• This topic has 47 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • EVIL the following
  • J273
    Free Member

Really like the look of one of these for my next frame. Ive read all the horror stories which puts me off a bit but then ive read the reviews and i want one 🙂

Are the 2016/17 frames the same? have they fixed the seatpost rub issue on the later models?

For those of you who have ridden one what are our thoughts?

I like the look of the wreckoning but after test riding an enduro 29er. The 160+ fork and 29er wheel i didn’t like it at all so im more swayed towards the following.

Ive seen frame only for 2K has anyone seen any better deals about?

Thanks

mrhoppy

Not with a 10 foot stunt cock.

z1ppy

I’ve had one since June last year, took a chance as it fitted my requirements when nothing else did, and I don’t regret it. I wanted a short travel slack 29er, though went for the XL to get more reach (6ft 2). There no changes to the frame to my knowledge, other than change in the colours available
    From my point of view the ‘Horror stories’ are lots of non-owners hyping up ‘some’ frames quality issues (on the following, I’m fully aware of their Evils history), seemingly in order to justify there rants. All the UK issues reported on here have been sorted by Silverfish (to my knowledge), as soon as Silverfish got involved, any ‘issues’ seemed to be dealers not talking to SF. There is no overall issue to resolve, as mine doesn’t any, nor any of those sold by my dealer. I have 3 dealers locally (Droitwich, Halesowen and Church Stretton) who have been happy to take on the ‘risk’ of dealing them and mine is fine after 1800 miles & a year and half.
    I wouldn’t judge the Wreckoning by riding a Spesh, as I tried the Spesh and bought the following, not that I personally want any more travel.
    Missing link in Droitwich have a demo Wreckoning if your any where close.

wiggles
    Free Member

My mate has one and when he had to take the reverb out to sent it off for warranty (as you do) the sheath inside the frame came out with the hose…

wrecker
    Free Member

Not with a 10 foot rented stunt cock.

FTFY!

butterbean
    Free Member

2 hard riding friends both bought one, both cracked them, then both cracked the replacements.

They sold the third ones & bought Stumpies.

There is plenty of choice out there of bikes that do the same without the issues.

Rumours of one of the biggest US dealers floating around of piles of broken frames waiting for warranty replacements.

No smoke without out fire, same old Evil.

fd3chris
    Free Member

These threads never go well..

singlespeedstu

Where do you rent a stunt cock from?

wiggles
    Free Member

Why enterprise rent-a-cock of course

singlespeedstu

More importantly what kind of stunts can they do?

bonjye
    Free Member

Blazing Bikes have frames for 1900 currently. I got mine from there in the summer and love it- best bike I’ve ever ridden, only the yeti asr5c comes close. Not snapped it yet 🙂

davidxbrown
    Free Member

I have one, everything to like about it, had it over a year now no issues other than a recent change of bearings at around 2500km of riding. It really is a great bike, if it broke I would buy another no hesitation.

CheesybeanZ

More importantly what kind of stunts can they do?

Hands free bike jousting 😡

wrecker
    Free Member

Not snapped it yet

What about now?

Now?

Only joking. They are lovely looking things, which by all accounts are monstrous on the trail. It’s just the shite support coupled with stories of failure which give me the heebie jeebies.

dirtydog
    Free Member

What about now?

Now?

ROFL Reply of the week 😆

Wookster

singlespeedstu – Member
    Where do you rent a stunt cock from?

POSTED 16 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

……Hora…..

newrobdob
    Free Member

I can’t believe you’d seriously consider wasting spending £2k on a frame which has a known history of cracking and subsequent horror stories.

They can’t deliver such an amazing experience that it’s worth the gamble, surely?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Given that no one here who owns one has broken one, just blowing a lot of hot air about mates of mates or no specific known failures, I think they are a much safer bet than they used to be.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Given that no one here who owns one

You mean a Reckoning or an Evil frame generally?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/evil-bikes-warranty-2016-still-terrible

J273
    Free Member

Think the evil will be too much of a risk having a think about it which is a shame as it looks like the perfect frame I’m after.

What else should I be considering short travel 29er?

I’ve had a 13′ stumpy 29er but I didn’t get on with it are the newer frames with swat a different beast to the first gen 29er stumpy’s?

I wouldn’t mind a camber but I’ve pretty much always had spesh and fancy something different.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind a camber but I’ve pretty much always had spesh and fancy something different more expensive, snappier, and without the excellent warranty back up.

FTFY.

wiggles
    Free Member

Just to add my mate that pulled his sheath out while removing the reverb was told it wasn’t warranty because “it must have been pulled to hard” and they just shoved a new bit of cable routing in the frame so there is now two lots of sheaths in the frame.

ratherbeintobago

Is that rattly?

lock
    Free Member

Had mine best part of 2 years no problems at all fantastic bike .
    Be interested to know how many frames been sold to how many issues ,every bike brand has had warranties ,

chestrockwell

That’s the main problem isn’t it? They are sold with warranties that the company then tries to wriggle out of.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Nearly 2 years with mine, zero problems. Makes the the trail come alive in ways I never thought possible.

Definitely went into the purchase eyes wide open to past problems but chose to take a gamble and not regretted it one bit.

andylc
    Free Member

One thing we can be sure of is that owning an Evil seems to be intricately linked with talking in immense cliches….

ratherbeintobago

Makes the the trail come alive in ways I never thought possible.

