Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Exciting new POV toy
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve always fancied a POV camera and have experimented with some cheapo ones with little success. I couldn’t really justify a GoPro or similar due to the cost.

This little toy turned up in the post today. It’s a mount that my iPhone clips into. I’ve always been impressed with iPhone video footage so looking forward to trying this when out skiing and biking. Will let you know how I get on… 😀

[EDIT – I can 100% guarantee I’m nothing to do with this company. I was just excited about my new toy]

New toy by stilltortoise, on Flickr

gogg
    Free Member

So what does it cost? looks like a cheaper option for people with bling phones.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

£60. I think the iPhone 4 version is a bit cheaper. Now I’ve typed that it sounds expensive for what it is, but the way I’ve justified it to myself is that it is a lot cheaper than a GoPro and to be honest I don’t really need any more gadgets to carry around with me.

Clicky if you’re interested

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Hope it’s well insulated. My iPhone battery soon dies when it gets cold.
    Needs to be kept in an inside pocket on the commute at this time of year.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My iPhone battery soon dies when it gets cold.

If this gadget allows me to get an hour to two of POV footage over the course of a week’s skiing I’d be happy. I can’t imagine for one minute my iPhone battery lasting long in the winter Alpine air.

nealglover
    Free Member

Won’t you just get footage of the front wheel or top tube when on the bike ?

And the ground in front of you when skiing I would imagine (unless you ski stood bolt upright)

Drac

Looks just like one on Fresh Goods Friday.

I’d be tempted use and old iPhone but not my current one.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Won’t you just get footage of the front wheel or top tube when on the bike ?

It is adjustable by, at an estimate, a good 30 degrees or so from horizontal so 60 degrees in total.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Looks just like one on Fresh Goods Friday.

It might well be. I can’t remember where I first saw one but it could well have been on here

gogg
    Free Member

GoPro chesty mount at £34.99, doesn’t make it seem like such bad value.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Some footage at the end here, looks ok?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvECU8Ib7IE[/video]

stumpy01

gogg – Member
    GoPro chesty mount at £34.99, doesn’t make it seem like such bad value.

It’s £60 for a plastic box with a strap attached? Is that right? Seems like a lot of money for what it is, unless I’ve missed something?

How much battery life would you get out of a phone while recording video? Might be worth getting one of those charge bank things to top the phone up during the day?

Would the iPhone be more capable than something like this, at £50.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636417.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

trail_rat
    Free Member

ill stick to using my roadhawk – at 99 quid rather than strapping a 500 quid phone to my chest.

especially since the iphones very slow to react to changing light conditions

zilog6128

It’s £60 for a plastic box with a strap attached? Is that right? Seems like a lot of money for what it is, unless I’ve missed something?

I think it also comes with a wide-angle lens; the field of view would be way too narrow otherwise. Seems OK value to me, especially if it offers decent impact protection/waterproofing for the phone.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Would the iPhone be more capable than something like this, at £50.

Don’t know. Probably? Maybe not? Who knows?

£60 is a lot of money for some plastic and some elastic (EDIT – and a wide angle lens), but I know from experience that the iPhone does produce very good HD footage. Spending £60 to allow me to use it as a POV camera is a more sensible option than spending £50 on an unknown quantity then another £x trying to mount it to my chest.

“Value for money” is subjective of course, but this is the right solution for my problem at a price I was happy to pay. Whether it’s any good or not only time will tell…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Exciting new POV toy’ is closed to new replies.