Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Excuse Me Kind Sir, That Was Rather Close!
  • Jamie
    Free Member

So. Just a polite gentleman driver, or he clocked the camera and figured he couldn’t chin/swear at the cyclist?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=65c_1352206981

cynic-al
    Free Member

**** me, calm cyclist or what! I’d have been raging!

druidh
    Free Member

I thought both chaps behaved admirably.

GrahamS

Love the comments:

It’s called “British rage”.
    “Don’t f** with me or I’ll lecture you about basic rules of politeness”

But no tea and biscuits, how barbaric!

😆

postierich
    Free Member

Most drivers think we are tree hugging softies! many a time they have stopped with me to give me abuse then backed down when I have gone to them to reason/argue with them! one day I will come across a total nutter and will get decked but i cannot help myself 😕

bigyinn
    Free Member

So he basically runs the cyclist off the road because the cyclist touched his car following an earlier near miss?
    He’d have had more than a few finger marks to worry about doing that to me on the road.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I’d have dropped the gobby little scummer on the spot.

scaled
    Free Member

surely that’s dangerous driving? he ran him off the road!

surfer
    Free Member

I would have knocked him out! sorry keyboard warrior and all that but he was a total **ck who almost ran him down.

tarquin
    Free Member

Could easily have turned nasty but instead was rather pleasant!

tessayates
    Free Member

The car driver was calm because, I think, he knew he could’ve battered the cyclist if push come to shove.

People that start out agro are generally trying to demonstrate a good bark but soft as *****. Much like the stereotypical internet hardmen…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Brilliant!

Both very polite. Regardless of who is right or wrong, that’s how road rage should be conducted.

D0NK

apart from the driver running the cyclist off the road?

CaptJon
    Free Member

“Why didn’t you back off and let me through if you knew if i was there?”

“What do you mean?”

LOL

ski
    Free Member

Did they shake hands in the end?

GrahamS

The car driver was calm because, I think, he knew he could’ve battered the cyclist if push come to shove

Actually I think he calmed down a lot right about the same moment where he clocked the camera.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think the cyclist totally diffused the situation by being so reasonable. Audi driver initially fancied his chances I reckon.

druidh
    Free Member

I was referring to the discussion, not the initial incident. However, to be fair to the driver, after the crossing pinch-point he pulled over at a rate/angle to impede and stop the cyclist rather than swipe him off the road 😉

tessayates
    Free Member

“I think he calmed down a lot right about the same moment where he clocked the camera”

Possibly. The cyclist sounded scared, the driver didn’t.

klumpy
    Free Member

Jeeves, bring pistols for two and coffee for one.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, apart from trying to push the cyclist into the kerb with his effing great vehicle, the Audi driver was a perfectly behaved piece of shit.

D0NK

after the crossing pinch-point he pulled over at a rate/angle to impede and stop the cyclist rather than swipe him off the road

tomato/tomato still bullying the cyclist around the road with his very heavy (potentially) very fast blunt instrument.

I was referring to the discussion

fair enough not actually listened to it yet, no sound

GrahamS

The cyclist sounded scared, the driver didn’t.

Yep – and by sounding “scared” he diffused the situation nicely.

(I’ve seen other videos that guy has done and he uses the same slightly apologetic sounding tone in each of them – generally seems to be more effective than getting aggro)

surfer
    Free Member

generally seems to be more effective than getting aggro

In what way was he more effective. The Audi C*** had his behaviour and driving style reinforced and didnt feel the need to modify it.

D0NK

In what way was he more effective.

presumably in diffusing the situation, I’ll shout at drivers but if they came up to me with a likely intention of hitting me I’d switch to diffuse mode. DOn’t wanna get into fisticuffs. How would battering the driver (or getting battered) change his future driving style? Challenge drivers bad behaviour but if they go mental leave it and report to police.

cynic-al
    Free Member

davidjones15 – Member

I’d have dropped the gobby little scummer on the spot.

