Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Exciting What Bar/Stem combo!
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

Merry Christmas all 🙂

After deciding to leave my fork alone on the Intense (expense and wanting to swap for a 29er sometime next year), I’ve decided to get a new bar/stem/grips.

Got a few hundred quid bonus from work, so wanted to treat my bike to some fresh goodies and when I build a new one, they can come with me to the next frame.

Ideally I want something with a fairly high rise (30mm+) and around a 50mm stem. Looked at Deity and Burgtec so far. Love the look of the Deity Copperhead stems and their bars, but struggling to find who has good stock.

Any other suggestions? I’m not fussed on material so Carbon or Aluminium is fine. Was also tempted by One Up Carbon bar with the stem and EDC tool, but I’ve read they can be a bit temperamental to set up?

plus-one

Nuke proof horizon bars and stem look good

bsims
    Free Member

Colour coordinated Spank oozy stem and vibrocore bars?

frankconway

Ritchey.

timbog160

Very much enjoying my Spank vibrocore at the moment…

ratherbeintobago

Fatbar Lite and matching stem?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, some good alternatives to look at there.

I’ve already got a Spank stem and Renthal bar (Fat Bar carbon, but only 20mm rise), so I think I want something a bit different this time.

Always been intrigued by the Vibrocore stuff. Nukeproof are a safe bet, decent price and look good. I’ve never looked into Richey riser bars before, so I’ll go have a look at those.

marksnook
    Free Member

Joystick binary stem and analog Carbon bar here, hands were going numb with my old renthal set up and the joystick combo cleared it up. Bars also have a skull and crossbones on with is cool, enjoy the little things and all that!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Oh yeah! totally forgot about Joystick stuff. I’ll have a nosey at those too. I’ve got the One Up basket open with the carbon bars,stem, preloader and an EDC tool, but I don’t know yet 🙂

Not usually that bothered about spending money. Maybe I’m growing up haha.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Burgtec.

VanHalen

Depends on the bike and preference

I really like the shape of renthal but on the HT they seem to give me hand pain. My nukeproofs on the same bike don’t but they are a more sweepy shape and slightly higher rise. Had some synchros that hurt too??

On the fully I much prefer the renthal and I don’t get hand pain?

Strange really…

johnw1984
    Free Member

The shape is something I’ve never really thought about. I don’t think I’ve had a bar on any bike that I didn’t get along with.

780-800mm seems to be my sweet spot for width on a trail bike. My Ibis hard tail has 740mm flat bars that feel perfect for that.

Decided to have a drive to Stif at the weekend and have a look at some. They sell Joystick, Burgtech and One Up, so a few to choose from.

ta11pau1

I’ve got the oneup bar and stem, 35mm stem, 35mm rise bar.

No issues at all with setting it up, and having the multitool right there is a extremely handy, I have the oneup pump on my gravel bike so move the tool to that when I go for a ride on the gravel bike.

honourablegeorge

VitalMTB did some testing on bars recently, Renthals were among the stiffest/least compliant. The OneUp did well in terms of comfort. Vid is on YouTube.

robo89
    Free Member

Nukeproof horizon alloy bar n stem is really nice, subtle shiny graphics on shot peened bar, sweep feels great, I was weary at first as I used to run answers and raceface bars with 8°, 4° but they are spot on. The stem is superb, nice n wide bar clamp with no gap on the top bolts. Burgtec stem cap and coloured bolt finish it off nicely.

lawman91

Love my Chromag Ranger stems and Cutlass bars have them on both bikes and they look awesome and the bars have a lovely damped feel. Stem is gorgeous, bit heavy but it is solid, proper bolts and the finish is first rate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Burgtec

johnw1984
    Free Member

Plenty of options there to look at.

Be nice to get a full Burgtec setup all bought from a shop (rarely get to visit bike shops). They do sell the One Up stuff too, so I’ll be look at that.

Cheers for sticking the image of the One Up stuff on 🙂

A lot of the stuff suggested though, I’m having trouble finding them in a 30mm+ rise and 780mm wide min. Nukeproof seem to have a large range on that front.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Syntace here; Vector carbon bars and megaforce2 stem. Supple & superbly well built. Wouldn’t look elsewhere personally.

Having said that, the One Up flexy bars would be nice to try and compare.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I had a ride to Leisure Lakes in Bury to have a look at some. I rarely go into shops to spend money as I don’t have any that are close.

Ended up coming away with a Burgtec setup. Got a 35mm stem, Burtec Josh Bryceland bars (38mm rise) and some of the Minnaar grips.

Also got the RRP bolt on mud guard too, so pretty much spent up till payday now! 🙂 Going to stick some pics in my other thread and have a ride out to Healey Nab tomorrow.

niksnr
    Free Member

+1 for Syntace Vector and Force stem. Had for about 6 years now and just about to buy another set for the ’little’ bike. Top dollar but the best by far IMO.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Just fitted this yesterday, all Nukeproof. Carbon bars £40 on CRC, grip £10 CRC and stem was £14 on eBay off a new bike. Not bad for £64 but not sure the bars are still that price. They have a choice of rises.

droodling
    Free Member

Currently running Enve M7 bars and a 35mm Industry Nine stem. Feels good to me, plus you don’t see many i9 stems around. And the colour tart in me likes that you can spec a different colour faceplate 🙂

johnw1984
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about the i9 stems. I do remember seeing a Blue one with a Pink faceplate! Actually looked really smart too 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Exciting What Bar/Stem combo!’ is closed to new replies.