• This topic has 66 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Everyday things that should be simple, but just aren't
  • BillMC

A dustpan and brush that don’t always fall out of the under-sink kitchen cupboard when the door is opened.

johndoh
    Free Member

Wrapping something in cling film

I just did a cookery course and a top tip they gave me was to fold the cling film in half as you take it off the roll which makes it much easier to work with.

rocketman
    Free Member

Opening a carton of milk – or anything else for that matter – with your bare hands

Why does the packet explode or tear down the side or absolutely refuse to open without scissors and even then it’s been sealed on the piss so the opening is useless

Why why whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

johndoh
    Free Member

Taking Weetabix out of a box without a million Weetabix crumbs spontaneously scattering across a 5 metre radius.

seadog101

Buying a light bulb.

Used to be 4 options, 60w or 100w, clear or pearl. Oh no not any longer.

Take me back to the old ways.. Like the Daily Express wants.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I was going to say seagate NAS, but thanks to the file history tip I’ve saved a good half day of grumping.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Golf – my swing has gone awol

(choosing a leader obviously 😉 )

sb88
    Free Member

Walking past doorhandles without smashing hip on them

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Choosing a sandwich at lunchtime. Choice used to be ham, cheese or ham and cheese, perhaps prawn mayo if you were fancy.

Now M&S present you with row upon row of choice, I literally waste five minutes a day working out what to choose.

phiiiiil

Now M&S present you with row upon row of choice, I literally waste five minutes a day working out what to choose.

Especially if you’re trying to find one without b****y mayo…

dufusdip
    Free Member

Expecting relevant rational debate on a STW thread.

We’re on the second page and shocked this has not become more acrimonious.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Hooking a laptop up to a projector or TV. In the 21st Century, why does this not just work?

avdave2

Choosing a sandwich at lunchtime.

This was introduced I believe as a replacement for the hours spent in a video rental shop trying to decide which film to watch.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Before choosing the same thing as yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, and the day before……

onandon
    Free Member

Self service tills. It’s in the **** bagging area …. Arrrgghhhhhh

DezB
    Free Member

Opening a carton of milk – or anything else for that matter – with your bare hands

Yes! Those plastic packaged food things – espoecailly from Lidl. Always a little tab on one corner, so you can grab and simply… peel … away.. the … bastard… plast.. grr.. grab it.. peel… argh, where’s the bloody scissors!

DezB
    Free Member

Typing the word especially

franksinatra

Spelling the work maintanence maintenance

timba
    Free Member

Finding the end of a roll of sellotape

Getting sticky price labels off books without leaving a mess

jekkyl

staying signed into an Internet forum when you’ve paid for a subscription purely so that you won’t see the adverts.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Getting any kind of bike component that you need and is preventing you riding without it, any time within the next week.

DVDs, books, gadgets, from Amazon… no problem. Next day, even same day now!

Bike parts take forever, even when they ship “next day” (order confirmed next day, ships the day after, then goes into some time warp and turns up next week or if lucky the day before or the day you need it and then have little time to fettle).

LBS, “oh yeah, don’t have it but we can order in”… a week later.

Then “it’s out of stock”. Try somewhere else that says it’s in stock. Out of stock. Try somewhere else. Same. Turns out everyone just uses the one distributor and they are out of stock but the stock system is telling them it’s in stock. Had that a number of times.

I need an Amazon for bike stuff (they do some bike stuff, but rarely are they ‘Prime’).

matt_outandabout

Most IT network things.
    Bringing up children.
    Stopping saucepans from boiling over.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In some form of karma, my job for today was to destroy 400 hard drives.

Wore out or snapped about 30 drill bits in the process! Seriously, what are some of those cases made from?

Half were cast aluminium and no problem apart from the platters spinning, binding on the bit and snapping it once in a while, but some cases were so hard they didn’t just blunt the bits, they melted them, and set fire to the wood underneath!

oldnpastit

Almost anything involving Perforce.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Operating a photocopier.

And getting my work laptop to talk to either my home or work printers.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Changing a bike seat on a Reverb (or pretty much any seatpost in my experience)
    Replacing a toilet seat.

nickc

Car breakdowns. Call recovery they tell you it’s an hour it WILL be 3. Everything about it is a ball ache from the time wasted to sorting out recovery to a garage and sorting out a hire car.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Everyday things that should be simple, but just aren't’ is closed to new replies.