Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 286 total)
  • evolution/creationism
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

The point of the statement is that folk can't really expect to be taken seriously if they say "Yeah He's this big ghost with a beard and sandals who created everything" and then point to some obscure theoretical particle physics and say "Look there he is!"

Yep, he's right. No fudging. Religion aint science, cos science is about removing doubt, and doubt is one of the necessary components of faith … I think?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

cos science is about removing doubt

and unfounded assertion. Isn't science the formalisation of doubt ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Sorry Graham, mis-read your original post.

You could claim that God could be more than one thing. Very common in world religions, in fact.

The idea of God actually being the Higgs boson doesn't realy stand up though. Higgs boson being some kind of manifestation, or intrusion into our dimensions – that's another possibility. But equally, so could all matter.

But that's all theoretical. God really exists as an artefact of religions – that is unquestionable. Where the universe came from is something of a different debate. As is the true nature of reality. If we live in but three dimensions of many, then a hell of a lot of weird things are possible.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Isn't science the formalisation of doubt ?

Isn't that the process, rather than the output?

So scientific enquiry formalises doubt and investigates … resulting in scientific proof, with doubt removed … ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This all getting a bit philosophical now…

Just to repeat…Big Bang: Bollocks!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Big Bang: Bollocks!

🙂

GrahamS

alex222 – Member
    Why not Graham?

Because if "god" can be openly defined as anything, everything or nothing, observable or unobservable, physical, mental, or supernatural then surely everyone must believe in he/she/them/it/other, as literally everything (and nothing) is evidence.

or as MrSalmon succinctly put it: "you're not talking about anything anymore. Sure it's big and mystical sounding but it's just noise"

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

resulting in scientific proof, with doubt removed … ?

resulting in a new hypothesis more consistent with observed measurements…

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

resulting in a new hypothesis more consistent with observed measurements…

Ah, OK.

Anyway, I think the sentiment of my original comment still stands. You can't cook up some particles in a big test tube and say 'Look – there's God!'.

alex222
    Free Member

Graham/Mol I think you missunderstood me I wasn't saying that god was actually the higgs boson or lust for that matter or that I thought either of those things, I was trying to illustrate my earlier point that there are some parallels to be drawn with religion and science. I think Mols superior knowledge and grasp of the english language allows him to make the point far more eloquently.

Science I guess is the formalisation of doubt. Purely in the sense that the more answers you get the more questions appear. Or to go back the the hitchhickers guide to the galaxy you can only know the answer to the ultimate question or the question to the ultimate answer at any one time. Ie 42 is the nswer but no one knows what too.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can't cook up some particles in a big test tube and say 'Look – there's God!'.

Again – why not? 🙂

I was trying to illustrate my earlier point that there are some parallels to be drawn with religion and science

Absolutely. Closed minded supporters being one of them, apparently!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Again – why not?

Well, you can if you want.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep. Your values are yours, others have their own. It really is the to the whole debate.

Lifer
    Free Member

Padre
    Would you like a drink of… something? Tea, coffee… juice?

Daglass
    I’d love a glass of water…

Padre
    NO! That’s… mine.

Daglass
    Alright, don’t sweat it, I’ll suck a mint. I’ll come straight to the point. (Approaches the Padre) Where does the church stand on the matter of evolution?

Padre
    (Looking very shifty now… pauses) Monkeys were created by God to entertain us. That's all we know Rick.

Daglass
    But surely…

Padre
    THAT’S ALL WE KNOW RICK!

Daglass
    (Retreats now looking very suspicious) Yeah… Sure Padre. I think I understand. Come on Liz. (He takes her hand and leads her out the vestry)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Closed minded supporters being one of them

I've gone the other way in accepting the possible existence of any number of gods & hypergods up to infinity

GrahamS

Yep. Your values are yours, others have their own. It really is the to the whole debate.

And without some kind of definition as to what "god" means to either side then any debate is completely worthless.

"Do you believe in God?"
    "Well no, as it happens I believe that.."
    "But I have a God right here, look."
    "That's a toothbrush"
    "Yes, and I use His divine bristles to keep my teeth free from the sin of plaque"
    "Right, well given your definition, then yes I do believe in "god" and the sactity of oral hygiene"

molgrips
    Free Member

any debate is completely worthless

We have a winner!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

As in 'you can if you want … but it would be meaningless'

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

As in 'you can if you want … but it would be meaningless'

life, the universe and everything are meaningless, but luckily it doesn't stop them being fun :o)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Is everyone else seeing the Darwin 'ad' on the right?
    😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Is everyone else seeing the Darwin 'ad' on the right?

what can we buy ?

GrahamS

I'm seeing adverts for "The God That Wasn't There" DVD.

Presumably the pro-deity lobby are seeing adverts for a local Alpha Course or something?

Intelligent design in action? 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Selected content from a special issue of Nature on biodiversity. OK, so it's not Darwin as such, but his picture's on it. Get 'em while they're hot!

molgrips
    Free Member

I prefer the JE James advert 🙂

splatz
    Free Member

So please someone tell me why this god (in his all knowing and infinite kindness)was looking the other way when Catholic priests were abusing children…..and what was he doing while Pope Benedict and his clerics were shredding the documents and sweeping the dirt under the carpet?

C'mon guys……he doesn't exist does he?

duckman

Have we talked ourselves back into our respective corners yet?

alex222
    Free Member

So please someone tell me why this god (in his all knowing and infinite kindness)was looking the other way when Catholic priests were abusing children..

?

tazzymtb

tyger
    Free Member

Of course if you believe in a loving God then there is also a destructive Devil but to quote a line from a well known film..

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

molgrips
    Free Member

So please someone tell me why this god (in his all knowing and infinite kindness)was looking the other way when Catholic priests were abusing children…..and what was he doing while Pope Benedict and his clerics were shredding the documents and sweeping the dirt under the carpet?

Why do you expect us to be able to explain God's actions?

splatz
    Free Member

Thanks molgrips…..is that it?

The believers all join hands and look the other way too…..not much of an answer is it?

molgrips
    Free Member

God's plan would be a difficult thing for us to understand.

Human beings looking the other way though is an entirely different thing though and despicable.

I am approaching the limits of my atheist's understanding of Christianity though on this topic…

splatz
    Free Member

Think I reached my limit when I had my 5th birthday……

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did you believe in Father Christmas when your were five splatz?

tazzymtb

we were created in gods* image, which means that based on the average STW forumite he's going to be a complete cockend, never have any idea about tyres or what something is worth and if pushed, will righteously smite you with bombers

*not sure which god though as most of you a lardy bast*rds so it's probably budda

edhornby

apologies people, I've been offline for a while and CBA'd to read all 7 pages, have we got a winner yet?

molgrips
    Free Member

I said understanding, not belief in.

Rather than just slag stuff off, I like to try and understand it a bit. Makes life a lot more interesting.

molgrips
    Free Member

have we got a winner yet

If you read the whole thing, and follow the subtle sub-text of the conversation, you will realise that I am the winner.

westkipper
    Free Member

tazzy, there's no scientific evidence, despite the statues, that Siddharta was ever fat. 😉
    And thats my late contribution to this thread.

tazzymtb

molgrips, I'll let you think that! For I am a kindly god and wouldn't want to cause undue suffering to my creations (unless you ride a single speed, in which case you deserve everything you get)

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 286 total)

The topic ‘evolution/creationism’ is closed to new replies.