Everyone drives like a muppet apart from me

Home Forum Chat Forum Everyone drives like a muppet apart from me

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Everyone drives like a muppet apart from me
  • Nah, Charlie, it’s way deeper than that. The issue, I mean.

It’s turtles all the way down

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

Good drivers bad drivers, it’s all subjective.

What boils my wee wee is drivers who don’t know the basics of the Highway Code!

They are who I classify as bad drivers.

Euro

^^ and speedophiles.

The reason everyone thinks they are good is that if they didn’t, they would improve. The real issue is what people consider acceptable. And the deeper issue is lack of understanding of the issues.

Can you really tell what everyone thinks? That’s soooo cool. If you don’t mind, could you tell me why you know who is always thrusting her upper junk in my face? (not sure how your superpower works, but i can provide names if that helps narrow it down a bit).

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I’ve had three bumps in the last two months, does that make me a bad driver?

In all three cases, I was stationary and had been for a while when someone else drove into me. First was in a tight passing place on a country road, Audi Q5 edging past me, and despite me sounding the horn to warn him he still drove into the side of me; second was waiting to turn out of a T-junction, young lad took the corner way too fast then gunned it so hard that he fishtailed into the side of me; third was country lanes again, boy racer coming the other way had his wheels off the floor coming over a hump-backed bridge, ricocheted off the wall and bounced into me.

I think I’d respectfully suggest that this is not a suitable yardstick for measuring whether one is a “good” driver.

nealglover

Everyone’s perception of being a good driver is different. Northwind mentions having 100,000 miles under his belt as an indication of experience; to some drivers that’s 2 or 3 years driving!

My first year as a courier I did 117k miles ๐Ÿ˜

(No crashes or speeding fines ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

That doesn’t make me a good driver though – it’s my awesomeness that does that ๐Ÿ˜€

cheez0

How define a bad driver..

When passengers tell you to slow down, look out,etc

When passengers go quiet when you overtake, brake, change lanes etc.

When others drive themselves rather than get in a car with you.

When your passenger is white knuckling the dashboard,coathook or you spot their right foot ‘braking’

Seen any of that? Congratulations, you are a shit driver.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

How define a bad driver..

I score 4 out of 4, do I win a prize?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

cheez0 – Member

Seen any of that? Congratulations, you are a shit driver.

Or you’ve given my mum a lift.

vickypea

Anyone can make a mistake, maybe reverse into a bollard once or twice, but it’s the people who do dangerous stuff like intimidating other drivers by tailgating. That’s no mistake, that’s bad driving.

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

40 years of driving with no crashes but still learning to drive
    as you see something new all the time .
    a few close shaves mind .

there seems to be a perception that you can insult a mans wife , Kill his first born , but you cant criticize his driving .

We have a few long drives each year to go biking and who ever is driving is quite happy for the other 4 to look out for stuff and mention if anything happens in front rather than be scared to say owt .

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

How define a bad driver.. When passengers tell you to slow down, look out,etc When passengers go quiet when you overtake, brake, change lanes etc. When others drive themselves rather than get in a car with you. When your passenger is white knuckling the dashboard,coathook or you spot their right foot ‘braking’ Seen any of that? Congratulations, you are a shit driver.

That’s a nervous passenger!

Tom B

I’d consider myself a reasonably competent and safe real road driver….I’m very careful don’t speed or tailgate and have done a lot of miles without accident or conviction. I’m also pretty handy at reversing including reversing trailers. As for good high speed handling skills/identifying oversteer or under steer/ generally joining in with how a car drives and accelerates etc type crap that bloody blokes partake in then I’m pretty shit. I’ve yet to find a need for heel toeing or left foot braking in real life mind!

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Can you really tell what everyone thinks?

Of course not. Not sure what the rest of the paragraph of sarcasm was meant to achieve either btw.

My post was logical conjecture put forward as a possible explaination to the OP’s question. Seemed reasonable to me. I can’t think of a better reason why most people do indeed think they are great drivers.

