Everyone excited about the prospect of a Margaret Thatcher Day?

Home Forum Chat Forum Everyone excited about the prospect of a Margaret Thatcher Day?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Everyone excited about the prospect of a Margaret Thatcher Day?
  • Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Thought so!

second reading scheduled for business today
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/commons/

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2013-2014/0048/cbill_2013-20140048_en_2.htm#l1g1

Amendment of the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971
    (1)The Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971 is amended as follows.
    (2)In Schedule 1, in paragraphs 1 and 3, after β€œthe last Monday in August” there
    is inserted β€œ, Margaret Thatcher Day”.

Do we get flags? I hope we get flags.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Cheeky bastards.

Can’t see it catching on, somehow.

Mr Woppit

If it gets me a day off work, bring it on!

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

I think you probably have that day off already.

tonyd

So if there’s a Maggie day and we get the day off, will the haters still go in to work? I certainly hope so!

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

it’s already a bank holiday, they’re just going to give it a name Woppit. πŸ˜€

EDIT: They’re not going to name it “Woppit Day” though, I mean they’re going to name it “Margaret Thatcher Day”. Just so we’re clear.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

If it gets me a day off work, bring it on!

β€œthe last Monday in August”

I think you can just take the same day off twice πŸ™‚

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

i will self flagellate myself the whole day if i am forced to take a day off work in her name.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of obligation in the Bill for anyone to actually call it that.

If Maggie were doing it, there would be a fine or six months in the clink for anyone seen out not wearing blue.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

We can just rename it Anti-Thatcher day. And spend the day off celebrating her demise.

cybicle

Well, it would be no more ridiculous than Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Easter Sunday etc.

It’s a plan that could spectacularly backfire on the tories; the Notting Hill Carnival is held on August bank holiday weekend. Have they not thought of that? πŸ˜†

Premier Icon chickenman
    Subscriber

They are really trying whatever they can to boost the Scottish independence vote; it’ll work a treat!

Mr Woppit

Stoner – Member

it’s already a bank holiday, they’re just going to give it a name Woppit.

Oops. Didn’t acrually read the links. 😳

“Woppit Day” sounds good to me. I’ll have December 25th, I think.

Well, it would be no more ridiculous than Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Easter Sunday etc.

Good point. Perhaps Margret Thatcher Day could be extended so that it is celebrated throughout the world.

What a fitting way the celebrate the only British Prime Minister in living memory to be sacked whilst in office.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Bring it on. I’m all up for burning Maggie edifices on BHs.

We can make a tradition of roaming the streets, snatching milk from young children as well.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

They are really trying whatever they can to boost the Scottish independence vote; it’ll work a treat!

Doesn’t seem to apply in Scotland, curiously. They will be feeling very left out.

So it actually shows the success of devolution. πŸ™‚

TuckerUK

It depends what we are celebrating. If we are celebrating what she did for me (giving council house owners houses at half price so they could jump up the housing ladder, move into nice areas, and turn them into council estates, giving up on poll tax, so now a person living in a house with 10 people in pays a 5th of what I have to), then no.

But if we are celebrating where she took the UK, then undoubtedly, yes.

5thElefant

Dead and still annoying the lefties. Awesome. πŸ˜€

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Good point. Perhaps Margret Thatcher Day could be extended so that it is celebrated throughout the world.

What a fitting way the celebrate the only British Prime Minister in living memory to be sacked whilst in office.

And every year, all round the world, on Thatcher-day-eve, while everyone sleeps, Father Thatchmas comes down your chimney and steals your milk.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

Father Thatchmas comes down your chimney and steals your milk.

LOL πŸ˜†

bikebouy

Really? they are naming a day after her?

Well blow me down with a white feather.

Why not name all BH’s after an ex PM… I can see “Tony Blair” day going down well too, s’pecially in Iraq’istan.

Junkyard

A rather divisive decision by the Right wingers

It would seem odd that we remember her and not Churchill – Yes I know his record is somewhat mixed but he would be more universally accepted as our greatest PM

How about suggestions for the best way to celebrate the day?

if we are celebrating where she took the UK, then undoubtedly, yes

what record unemployment, North south divide, decimation of the North, Poll tax riots – that is what we will celebrate?

It is daft whatever you think of her as everyone knows you get polarised views so to attempt to celebrate her is divisive and more likely to lead to civil disobedience than bring the country together.

Premier Icon verses
    Subscriber

Shame they can’t hold it on November the 5th… Everyone’s been complaining that the tradition of making Guys has died off…

Premier Icon chickenman
    Subscriber

Yeah Tucker: From a Britain with inefficient industries, to a Britain with no industries. Fantastic! πŸ™

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

How about suggestions for the best way to celebrate the day?

give rupert murdoch a handjob, pick a fight with the ira, shoot a retreating argie in the back, invite jimmy saville round for tea and then kick a northern miner in the nuts?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I can see “Tony Blair” day going down well too

Good idea, every year we can bring peace to the Middle East by invading a random country, killing 500k people and then going home.

cybicle

Dead and still annoying the lefties dividing society. Awesome.

Yeah, fantastic.

5thElefant

Yeah, fantastic.

Is the line still Birmingham?

Junkyard

πŸ˜† @ Kimbers

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

give rupert murdoch a handjob, pick a fight with the ira, shoot a retreating argie in the back, invite jimmy saville round for tea and then kick a northern miner in the nuts?

I miss Saturday nights at the St Stephens Club πŸ™

I think I’ll hang on for Pol Pot friday !!!!

project

Who is this Margret Thatcher you all talk of ………………

Isnt she dead.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Hmmm, can we not just have “Former Prime Minister’s Day” instead, why pick the most divisive, recently deceased one?

Failing that I think we should have “Harold Macmillan Wednesday” 2nd wednesday in March, a resolutely stupid time for a national holiday but it will not back down…

Maybe a “Tony Blair Day” in September some time, Lots of Hype in the build up, then it’ll all be a bit disappointing…

How’s about “Gordon Brown Day” no time off work, everyone just has to look all miserable all day…

Junkyard

David Cameron Empathy Tuesday

We pretend we are all in together but only those who can afford it get the day off?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

How’s about “Gordon Brown Day” no time off work, everyone just has to look all miserable all day…

you forgot to mention obsessive nail chewing and being indecisive….

David Cameron Empathy Tuesday

We pretend we are all in together but only those who can afford it get the day off?

πŸ™‚

there is a nice irony in being out of work and thinking about thatcher.

Make Wicker Man effigies to burn, and imprison her successors within them.

chewkw

As long as it’s a bank holiday or holiday I support it, otherwise none of my business.

πŸ˜†

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’ve got no problem with it- we have Guy Fawkes Night to remember another parliamentary legend, why not Thatcher Day? We’ll have a massive bonfire in George Square and burn her in effigy, it’ll be fab.

Actually why wait til they’re dead? I’ll get collecting pallets for George Osborne Night, we can have it tomorrow.

yunki

yeah cool.. can we make it themed? like easter has eggs, nov 5th has fireworks

for maggie day can we all make big green hats from stuff in our recycling boxes in the shape of a dinosaur..?
    then wearing our maggie HATchers we can ritualistically slay our household pets with dinner forks before parading around the streets in our hats with our dead pets entrails draped around our children’s necks

If so then I’m in

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Everyone excited about the prospect of a Margaret Thatcher Day?’ is closed to new replies.