• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by luket.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Excel / accounting guru’s – who owes what?
  • Sui
    Free Member

Picture the scene – big group holiday, lots of fun, drinking eating and paying for things (tabs/dinners) randomly depending on how drunk you are/ late to the table. Roll on a couple of months, we’re now trying to figure out who owes what to who.

So most people know roughly what’s been spent (the sickening site of cc bills), ranging from £1100 down to £400 – how on earth do you figure what goes to who? there’s 7 people in total. I thought i could weight the difference after rounding everyone up to the highest number, but then my brain started to hurt..

im sure this should be simple, but i’ve gone blank, any ideas?

thanks

thepurist

Depends – are you just splitting the total or do you have the “I only had soup and a soft drink” type to deal with?

sing1etrack

Don’t bother trying to figure it out yourself, just use the Splitwise app to do it for you

kelron
    Free Member

If you’re going for an even split –

Add up total spend.
    Divide by 7 to get what each person should have spent.
    Get anyone who spent less to send you the difference (if they trust you).
    Divide amongst the people who spent more.

If you’re not doing an even split, good luck I guess.

Superficial
    Free Member

You can probably do the math(s) in Excel, but you could also use this: https://www.kittysplit.com/en/

Everyone puts in what they paid for and who benefited (E.g. if you only paid for a meal but only half the group attended, you can tell the website that. At the end it works out that if Person1 pays Person 4 £n and Person5 pays Person2 £m, everything is balanced. There are loads of apps that will do the same thing.

Makes more sense to do it at the time of paying for things so it’s fresh in the mind, mind.

the-muffin-man

Splitting a load of food and drink bills – months after the event – good luck with that! 🙂

Sui
    Free Member

thanks all,

No not needing to split per meal/drink – just the total spend so it avergaes out that everyone spent the same..

IHN

What Kelron said

Chew
    Free Member

Depends on the group

If its good mates its usually these things cancel themselves out in the long run so we never bother
    (although this is usually just for beers)

Trying to sort it out months after the event is never going to end well…..

Sui
    Free Member

all sorted – looks like one of the group anaysts managed to come up with the same number as the splitwise app, which i might add is really good. i shall download that!

thanks all.

Killer
    Free Member

splitwise App is the winner for this kind of stuff

onehundredthidiot

We front load it. Last France trip was paid for over two years at £65 per month.

Everyone is entitled to £217 back now. Looks like we’re having another weekend away. 😃

luket

Tricount is a other app for the same purpose. Whenever we go away on a group trip we have one of those on the go and it sorts it all out in real time. It’s a breath of fresh air compared with either a cash kitty or a spreadsheet after the fact.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.