• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • EXCEL gurus in the room?
  • james-rennie

Hello – There’s a huge csv file that needs to be split to manageable chunks to open in excel.
    Can anyone recommend a safe free csv file splitter download not riddled with malware, viruses, etc ?
    THANKS!

Cletus
    thepurist

Wordpad?

dissonance

If it is a one off I would just do it in NotePad++ manually.

oldtennisshoes

Edit

Depends how you want to split it. If it’s by rows, then any text editor should do it.
    If by columns, then I’d import it into Google Sheets or just use Excel on the big file.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

A huge csv file that needs splitting down so you can handle it you say? This isn’t track and trace details for the 615k people pinged this week is it?

IHN

How huge is huge? Excel can handle pretty mahoosive files these days.

Rubber_Buccaneer

To not answer your question, I’ve never enjoyed the way excel likes to mess with the data in .csv files so I’d suggest importing to a database table instead.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Try this https://www.splitcsv.com/ but please be aware that the data in the file will be out of your control and my not be secure.

Notepad++ cannot open files that are larger than 2GB so that may be an issue.

Apropos of nothing both Notepad++ and Wordpad may not be suitable for this as it’s possible to have a CR or CRLF in a CSV file (embedded in quotes) and this can cause a problem when working in text editors.

Cougar

Install the x64 version of Excel and stop fannying about. (-:

Cougar

Failing that,

If it helps your googling any, a CSV is just a text file. So you’re not looking for a CSV splitter per se, you’re simply looking for something that can slice text files.

leffeboy

Are you opening the file from within Excel (Data/From text csv) rather than double clicking on the file.  That can make a huge difference in Excel’s ability to open it

Olly
    Free Member

Data > Manage Model
    and then once in the model manager > Add data from other sources > your CSV

(or there abouts)

Import the CSV into a datamodel, which i think wont have the same limitations as the main sheet.
    Then excel should connect into the model and you can get at it as a pivot table.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘EXCEL gurus in the room?’ is closed to new replies.