exhire bikes from glentress

Home Forum Bike Forum exhire bikes from glentress

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • exhire bikes from glentress
  • JACKTHELAD

Looking for advice new to mountain biking.Hi guys my wife and myself are new to mountain biking,and wanted to start off with some reasonable kit,while dipping our toes.We decided to go down the ex hire from the hub –kona Calderra.We were wondering if anyone has bought a ex hire and if this is an ok way to go or did they find themselves putting out more cash at a later date on new parts.We wont be giving the bikes too much abuse as we are at the learning stage.Also thought if we moved on then we would not lose much putting them on ebay.Any help or advise highly appreciated.

ps first post — we look forward to more,as it seems a busy forum

jackthelad

Its better than buying second hand – although they'll have had a lot of use potentially, they'll have been well maintained and anything needing to be replaced, replaced. No point in having a fleet of shonky hire bikes, especially at Glentress.

Good buys I reckon. And welcome!

Premier Icon alexpalacefan
    Subscriber

Hi there, welcome to the wonderful world of mountain biking.

+1 to the above, you've made a wise decision.

But, the spending has only just begun…

A

wrightyson

Inform your bank manager now for when the bug really gets you! I thought golf was expensive!!
    Enjoy

Three_Fish

I'm not sure that being jet washed down after every ride is my idea of "well maintained". They've always seemed pretty indiscriminate in their method – blasting hubs, BBs, forks and shocks with the same reckless abandond that the frame gets.

It's not to say that associated problems are guaranteed, but I would expect to have to perform some overhaul work on any ex-hire bicycle. That said, I don't know what service they (especially the fork) gets before the bike is sold. It's certainly a question I'd be asking, though.

You're right. They're jet washed after a weekend of abuse, then left to rust away until the following weekend when someone wants to hire it, only to be put off mountain biking for life because the drivetrain is rusted and the forks are locked solid.

Three_Fish

They're jet washed after a weekend of abuse, then left to rust away until the following weekend when someone wants to hire it, only to be put off mountain biking for life because the drivetrain is rusted and the forks are locked solid.

That's not what I said, or inferred.

lyons

Well, a friend bought one, and it seemsto be ok so far…

Kitz_Chris

I think ex-hire is a great way to go. We sell our Kona Hire bikes at the end of each season, and each one gets a thorough strip and rebuild, with any parts replaced where needed. I'm sure the hub at glentress would do something similar.
    We also look after our bikes very well throughout the season. It works out a lot cheaper for us to take care washing and maintaining them, rather than replacing BB's and headset bearings every 2 months due to indescriminate jet washing.
    Kona's are a great way to go. Neutral handling, well thought out spec, and the resale value on ebay will be reasonable as its a brand the general public recognize.
    Go for it, Have fun!

JACKTHELAD

Hi guys wow this forum is quick.I dont mind minor repairs,just thought if was a good way to start for 2 people with an outlay of £700 instead of £1400,then again sites like Paul do the 2009 for £550, so basically looking for you guys to put me in the correct direction– £350 second hand exhire or £550 brand new 2009 models

radoggair

i'd save the 200 squid and go second hand. You may find the bike is not the right one for you OR most likely you will love it and therefore want to upgrade it ( prob a week after getting it) so the extra 200 quid will come in handy.

Please though watchout in the future. You may end up with a beard riding a singlespeed rigid 29er On One which will only result in being heckled. 😈

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

If you have the extra £400 and think this is the sport for you then go with that.

If you're just sticking a toe in the water then I'd be looking at the ex-hire ones and planning on some maintenance expenditure if you do get the use out of them.

tbh, in a years time once they've been used and mended a bit you'll have much the same bikes regardless of which you buy…

PeterPoddy

£350 second hand exhire or £550 brand new 2009 models

If that's the price difference, all you need to be sure of is that the major components are in good order (Frame, fork, brakes, wheels) and the £200 you've saved will run it for 2 years or more. Get someone who knows what thay are looking at to cast an eye over the EXACT bikes you're buying, we can't weally comment on here with any accuracy to be fair.

Any upgrades or spares you might need will be available here on the classifides too, if you keep an eye out.

If you're just starting out I'll give you one tip – Rather than spending £50 on repairs at a bike shop, spend £50 on parts and tools and learn to do it yourself. It's not hard, there's LOADS of info and guides availble (Parktools.com, Sheldon Browns website, and on here) to enable you to learn.
    I'm still using tools I bought nearly 20 years ago and they've saved me god-knows how much dosh over the years, paid for themselves many times over!

