EWS getting into bed with UCI

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • EWS getting into bed with UCI
  • alpin

http://www.enduroworldseries.com/ews-to-work-with-the-uci-rainbow-jerseys-to-be-awarded-to-national-teams-at-trophy-of-nations/

Not sure if this is a good thing or not. The EWS seems to be very successful without the need for the UCI to be involved.

I’m surprised as there are lots of comments suggesting that there should be an independent worldwide DH series similar to the EWS.

For me part of the things that appeals to me is that the EWS is an independent body. Can’t see how adding a Rainbow Jersey is going to add to the EWS ….

Personally I think the UCI sucks.

whatnobeer

Whats the Trophy of Nations? Will that be the world champs for Enduro?

Some of the UCI stuff will be a benefit, anti doping regulations etc but things will go downhill quickly if they start placing demands like they do for DH on to the series….

dovebiker

If they have Olympic aspirations, they can’t do it without the UCI

legend

I assume Chris Ball makes more money by making this deal, otherwise I fail to see the point. can the UCI actually protect the rainbow jersey from other folk using it anyway?

whatnobeer

Chris Ball used to work for the UCI so I assume he knows what theyre about and  the dialog they’ve been having is constructive and will let the EWS keep the control they feel need.

I hope this doesnt lead to either an increase in costs due to extra rules. The EWS rule book is notoriously short and simple and has been kept so as much as possible. The UCI on the otherhand…. It’d be really shit to see manufacturer teams dropping out or less privateers racing due to silly uniform rules or frame testing requirements.

tpbiker

Given the popularity of cycling, getting another event on the Olympic roster would be ace, and if this move helps then all good. Aside from all the totally rubbish sports that are represented, track cycling has about 30 different variants that all look the same, where as normal cycling, which far more folks can relate to, has 3. I’d throw cx into the mix as well.

But that may interfere with the schedule to fit in a thousand and one rowing events and all the swimming.

mikewsmith

Respect to Chris and the team for getting this to the point where they are up there as one of the best race series that is still accessible to the mere mortal.

I’d have trust that they are doing this in the interest in developing the series and sport rather than simple self interest. The support for doping control and aligning with national feds etc and scheduling so racers can do a combination of DH/Enduro/WCXC

whatnobeer

Could this also help kick the UCI into gear to support mountain biking a bit more? DH especially needs more support at the lower levels and clear pathways for progress to the upper levels. If the EWS and the UCI can work well together then maybe there’ll be a trickle down/across effect to the other disciplines.

alpin

not sure why enduro needs to/should be in the olympics considering DH hasn’t had a look in despite being under the UCI’s umbrella for years.

i kinda like the fact that enduro racing isn’t filled with rules and entry into it isn’t a minefield of rules and regulations.

i also wonder whether the UCI will be taking a cut from the EWS meaning that venues and sponsers are going to have to front up more?

are spectators going to be charged (as they are at UCI DH races) to watch the riders out on track?

alpin

Hmmm…. Still really none the wiser.

I reckon that the UCI were going to start up their own enduro series and the EWS didn’t want that so jumped in with the UCI.

mikewsmith

None the wiser?

We’ve been talking to the UCI since we started the EWS, and since his election David Lappartient has accelerated things.

I’ve lost track of how many versions of an agreement we’ve had over the years. Going back and forth, us reaching understandings about what they need, trying to understand what responsibilities each party should have, and both of us operating at the level we want to.

Unless. You don’t believe people that is fairly clear

Premier Icon justinbieber
    Subscriber

I think it’s absolutely brilliant. Reading the interview on Pinkbike, I can’t see the EWS losing any of it’s appeal or integrity, and the huge benefit is that it legitimises the series and thus the sport (of enduro) in the eyes of the wider cycling world.

rene59

the huge benefit is that it legitimises the series and thus the sport (of enduro) in the eyes of the wider cycling world.

I don’t think anyone involved in enduro could give a shit about what the wider cycling world makes of them.

tpbiker

I wonder if redbull will pick up the coverage in the same way as the they do for down hill and xc

Premier Icon justinbieber
    Subscriber

@rene59 – I was meaning national cycling organisations. If I recall correctly, British cycling washed their hands of enduro a few years back. This might make them sit up and pay attention to it again now it has UCI backing ?

Premier Icon benpinnick
    Subscriber

Ultimately we remain in control of our series. Our structures will remain the same. We will help the UCI write the rulebook for enduro globally, that they can then apply to the wider National Federations.

I love the language… ‘They can apply to the wider federations’. Im not sure what the situation is outside of the UK but I am fairly sure for the majority of riders at least the re-involvement of our national federation in Enduro would be about as welcome as a floater in the swimming pool.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.