Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Exercise question
  • radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

So if you’re lifting weights and eating plenty of protein, you’ll put on muscle. You need to eat plenty of calories to do so.

What happens to body fat when you are doing this? Does it stay roughly the same or will it go down as you are using the extra calories in your diet to build the muscle?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Lift weights, get ripped! Thats what I dont do.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Grr

tails
    Free Member

The more muscular you are the more calories you burn even sitting still, it certainly won’t be instant though.

d45yth
    Free Member

It all depends on how many calories you’re putting away. Do all the excercise in the world and you’ll still put on fat if you eat too much. Don’t eat enough but still excercise hard and you will lose weight/fat.
    When taking weight gain you weigh yourself each week, if you don’t see any gains, you increase the amount you take.
    If you want to do a clean bulk, eat plenty of chicken and veg or you can dirty bulk, eating all the s**t you can!

Kip

Energy balance goes thus:

Calories in = calories out = weight stays the same
    Calories in > calories out = weight gain
    Calories in < calories out = weight loss

Doesn’t matter where the calories come from (Fat, Carbs or Proteins), any excess is stored as fat.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I think it’ll depend on how many more calories you’re eating. You’re right in that you’ll need to eat more than your usual maintenance amount, but if you eat too much you put on some fat, eat too little and muscle growth will slow.

Isn’t the normal method to grow muscle and accept a bit of fat will also go on, and then follow with a cut..?

bellerophon
    Free Member

d45yth beat me to it… 😳

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Normal maintenance amount + extra protein (shakes) + regular weight program = muscular gains then?

Easy 😉

oddjob
    Free Member

Kip = wrong

Not all foods are equal

Something like this protein > fat > carbs

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Kip

The need for huge amounts of extra protein is an over rated myth when weight training, yes you need it for muscle repair and growth but most diets only need a slight increase. Beware of dropping your carb intake too much as this provides the most easily stored energy that your muscles need (glucose/glycogen). This page gives a nice bit of reading on the value of protein when training (but I’ve no idea how to clicky it, I teach PE not IT. Sarcasm and tea that’s my way!)

http://www.humankinetics.com/mediasvr/MarketingPDFs/Clark/Clark%20127-130.pdf

Kip

Oh, it did it all by itself!!!

geordiepaul
    Free Member

If you want to gain muscle while losing fat you need low GI calories (calories made up from mainly low GI carbs + protein)
    Food that burns slowly and doesn’t turn to fat quickly when the energy isn’t burned.

I read a great article on Hugh Jackman when he was training for Wolverine. He was eating 6000 calories a day. Mainly chicken and steamed veg. Gained loads of weight but lost loads of body fat. A lot depends on metabolism and body make up of which his is pretty perfect.

Kip

Oddjob:

Not all foods are equal, correct. Each type of food has a different calorific content per gram. So fewer grams of fat will give you more calories than the same grams of protein, however…any excess of calories will cause weight gain. If you eat more than you burn off you will gain weight, how is it any other way? Please explain. Cheers.

oddjob
    Free Member

Search for the idave diet. It isn’t as simple as calories in compared with calories out but what and when you eat and how your body responds to the food eg insulin response to sugar.

Eating 1000 calories of sugar each meal will not have the same affect as eating 1000 calories of fat for each meal. The sugar will a make you fatter than the fat. This is rather complicated, but in essence the rise in blood sugar causes an insulin surge which makes your body use the sugar in the blood as energy, after a while the blod sugar drops and you are starving for more sugar. If you eat fat there is little or no insulin response and the body uses glycogen and fat for energy whilst blood sugar stays more level without hunger peaks.

I may have the process wrong, but the overall concept is right. Sugar is more evil than fat.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I’ve seen about iDave. There’s no way I can cut out bread completely but I usually eat wholemeal for slow gi release

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter where the calories come from (Fat, Carbs or Proteins)

Totally wrong.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/02/25/the-science-of-fat-loss-why-a-calorie-isnt-always-a-calorie/

You can cut out bread, just MTFU. And wholemeal has the same gi and insulin index as white.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

So what’s the point in it?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Exercise question’ is closed to new replies.