🙂

cynic-al

I don't know what the Hub does to its fleet (they certainly get a good jet-washing from what I've seen).

I'd certainly be checking the bearings etc, and transmission. New chain, ring, cassette and rear mech could be £100 away instantly.

JACKTHELAD

If you're just starting out I'll give you one tip – Rather than spending £50 on repairs at a bike shop, spend £50 on parts and tools and learn to do it yourself.

I thought about this and done the one day maintenance course with Edinburgh co-op.So building up the tools now.I dont mind some maintenance as its the only way to learn,but would not want the bikes to runaway from me on maintenance costs,due to bikes being heavily abused,but the bikes where very clean,new tyres etc.The hub say that the bike get a good going over with new cables etc and everything checked and replaced if needed.

b r

Disagree, go new if you've got the cash.

But first go down your LBS('s) and see if they will do you a deal on two bikes – they should.

HTTP404

Jetwashed and ragged silly around the black route.
    I reckon it would need careful looking at regarding wear and tear – factor that into the price.
    The paulscycle route for a new bike won't be a bad one tho.

TandemJeremy

Ex hire from the hub is a good way to go – I would do it myself. Ignore the numpties who haven't looked at the bikes

They get fully serviced including new drivetrains if needed and have a maximum of 30 days use on them.

Go check the bikes out – I have and they will be fine

The 2009 Caldera retails for £850. Ours are hired a maximum of 30 rides, serviced after each of those rides, then fully prepped to look like new for sale at £399. With the new 2010 model due to appear on the fleet soon, we've knocked a further £50 off the Medium (18") sized 09's to make space for the new arrivals – making them a pretty impressive £350!!

radoggair

Jetwashed and ragged silly around the black route

i cant see the type of people hiring a Kona Caldera would be the same people who can use a bike 'ragged silly around the black route' Those who generally can handle bikes well and are quite fast on the downs would normally hire more upmarket bikes. The Kona would generally be hired by mincers who do mainly blue, bit of red so bikes would be in good condition. The hub would also keep the bikes in great condition and i would guess would give you some kind of warranty when purchased with them

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

Have just bought an ex-hire £700 Commencal Absolute(?)jump bike for grandson, £200 in immaculate condition from lbs. Friend has just bought a Genesis from same source, agian immaculate cond.
    The hire bike way is good if you are on a budget, can fix yourself, the money saved can then buy you some good clothing or other kit. Maybe a skills day with Emma & Tracy(ask for a discount?)
    You will likely get a warranty of some sort which is more than you get from some punter on classified 😉
    Take chosen bike for a good test ride to make sure everything is functioning before purches, ask for any niggles to be fixed.

That's not what I said, or inferred.

OK then…

Whenever I've been to GT, the people on the hire bike hardtails are usually slogging it up to the freeride park in their tracksuit trousers, waterproof jackets and a rucksack on. Never seen any of them past Buzzards Nest so the likelihood of them being ragged around the black is quite slim I suspect.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

OTOH, getting crashed quite a lot is probably on the menu.

Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

5+ years ago, a co-worker bought one of the Hub's ex-hire Giant hardtails. He didn't seem that impressed – the drivetrain was pretty badly worn and he may have had a few other problems with it. I don't know if they've changed their policy since then and at least the Calderas don't have cheap Manitou forks on them so the fork is much more likely to still be working after a few hires. 🙂

I'd still want to have someone about who can check for the most obvious wear parts – brake pads, chain, chainrings/cassette, and see that the various bits with bearings aren't having problems.

I've bought 2 ex-hire Calderas from The Hub over the last couple of years – both are still going great.

Premier Icon RRD
    Subscriber

Hello

I would urge caution. I introduced some friends to mountain biking down at Glentress. Clearly they loved it and were looking at the same options as yourself but as you say the ex-hire prices do not seem that good compared to old model Calderas sold out there on t'internet as you've found out.

I'm quite sure the bikes are very well serviced and taken care of but the models I saw looked quite tired (wear on the chain rings) and there is no getting away from the fact that a drivetrain has a limited life. If you can afford it pay the extra.

HTTP404

ragged silly around the black route

OK. So I exaggerated. 🙂

I'm not sure what life is harder on a bike – an experienced rider or a numpty.

Mackem

A friend of mine bought an ex-hire bike from http://www.sierracycling.com for 300 euros. Obviously used a lot but damn good bike for the price. (Kona Kula). He´s happy as… with it.