17 minutes to the first internet hard-man comment.

Standards are slipping.

GrahamS

In what way was he more effective. The Audi C*** had his behaviour and driving style reinforced and didnt feel the need to modify it.

The Audi guy actually listened to what he had to say regarding backing off to let him through and that he only bangs on cars to alert drivers that are putting him in danger.

It may not have sunk in, but he did at least get heard.

If they had gone toe-to-toe I very much doubt Mr Audi would be sat at home later thinking “Hmm.. maybe that guy had a point. I’ll be more considerate of cyclists next time.”

joao3v16
    Free Member

Engaging in conversation with a motorist?

Brings to mind:
    “Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

I usually just think to myself “well done, you’ve just confirmed my assumption that you’re a massive penis” …

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’d have been going for the eye contact and putting the driver off making that manoeuvre way before he went for it. I’d probably have sped up a bit to put myself in a better part of their field of vision too.

It pains me to say it, but the driver has a tiny wee bit of a point.

I’d probably have ended up in a fight with them though.

GrahamS

I’d have been going for the eye contact and putting the driver off making that manoeuvre way before he went for it. I’d probably have sped up a bit to put myself in a better part of their field of vision too.

Not sure that would have helped – the driver stated that he knew he was there – he just didn’t see why he shouldn’t be able to overtake, even if there wasn’t room to do so.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I was once in a very similar situation with a chap in a Lexus. I slapped his car and he was not happy at all. I did point out that if he hadn’t got so close to me, then I wouldn’t have been able to slap his precious car. The Alan Partridge wannabe wouldn’t get out of his car though – there were plenty of couriers picthing in with their thoughts about him too!!

druidh
    Free Member

If the cyclist had dabbed his brakes around the 13 second mark instead of speeding up, the whole incident would never had happened. Sometimes, it’s not just about driving according to your rights, it’s also about being considerate to other traffic.

surfer
    Free Member

It may not have sunk in, but he did at least get heard.

He got heard because he was largely passive and submissive. The Audi driver made a couple of dangerous maneouvres and really he should have been taken to task.
    If he drives off then fine but he chose to stop, also endangering the cyclist and then got out of the car. Dangerous game to play when you are a miniature C***

davidjones15
    Free Member

Sometimes, it’s not just about driving according to your rights, it’s also about being considerate to other traffic.

Away with you and your common sense ideas.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

The Audi driver was very sure of himself and lucky for the cyclist that he had a camera otherwise it would of turned nasty, proper east end geezer out of lock stock I reckon 😀

D0NK

Sometimes, it’s not just about driving according to your rights, it’s also about being considerate to other traffic.

driver tried to cut into the bus/bike lane so he was in the wrong before you start thinking about consideration. This sort of stuff (driver knows you’re there but just drift across anyway) riles me so I’d have done the same (whilst covering the brakes and having an escape option in mind)

pingu66
    Free Member

I’d have told him in no uncertain terms I would have been banging on his head not his car, TWUNT.

GrahamS

He got heard because he was largely passive and submissive.

So? Whatever works. I’m a big lad but I’ll play it submissive if I think it’ll get me heard and avoid fisticuffs.
    Making someone bleed is unlikely to change any of their opinions.

he should have been taken to task.

He was done. Politely and without violence, in a manner that allows him to reflect on what he did without thinking of it as “defeat”.

Agreed he could have avoided it – but that’s not “being considerate”, that’s just allowing yourself to be bullied out the way.

surfer
    Free Member

Making someone bleed is unlikely to change any of their opinions

Thats not the only way and if it was then it may have done. People in cars often become bullies and whilst you mention “defeat” I suspect he will think “victory” unfortunately

joao3v16
    Free Member

Politely and without violence, in a manner that allows him to reflect on what he did without thinking of it as “defeat”.

Be careful playing fast and loose with the word “thinking” in reference to motorists

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Excuse Me Kind Sir, That Was Rather Close!’ is closed to new replies.