Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • ExcelStatWorld
  • nicko74

V quick and probably dumb Excel question: I already have means and standard deviations for two samples, and want to run a quick t-test within Excel using those values. The options I’ve found all assume I have the raw observation data, rather than the means and SDs.

So… how do I go about just entering the means, SD and sample size and getting the t-test output?

ETA: I want to do it in Excel as I have a stack of these tests to run, and the means, sample sizes and SDs are all already in Excel

Stoner
    Free Member

from the means, sds and sample sizes you can get back to the sum of teh squares for each distribution and then run them back through the t-test formula I think.

None of that is excel forumlae though, just algebra.

poly
    Free Member

I’m not sure a t-test can really be considered valid if you don’t have the raw data*?  I’m rusty but is that not when a z-test might be more useful?

*i presume it assumes a normal distribution.

nicko74

Thank you, it’s helpful. I’ve gone back to the raw data to bring that into Excel; it’s a bit more hassle, but pushes the more cerebrally challenging part (the stats testing) onto Excel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ExcelStatWorld’ is closed to new replies.