• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Exciting radiator question – will I notice the difference in heat?
  • rocco

Looking at getting more heat into the house and the possibility of changing the current radiators from the current type 21 to the wider type 22, but will we notice a difference? Comparing the same size rads gives a difference of around 1000 BTu/300 watts? We cant increase the size of the rads due to not wanting to change the pipe work/dig out the walls.

The insulation is already sorted throughout the house as much as possible.

What does the hive of STW think?

BigJohn

CBA to look up what a type 21 or 22 is but I know that I regularly swap a big single panel for a double panel, double convector which is a lot smaller , but larger Kw and the result is a warmer room.

phil5556

Yes. We have a few type 22s and they are loads warmer.

Your pipes will need tweaking though as the valves will sit further from the wall.

matt_outandabout

How old are your existing 21’s? I’ve swapped leaking old rads for new ones, and the higher efficiency was noticeable.

Going to a 22 will kick out a chunk more heat, and hold it longer.

Can you add to the height? I’ve changed one in our house, and was able to good 200mm higher to increase output.

matt_outandabout

Also, if an outside wall, get a wall reflector fitted.

matt_outandabout

Last thought – how are your TRV’s, are you sure they’re working well?

crapjumper
    Free Member

Exactly as phil5556 said . Lots warmer but pipes needed the slightest bend at the valves due to the centre of the rad being slightly further out from the wall

rocco

Thanks all. The radiators and TRVs are about 4 years old. Already have reflector behind them as they sit on an outside wall.

Don’t mind altering pipes as there is a convenient join that could be split, the rest of the pipes are in the wall so don’t fancy digging them out.

Reckon they could be bent out slightly to accommodate wider rad or should I do it the proper way and make a slightly longer pipe up?

sadexpunk

sorry for the hijack, but we need to replace our bathroom radiator, its badly rusted due to condensation. we’ve hopefully improved our condensation issues now and so looking to replace it.

im told ‘white ones work hold more heat than silver’, but this white one has been crap (altho as i said, probably down to moisture in the air).

its a towel radiator and we’re looking to just replace size for size to save drilling into tiles and moving pipework.
    what type of metal would you recommend?

thanks

cp

its a towel radiator

towel rads are crap for heat output = I don’t know why folk put them in as a source of heat for a room. Would be fine with UFH but on their own they’re terrible. Compare towel rad heat outputs compared to a modern convector rad and the heat output difference is huge.

We put a dinky Type 21 in our bathroom to replace a towel rad the previous owner put in. Difference was going from a cold bathroom to a warm bathroom.

phil5556

Would be fine with UFH but on their own they’re terrible

Like cp says – We have quite a big one, it’s mostly just to dry towels with an electric element too for the summer, it doesn’t really heat the room. The underfloor heating keeps the room nice & warm.

timba
    Free Member

this white one has been crap

How long has it been in?
    I’ve just replaced a white Acova column rad in our very condensation-prone Victorian bathroom after 15 years (warranty is 5 years). Rust had started to appear in the joins between each column element. They’re not cheap though

sadexpunk

How long has it been in?

only about 3 years and looks awful.

towel rads are crap for heat output = I don’t know why folk put them in as a source of heat for a room.

ours isnt in to make a big difference to heat, its a smallish room anyway, but more to dry the towels after baths/showers. and its not on a lot, i tend to be a bit tight with the heating….

so its replacement would only need to kick out some heat and ‘not look crap through going rusty’. nwouldnt appear to be a big ask 😀

phil5556

If you kept it on it wouldn’t get covered in condensation and wouldn’t rust 😉

5lab

It’s probably worth checking your boiler has the capacity to output more heat than it does right now. If the existing rads aren’t roasting hot to the touch then making them bigger will make naff-all difference

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Exciting radiator question – will I notice the difference in heat?’ is closed to new replies.