Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Every road death between 1999-2010
  • Klunk
    Free Member
    samuri
    Free Member

I’m trying to get my head round the Criminal record statistic. So 35% of cyclists who are involved in an accident and are found to be at blame, have a criminal record?

A third of all cyclists who cause an accident have previous?

5lab

yep. based on a background rate of 8%. Its probably to do with that person’s underlying attitude towards risk

i find the map more interesting – lots going on there.

DezB
    Free Member

The dangerous driving page doesn’t make sense to me… 30% of pedestrians blamed for a road death had a criminal record? Their own death?

DezB
    Free Member

“The rider of the bicycle… died” is a common theme.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cyclists are most likely to die during the rush hour commute.

Motor-cyclists are most likely to die at the weekend.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just looking at the death map, and most pedestrians and cyclist seemed to have been killed when ‘it was snowing and there were high winds and it was dark’
    Even in July.
    I’m guessing there’s a bit of and/or confusion going on.

mintimperial

Grim reading as ever.

I wish there were some stats showing risk vs. exposure (i.e. time). Basing fatality and injury numbers on millions-of-miles-travelled is useful for policy makers, I suppose, but sod all use for an individual trying to figure out how safe a mode of transport is, because distance travelled is massively different for walking vs. cycling vs. motorised travel.

What I really want to know is how likely an average rider (or pedestrian or motorist) is to die or be injured on the road in any given period. To my mind that’s a far more accurate comparison of real safety of the different means of getting about, from the individual’s point of view (although I’m happy to hear any reasons why I’m mistaken on that).

DezB
    Free Member

I have 2 routes to my current work – my main route has had zero cyclist deaths, my other route has one. Quite reassuring, I suppose.

aracer
    Free Member

Looking at the data there for fatal collisions caused by drivers with criminal records and motoring offences, would it be so unreasonable to reconsider the idea of banning such people from driving? Do we really need to have HGV and PSV drivers with criminal records on the roads – they appear to cause a hugely disproportionate number of fatal collisions (the distinction with motoring offences is less clear cut, no that so many people have one of those – would like to see the stats excluding SP30s).

whatnobeer
    Free Member

However, the police figures do not reflect the full scale of death and injury on the roads. Many incidents go unreported.

Surely if someone is killed (or even seriously injured) in a RTC then the police must record it? Cant imagine there’s deaths on the road and the police not being involved?

aracer
    Free Member

Just looking at the death map, and most pedestrians and cyclist seemed to have been killed when ‘it was snowing and there were high winds and it was dark’

Where are you getting that info?

Edit: found it, along with a local incident in June where it was snowing 🙄

SimonT
    Free Member

IanMunro: I looked at the one fatal crash I know about – I was there – weather details are wrong. Says it was raining (was dry and bright). Other details are correct but doesn’t give 100% confidence in the other weather data at least.

GrahamS

i find the map more interesting – lots going on there.

Interesting to compare it to the ITO World map which should be based on the same data.

http://map.itoworld.com/road-casualties-uk

GrahamS

Hmm.. the maps round my way seems to show the benefits of having a good usable network of off-road or “quiet road” NCN routes. Strikes me it would be interesting to correlate cyclist risk on the road with the provision of cycling facilities in the area.

All very sad reading though, “The weather was fine and it was daylight. The rider of the bicycle, a boy aged seven, died.” 🙁

StirlingCrispin

The local cyclist death that I know about was in May – daylight and raining.
    Fair enough – but no mention that the driver was then jailed for death by drink-driving.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m trying to get my head round the Criminal record statistic. So 35% of cyclists who are involved in an accident and are found to be at blame, have a criminal record?

A third of all cyclists who cause an accident have previous?

But you need to look at the numbers, there can’t be that many cyclists involved in a fatal collision that actually caused the collision. There might only be 10 people for example, 3.5 with criminal records.

5lab

most collisions wouldn’t just have one party ‘responsable’ – there’s nearly always something either party could do to help avoid the situation – be it cycling more devensively or whatever. Some accidents are one sided (someone mounts a pavement for example), but if someone gets squished under the wheels of a lorry (as happened in that sad tale in scotland) there would be actions on both side which could have reduced the chances of it happening

crankboy
    Free Member

8 deaths in my area involving bikes too many to count with cars ! not sure what that means, possibly ban cars from city centers. (obviously only practical if you value human life above convenience)

Lots of people with criminal records ride bikes they are easy to steal or cheap and if you have been banned from driving for a criminal offence a legal means of transport.

samuri
    Free Member

There might only be 10 people for example, 3.5 with criminal records.

Sorry, I wasn’t making myself clear.

There seems to be a lot of criminals using bikes and then getting involved in accidents. Proportionally.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Every road death between 1999-2010’ is closed to new replies.