Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Excel file saved as XML – won't open in Excel
  • cakefest
    Free Member

I accidentally saved an XLS file as an XML file, and now it won’t open in Excel.

Anyone got any clues on what I can do now to get the XLS file open?

duntstick
    Free Member

Can you ‘save as’ an xls file again?

here

cakefest
    Free Member

Excel won’t even open the xls.

mark90
    Free Member

Have you tried the import data from xml file option as well as directly opening the file?

If it won’t open or import I’d suggest checking the syntax of the xml file. Open it in a text editor (eg notepad) and copy/paste the text into an online xml validator. See if that flags up any errors.

Stoner
    Free Member

have you tried simply renaming the file with the .xls file extension, Excel might be able to sort itself out automatically.

cakefest
    Free Member

renaming has the same effect as trying to open with excel. doesn’t like it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d second the XML validator route.
    Strip out all the guff, might take an age to do mind..
    Or…
    Own up, get another copy of the file. 😉

We’ve all been there at some point. I screwed up an important file, due next day, got a strip torn out of me, took me three days to sort it.. 😆

Ohhh the days !!

scaredypants

I’ve just tried it with my excel – saved as .xml, closed, reopened no bother at all

reckon you may have more than just the wrong suffix going on there

scaredypants

? try openoffice ?

raisinhat
    Free Member

Try opening it in a text editor, then re-saving it from there. Given that you can’t even change the extension, it sounds like you’ve got a corrupt file. It might not be salvageable.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Excel file saved as XML – won't open in Excel’ is closed to new replies.