I’ve yet to find a need for heel toeing or left foot braking in real life mind!

Heel toe is useful when your syncromesh is knackered ๐Ÿ™‚

Inttestingly ( or maybe not) I always think I’m a better car driver than motorbikerist due to having done all that misspent youth stuff in a car not on a bike but inreality having slid off roads and thru corners, crashed into heges and generally being a **** in a car doesnt really help much.

Dont worry Couger you may be a shit driver but you are a quite wonderful mod ๐Ÿ˜‰

And why are so many drivers coming through on amber? Especially when someone else is waiting to turn?

cheez0

interesting point of law I found out the other day..

you are already breaking the law if you drive through an amber.
    (not just the red)

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

The day I consider myself to be a good driver will be the day I bin it into a tree on the A697 just South of Coldstream.

deadlydarcy

In Ireland we have a saying:

Green means go.
    Amber means speed up.
    Red means first three cars. ๐Ÿ™‚

CountZero

I’m good enough to know there are better drivers, especially at speed. I’ve only ever had a car go off the road once, when a rear tyre went out at 60, entering a dual carriageway while overtaking a Mini. Not sure who was most shaken when I went across the front of his car at 90 degrees, came to rest on the wide grass verge, facing the right way, having just missed a large road sign, with the car ticking over in neutral.
    Driving in snow, I’ve never yet lost control, on regular tyres too, so I know I’m at least competent.
    Unlike the learner in a V6 Vitara I followed from Bath today. Coming out of Box, the idiot was weaving right out to the white line, then suddenly swerving violently to the left, then doing the same, repeatedly, at 25mph in a 50 limit.
    Until I overtook when the road cleared, and he/she/it stuck their clog in, trying to keep up. Not a chance, I wanted as much space as possible between me and that eedjit. Not sure I fancy their chances passing their test… ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

mark90

Saw a few good drivers on the M4 yesterday who had awareness of what was going on around them and managed to correctly anticipate the actions of those around them. eg when travelling in lane 2 they noitced (before it even indicated) that the big van towing a car trailer was gaining on the lorry in lane 1 so they moved out into lane 3 allowing the van/trailer to move out into lane 2 without having to brake going up the hill. Unfortunately this was also balanced out by drivers with their head so far up their arses they had no idea what was going on around them.

natrix

I’d like to think that I’m a considerate driver, not particularly skillful (rubbish at parallel parking) but aware of what’s going on.

I was disaponted at the crane divers on TV’s Crane Gang program, when they were told they had to go on a cyclists awareness course they all moaned and grumbled, none of them took the course seriously and to quote one of them “we’re professional drivers, it’s the idiot cyclists who need to go on a course”. (If you ever need something lifting, don’t choose Ainscough cranes!)

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I don’t think it’s nervous passengers, at my wedding, the best man’s speech did refer to my driving as getting a lift with Ben is the closest you’ll come to being kidnapped without actually being kidnapped.

There were a lot of murmurs of approval in the audience….

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Subscriber

piemonster – Member
    For the record, I’m a rubbish driver.
    I’m a crap runner and cyclist too
    We have much in common.

WE ARE LEGION!

ell_tell

I don’t think it’s nervous passengers, at my wedding, the best man’s speech did refer to my driving as getting a lift with Ben is the closest you’ll come to being kidnapped without actually being kidnapped.

I like that quote & can echo the sentiment having been a passenger with some of my friends ๐Ÿ™‚

Conversely, I don’t think I am a particularly good driver* & perhaps my consideration might ebb a bit towards hesitation, which isn’t a great driving trait to have. However, I do seem to notice other peoples bad driving, particularly in the city where it seems no one understands road markings. Dunno about other cities but in Cardiff chatting on the mobile whilst bimbling along seems to be the order of the day.

*except my parallel parking which is pretty shit hot

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Everyone drives like a muppet apart from me’ is closed to new replies.