Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Excited about running?
  • matt_bl
    Free Member

I'm entered for the Edinburgh marathon this Sunday and to say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement.

For the last two days I have barely got any work done as I've been like a five year old on Christmas Eve. Although I know there are five 'sleeps' to go, I'm already bouncing off the walls, thinking about what points I'm going to drink at, what kit I'll wear if it's 10, 11, 12…….25 degrees, so much so that I doubt I'll have any energy left to run.

Does anyone else get this hyper about events or have I just come slightly unhinged?

Matt

IanMunro
    Free Member

I get more excited at the prospect of a run than a bike ride now. I just love the moments when it all comes together and I can run in total silence and creep up on people unnoticed. Though that might just be the latent stalker in me 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

thinking about what points I'm going to drink at,

that'll be all of them

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Surf-Mat
    Free Member

About to go for a run actually – but more like 4-5 miles instead of 26!

Get very excited before a race – but also nervous as hell.

stever
    Free Member

I think you get a bit giddy when you're tapering for something big – all that pent up energy waiting to pop 🙂

tomzo
    Free Member

I love running, get such a buzz of it. Really strange but very satisfying as a sport.

zaskar
    Free Member

Used to love running but saving my knees.

Half marathons all over the place! ST Ives is good too.

matt_bl
    Free Member

stever – Member
    I think you get a bit giddy when you're tapering for something big – all that pent up energy waiting to pop

I think you may be on to something there. Plus I did the Manchester 10Km on Sunday and smashed my time from last year by 5 minutes whilst taking it steady. As you can imagine this hasn't help me maintain much of a sense of perspective!

Matt

FraserCook

I will also be running Edinburgh Marathon on Sunday. I was more nervous/exited last year as it was my first ever marathon. Now as a veteran of 'one' previous marathon, i am much more calm and collected. 8)

Go to the start line, run till the finish line.Drink lucozade every time they offer it. Drink beer when finished!
    I tend to get knots of excitement on race day tho, no matter what the race.
    I am still debating if drinking a couple of glasses of wine on Friday night will have any detrimental effect on Sunday?

stever
    Free Member

Friday as well as Saturday you mean?
    😉

matt_bl
    Free Member

FraserCook – Member
    I will also be running Edinburgh Marathon on Sunday. I was more nervous/exited last year as it was my first ever marathon. Now as a veteran of 'one' previous marathon, i am much more calm and collected.

Yep, that's me a first-time nervous/excited wreck! I've got the support crew with the post-race beer sorted already, but I'm going to give it a miss beforehand. This time 😀

FraserCook

defo no booze on saturday, as if anything have to be able to justify sunday celebratory drinks. Of course for bike based events, i wouldn't think twice. Running is hard enough tho without making things intentionally more difficult for myself, it would defeat the purpose of training for all these weeks!
    Conventional wisdom seems to be no booze the week before. But i wonder how much difference say 1/2 a bottle of wine on a Friday night would really make?

surfer
    Free Member

Its normal to be nervous before a "big" race but even a sleepless night before a race shouldnt be a problem.
    I think it was Brendan Foster who used to say that even if you cant sleep, lie in bed anyway and rest. If your body is in good shape and you have rested well the days leading up to the event the final night wont have a negative impact.

I recall racing in Ireland and enjoying the pre race hospitality the night before!!! I never hit the bed until 4 and was up at 8 to prepare for a 10 am start, still ran quite fast but was exhausted later!

Enjoy the run!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Flippin eck – that was the hottest, most humid run in ages – I'm sitting here like a sweat fountain! Nice though.

Jamie
    Free Member

I get more excited at the prospect of a run than a bike ride now.

Likewise.

Shame i have might have to lay off for a bit.

alexxx
    Free Member

I was at my first downhill race the other week, no pressure on myself yet I still yawned about 100x and pee'd everytime I got to the top of the hill before setting off (not in my pants I might add)

Its weird what your body does naturally even when you think your being a cool cucumber

uplink
    Free Member

even a sleepless night before a race shouldnt be a problem.

The night before is not a problem for most people as long as you had a good sleep the night before that

surfer
    Free Member

Thats what I said!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Excited about running?’ is closed to new replies.