Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Excel Help – Show data in a cell without expanding the row?
  • Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have a spread sheet of actions, with a unique reference on each row. Each unique action may have a number of actions within it.

With 50 + unique references it is a pain in to have each row expanded to show all the text in the actions column. It would be ideal just to be able to hover on the action cell and the detail ‘pop up’.

I don’t want to use comments as I assume they don’t work on filters ie if I was looking for all actions that contained key words.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Premier Icon danti

Would wrapping the reference work?

Premier Icon nbt
    Free Member

you can expand the size of the “editing” cell at the top that is populated when you click on a cell?

excel editing

to thr right of this arrow

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wrapping used as standard.

Viewing at the top still means you have to use a scroll down and it’s limited to 3 rows of data at a time.

The ideal solution would be comments… if I could get the comments to auto update with the content of the cell.

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Actually just randomly found that double clicking on the cell expands it to show full content. When you click elsewhere it returns to ‘normal’ size

Premier Icon TheFlyingOx
    Free Member

if I could get the comments to auto update with the content of the cell

Not quite auto-update, but this does 99% of what you want: https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/764-excel-convert-cell-contents-to-comment.html#a1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.