Executive Time Managament

Home Forum Chat Forum Executive Time Managament

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Executive Time Managament
  • Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

As said above really. Surround yourself with good people, learn to delegate, be prepared to not have any family / social life.

A few of the big knobs who “work” at my company employ smoke and mirrors to pretty much everything. Things only happen because someone below them makes it happen. Half the time they haven’t a clue what actually happens within the company they supposedly lead. The HR director doesn’t even know what her husband does for a living, let alone know who he works for.

The MD didn’t go to his sons funeral.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

It’s been a good day as regards this thread. At least I’ve learned most successful people work damn hard, but in fact there is no proverbial pot of gold – there is a detriment to something else.

I’m happy I’ve got the work life balance I currently have all things considered in here. You pays your money…. Etc.

DT78

Majority of execs I have had the pleasure of working with for any great lengths have been very disappointing. Certainly not worthy of a pedestal.

Interestingly, some of the consultants I’ve met who have held senior posts in the past have been truly inspiring.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

… some of the consultants I’ve met who have held senior posts in the past have been truly inspiring.

There’s hope for me yet…!

MrNutt

early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

Duggan

Interesting thread, especially some of the insights from senior people themselves. It does seem that people are either born like that or not- eg genetically predisposed to have these kind of qualities.

I’ve often wondered how a lot of the senior people where I work get anything done as they just seem to constantly be in meetings all day, all week.

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

I’ve often wondered how a lot of the senior people where I work get anything done as they just seem to constantly be in meetings all day, all week.

You work somewhere inefficient.

That said, generally other people leave the meetings with things to do for the senior people, who then go on to repeat that pattern in the next meeting.

joemarshall

It would appear that the great Execs/CEO’s, COO’s of our collective corporate companys somehow seem to manage what appears to be a 24hr life at work including global travel and so forth, seven kids and a time consuming (ie property renovation) hobby, whilst studying for a Masters at the weekends and making appearances at the local NFL teams speeches.

Simple. You are stinking rich, you pay someone to make things less hard to do.

Property renovation as a hobby = pay a fancy architect / project manager etc, turn up every so often to chat with them, swing a hammer or whatever, but no real pressures.

7 kids = fancy nanny, private school; just cos you have all the kids doesn’t mean you actually see them.

Studying for a masters probably means an MBA = the most spoon fed course that you can do at any university; not that it isn’t challenging, some of them are proper hard, but they pay ten times as much for the course and hence get a whole lot more support and mentoring from the university for their work compared to your average student.

Obviously you pay people to drive you around = extra time to work.

You pay people to cook and clean = extra time to work.

When you’re a CEO, things like going to football / baseball games are time at work too, promotion/entertaining.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

We don’t have CEOs as such in my line or work (science), but the most successful people seem to be always distinguished by their energy, rather than any more unusual talent that sets them apart.
    I’ve met many of the leading guys internationally in my field, people who run research groups of 50 people almost single-handedly, and it’s rare to feel over-awed by their intellect, ideas or creativity (although you meet the occasional genius). Their energy and drive, though, is on another planet.

Mirroring this, all the people I’ve met and know who struggle to maintain a research group and just can’t get anything going – there’s not usually anything all that wrong with their ideas. There’s always something wrong with their work ethic though.
    ‘Wrong’ here not being any particular judgement on how hard they want to work, just a recognition that you can never build a research group with half-arsed commitment.

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Subscriber

The people I know in positions of power seem to be be ones who put in the hard graft very early in their careers and seem to have some sort of plan about where they’ll end up.

So they’ll be the ones who cultivated all those “connections” in the industry during a work placement through university. Had guaranteed jobs to walk into post graduation. Rose fast enough to the top due to having a good support system (yes, wealthy family, excellent co-workers, supporting partners help) and then saw the light early enough to realise that working for someone else is a mug’s game and left to start contracting and their own businesses.

Ultimately we all manage our time according to what’s most important to us. For them, their careers, for some of us it’s watching 21 hours of television a week or being around to see their son/daughter ride their bike for the first time.

brooess

My observation is the people at the top do nothing else in their lives, work is everything to them. Fair enough if that’s what they want but I think that’s a waste of the 70+ years we have on this planet and rather sad that they don’t want to do anything else with themselves. The MD who didn’t go to his son’s funeral sounds inhuman and a total lack of compassion

I feel really sorry for the CEO’s son ^^. My uncle has been v successful in business and my cousins complained along similar lines.

mightymule

My father was a CEO (he’s now happily retired – well sort of, they sometimes wheel him out if they need to!)

Hi secret was to have very very good people working for him, and to be very very good at managing them.

There were some nights that he wouldn’t be home from work ’til 9 or 10, and times when he was away for a few days at at time, but the number one rule was that we (my mother and I) were more important than work, and staff were under strict instructions that he was to be interrupted WHATEVER he was doing if one of us called and needed him.

He was very successful, and I certainly didn’t lose out on having a Dad.

Premier Icon cdaimers
    Subscriber

I would recommend a time management book ”do it tomorrow”. It has turned around my time management and a number of other people I know.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Executive Time Managament’ is closed to new replies.