor…

Hawkscombe was just about worth it, but only just!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor’ is closed to new replies.