Aren’t the wheels the wrong size?

fd3chris
    Free Member

I just wouldn’t give my hard earned to a company that doesn’t give a about you after.

mboy
    Free Member

Speaking as someone who’s sold a lot of them, several owned by members of this forum, the only issue we’ve seen was one owner running a 2.4″ Ardent in the rear (Evil have stated this tyre is not recommended) with the linkage in the low position, and the flexiest rear wheel I’ve come across in a long time! Spoke tensions were very low… How it didn’t taco the moment he got on it (fast rider by all accounts) I don’t know. Oh yeah and he had too little air in his shock so was bottoming it out frequently anyway.

To prove the point to this customer I showed him mine… removed all the air from my shock, bounced up and down on it, and the tyre didn’t come within about 8mm of touching the frame!

Warrantys are there for a purpose. They don’t protect you if you wilfully choose to ignore the manufacturers guidelines!

Anyway… Great frame, yes Evil have a chequered past but shifting production to the same factory as Santa Cruz seems to have been a huge step change in the right direction as far as quality goes. They’re not perfect, the seat tube could do with being maybe a degree steeper if I’m totally honest (I had to run my saddle all the way forward on the rails to get my desired seating position, but that was in the low setting, steeper SA would also give more tyre clearance), but every bike is a compromise. For my riding, the Following is/was the best compromise and it proved to be an awesome bike!

I’m on a Wreckoning now, which is more of the same just beefier. Slightly more confidence on the descents owing to the extra travel, slightly slower on the way up owing to a bit of extra weight and the travel.

For those still not convinced… Other bikes are available. Have a Medium Wreckoning and an XL Following demo bike available if anyone would like to try before they buy FWIW…

philxx1975
    Free Member

the only issue we’ve seen was one owner running a 2.4″ Ardent in the rear (Evil have stated this tyre is not recommended)

Was it the one mentioned in the link I attached here.

Handled worse than a Brailsford drugs drop.

butterbean
    Free Member

Given that no one here who owns one has broken one, just blowing a lot of hot air about mates of mates or no specific known failures, I think they are a much safer bet than they used to be.

Sounds like some purchase justification to me. The 2 friends I spoke of both cracked one each on group rides I was attending.

If we’re talking mates of mates I can add a couple more in there from the Surrey HIlls Shredders brigade, all of whom are fans of the short travel 29″ thing. My polite hat might suggest if you are not the fastest rider, biggest jumper, or hardest cornerer, you will probably be fine. The quick boys I ride with seem to manage to crack them in impressively fast times.

As to what else to buy, the list is huge. Stumpy, Smuggler, Fuel EX, Prime, Canfield, Process, Whyte 129, Optic, Primer, Tallboy 3/Hightower, etc.

The list of bikes in this category is huge now, most of which don’t have a reputation of falling apart, terrible service & poor support.

Some of these bikes are way more progressive with the geometry too.

Why give yourself a massive potential headache?

mboy
    Free Member

Was it the one mentioned in the link I attached here.

No mate. I’m some 200 miles away from that shop.

Ran 2.3’s on the back of mine without a single problem. Some 2.4’s are ok, but not all. You NEED to check before hand basically, it’s your own look out if you want to run a 2.4 in the back Evil said. The back wheel on this bike was the main culprit though, as flexy as it was, the lack of air in the shock meaning it bottomed out too frequently wasn’t helping either.

The Rockshox Monarch shock ships with no volume reduction spacers as standard, as such the suspension doesn’t quite ramp up enough in my opinion for the 30% sag Evil recommend. I found 1 spacer in the negative and 2 in the positive to be optimal, allowing for 30% sag and for you to just about use all the travel on the biggest hits (again the bike that was eating its own seat tube had none in too compounding the problem).

A rear wheel with half decent spoke tension would have made the biggest difference though, the other issues just compounded the issue.

The quick boys I ride with seem to manage to crack them in impressively fast times.

Where have they been cracking theirs out of interest? I’m far from the hardest rider out there, but have sold a few to guys that are much tastier than me on a bike. All still going strong so far.

The list of bikes in this category is huge now, most of which don’t have a reputation of falling apart, terrible service & poor support.

Working in the industry, I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about most (not quite all) of the other options you’ve mentioned too… I’d never buy another bike again if I believed all the horror stories I read on the internet and acted thus!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surrey HIlls Shredders brigade

*Swoons*

singlespeedstu

I’m far from the hardest rider out there

Quote of 2016 goes to mboy. 😆

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Surrey HIlls Shredders brigade
    *Swoons*

Get out there and beat them to death with your freemincebimbleling then captain.
    That’ll learn em.

mactheknife

Everyone loves to smack others down on here eh? At least mboy puts his money where his mouth is and openly admits the pros and cons of the bikes he sells.

scotroutes

Yep. The one unbiased source you can definitely rely on is someone who sells the product.

singlespeedstu

At least mboy puts his money where his mouth is

Any links to back this up?

mactheknife

Sigh……. 😆

mboy
    Free Member

Quote of 2016 goes to mboy.

Come on, own up… Who put 50p back in the troll?

You had almost been verging on non confrontational for a while, if not quite into the realms of agreeable… What happened? Didn’t get everything we wanted for Christmas?

Any links to back this up?

I think he’s referring to earlier in this thread where I was offering a demo ride on either of our bikes. But there are other instances on other threads on the forum too… You were too busy trolling to notice I suspect.

Yep. The one unbiased source you can definitely rely on is someone who sells the product.

I’m not forced to, I choose to. Agreed I’m not wholly unbiased, but if I didn’t think the bikes were much cop I wouldn’t sell em! Simple as that really… Like I said before, if I believed all the horror stories on the net, I’d never buy another bike again!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘EVIL the following’ is closed to new replies.