Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Exclusive | Orange Alpine Evo Review a big travel bike with trail bike manners
  • singletrackandi

The Orange Alpine Evo is the latest development in the Alpine range, offering big travel capabilities in a lively and efficient trail-friendly package …

By singletrackandi

Get the full story on our front page at:

Exclusive | Orange Alpine Evo Review a big travel bike with trail bike manners

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Just thought I’d get in with this huge positive before the haterz paste their normal reaction in….

SRAM UDH rear hanger system.

Seems like such a small thing, but shows a step in the right direction and a certain amount of respect for customers, that is sorely lacking in other manufacturers

Rubber_Buccaneer

ride a 27.5in wheeled bike again, and your mind is blown

Trail came alive?

DrP

Interesting fact…
    I was dropping in behind Joe Barnes at the Southern Enduro champs last weekend. Stage 4 i think.
    He headed off. I said to my mate behind “was that Joe Barnes??”. He said “I dunno”. I think it was Joe.

STW can use that in a press release if they want…? 😉

DrP

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Joe Barnes in the presence of greatness…

DrP

LOLZ!!

DrP

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think it was Joe

Did you not ask when you caught him?

rickon
    Free Member

I’m really surprised by how different the geometry is for a bike that looks so similar to 2019’s model.

Ozak42

£5,900 and it’s only got a 5 year warranty. Even a new Carrera comes with a lifetime warranty these days.
    Not much faith in your product.

Rickos
    Free Member

Lifetime warranty means lifetime of the bike, not your lifetime. Read the small print and Carrera probably suggest their frame has a life of around 5 years too.

Anyway, to say a bike with geo numbers like this has trail bike manners is pushing it a bit, no? Unless a trail bike is something else these days.

brant
    Free Member

£5,900 and it’s only got a 5 year warranty. Even a new Carrera comes with a lifetime warranty these days.
    Not much faith in your product.

Made in Britain though. Shame you hate your country.

Ozak42

The Carrera is for the time you own the bike. As for Bird, I own it’s a lifetime warranty that’s transferable to someone else if I sell the bike.

Ozak42

My country has made terrible decisions in this Tory era, so no, not the biggest fan.

LancashireKiwi

Looks like Orange have made their equivalent of the Nomad, looking forward to demoing both.

endomick
    Free Member

Ey up, imagine the prices if they were made down in that there London.
    Wonder what’s cheaper, sheets of 6061 to fold up yourself vs butted n hydroformed tubing.

robertajobb

Depends how many you are making and if you’re happy to use slave / child labour in an oppressive regime, or grown ups on a decent wage. I prefer that latter because that’s better for us all in the long term

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyway, to say a bike with geo numbers like this has trail bike manners is pushing it a bit, no? Unless a trail bike is something else these days.

I haven’t ridden the new alpine, but the previous model and my own stage 6 are very lively and responsive to pedal input. They climb better than some proper short travel bikes I’ve owned and they are fun on the flat.

I always describe my S6 as more of a trail bike in how it feels.

Now a 63deg head angle does put a slight damper on the twisty single-track fun, but it brings so much benefit for steep or fast riding at the same time

kimbers

Did he mention the weight?

sargey2003

@Brant

How does criticising the warranty turn into hating one’s country?

Nasty.

brant
    Free Member

How does criticising the warranty turn into hating one’s country?

Nasty.

🤦🏻‍♂️
    How does “only” giving a 5 year warranty imply a lack of confidence in your products.

chakaping
    Free Member

They increased the warranty from two to five years, as the prices went up and they’d had a spate of cracked swingarms.

I think it’s pretty good personally and would go a long way to justifying the frame price (which has got a bit high).

brant
    Free Member

I think it’s pretty good personally and would go a long way to justifying the frame price (which has got a bit high).

Every week I watch Friday Fails on pinkbike and thank myself that I’m not in the bike industry any more, with arseholes who insist that huge crashes are normal use and things that fail are “not of merchantable quality” or “not fit for purpose”.

OwenP

@Brant every single one of those crashes is actually caused by chain suck.

sargey2003

@Brant

Whether it was a valid commentary on the warranty has no relevance to one’s opinion of one’s country – why are you attempting to link the two totally different things?

That is a very poor form of discussion.

Do I think a 5 yr warrnty sufficient? Yes.

Do I think that gives any indication or has any relevance to what I think of my country? No, why would it?

zerocool

What do they mean by ‘neutral pivot position’? The pivot on my 2012 Alpine 160 was pretty much inline with the chain line (32 tooth ring, 11-36 cassette) and that pedalled pretty damn well.

glenbob
    Free Member

When my whyte G160 has gone to the big bike grave yard, i think this may be its replacement…Looks sorted

georgesdad

I’ve just bought one of these and I can confirm it’s flippin’ brilliant. The accessory mount under the top tube is pants though, especially with a Fox X2 shock. The piggyback reservoir gets in the way of anything you try and strap to the mount. The solution; 76 Projects Piggy…

seriousrikk

Can’t help thinking someone here may be taking sarcasm a bit too seriously.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.