Premier Icon MussEd
    Subscriber

Couple of mates have done exactly as you're thinking of. As previously mentioned they're sold after 30 hires, and both bikes have been great. No problems with jetwash damage to drivetrain. One of these mates has recently upgraded to a much more expensive bike as the sport has gotten under his skin – so be prepared!

Jackthelad you'll quickly come to realise that as soon as someone posts something positive on here there'll be a few on straight away to argue the exact opposite or at least find every possible negative! Never let lack of first-hand experience of a subject stand in the way of a good moan. Having said that you will find the most obscure answers on here, enjoy mountain bikes Jackthelad, and enjoy the forum and don't get caught up with all the moaning!

genesis

We sell ours at the end of the season, this year they're the Orange G3's this time. Mechanically they're fine, my brother is thinking of buying 4 of them!! Wouldn't dare sell him anything duff he's bigger than me and could well kick my ass 😉

ScottChegg

All this talk of jet washed this, and worn out that has clouded a big issue.

A used bike will not have a manufacturers warranty. This is worth more than a service or a chain. The Hub are a reputable lot so will no doubt guarantee the bike for a short while after purchase. Not the full period that a real warranty will.

They are a good price, but go into it with your eyes open.

tron

My first mountain bike was an ex-hire giant from a trail centre.

I hadn't had it too long before it needed a new bottom bracket, cranks, rear cassette etc. They don't get much TLC, so the drivetrain components take a hammering. Over time I also upgraded bits I broke, and a mate still rides it now without any new bits.

That said, if the bikes are sold after 30 hires, they're probably a good deal. I think the bike I bought was a year or two old at least when I got it.

I suspect if you're asking on here, you don't have any mates who know about mountain bikes to look them over for you. So I would suggest taking along a ruler and applying the technique detailed at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Basically, the entire drivetrain – chain, cranks & cassette wear in unison. If the chain is bad, the entire rest of the drivetrain will be bad. And replacing the whole lot will cost £100 or so.

Beyond that, rock things that have bearings in them to feel for play – if the wheels, cranks or fork bearings have play, you're going to be spending money again.

Mackem

IMO I dont think a manufacturers warranty is a big issue at all.

JACKTHELAD

The help on here has been massive and answers so quickly,I look forward to using the forum in the future.I need to thank you all for all your views, plus and against.I might go for one from the hub size 16 for the wife as I cant get that size anywhere on the net,and buy the other bike size 18 from pauls ,thats a total of £900 instead of £700 for 2 konas, but I have reduced the threat of heavy maintenance on 2 bikes.What do you think of this route instead of buying 2 from the hub.All your views are highly appreciated so please feel free to fire away,its good getting different opinions.

Jackthelad

tron

It limits your risk. You'll probably work out slightly cheaper to have second hand bikes even if you do replace a few bits, but it can be gutting when you're having repairs done and start thinking "I could've had a new one for an extra £XXX". Just depends on your point of view.

The flipside is that you won't feel so gutted the first time you crash and ding the paint…

wrightyson

Lbs or one of many sites do. 0% finance over the year. That might be worth a look as well.

timdrayton

That's what i'd do, I'd even tell her hers cost more as it comes with a special distressed finish 😉

HTTP404

Just to throw a curve ball into your plans….
    I'm certainly not a big fan of Kona at their rrp and discounted for a Kona is the way to go. They always seem so poorly specced for their price.
    The Boardman (Boardman Sport is £550) bikes at halfords always look good – and you get a £50 voucher (handy for gear) and can get 10% off if you have a barclays breathe card.
    As for the smaller sized bike you're looking for. Try the 'bay. And do a buyer collect.
    These are some I've found closest to you.
    Genesis Core
    Kona Hoss 2008

My preference being the Genesis.

TandemJeremy

I would buy both from the hub – for well maintained add fully serviced machines the prices are great. Better than you get on the general secondhand market.

go have a look at their bikes anyway – I really think you will be surprised. I was when I considered buying one

ScottChegg

Mackem – it's not a big deal until your frame cracks.

gazc

as with any secondhand bike – give it a good looking over when you pick it up (if you're not sure maybe a friend into bikes?). i know someone who bought a exhire bike on the shops word (a trek xc bike) only to have to buy a new drivetrain after a few weeks use. i'm sure the glentress bikes will be ok – but they do blast them clean tho so make sure you ask about servicing on the forks and if they'll put new cables/brake pads as part of the deal too

have fun!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘exhire bikes from glentress’ is closed to new replies.