Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Every 'Fatbike' in Britain on Walna Scar Rd yesterday?
  • failedengineer

Whilst hanging on for grim death coming down Walna Scar Rd yesterday, I came upon what seemed like just about every ‘Fatbike’ in the country coming up. One of the pushers appeared to be that Chipps chap. Was it some sort of owners club meeting, I wonder?

stevemakin

Stag weekend for Phil the Horse, 4 fat bikes, 1 Krampus, 1 Singular with Knards, the rest were normals 🙂

19 bikes in total

Drac

I could hear the rumble from here in Northumberland.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It did look fun!

P20

On a side note, how is Walna scar? Back to its rougher self? Or still sanitised?

Drac

Not sure this will work but here you go judge for yourself.

Houns

Sheldon got dressed in the dark again

chipps

Actually I was pushing a perfectly capable Orange Gyro. Unfortunately the pusher was rather hungover and not very capable of anything.

And failedengineer – Good riding skills, given that you were being heckled in a cloud of alcoholic breath and still managed to bike-check everyone there 🙂

sturmeyarcher

I took the crosser over Walna Scar last week. 32mm tyres made it a bit sketchy.

tollah
    Free Member

Hound, you need glasses chap? Black shorts black top green Osprey pack?? What wrong with that? After 3hrs sleep and a skin full everyone was lucky I got dressed!
    Great route, 20km over 1km if climbing, fat bike was perfect 😉

shaggy

What was your excuse today Sheldon? 🙂

tollah
    Free Member

Haha, trail center Shaggy, it would appear from experience that one can wear anything in a trail center and still look awesome!

bentudder

I still feel your comment about the rest of us wearing British Racing Black was unfair, Sheldon. You had something soothing to look at, and we had an eyeball assault.

(I will concede that the fatbike thing does seem to draw attractive young women, however)

mattjg
    Free Member

there was at least one fat bike out in Surrey on Saturday doing some kind of off-road sportive follow-the-pink-ribbons thing I believe (how sweet). It was a very pretty metallic gold colour. All 6 of us yelled for a go but the rider point blank refused to break his ride for 40 minutes for us. Cheek!

if you’re reading this (Ranmore, Sat AM) and local, would still like a go.

failedengineer

Sorry, I thought there were more fatbikes than that, however, I was concentrating on staying on my bike at the time! Walna Scar’s still top fun, especially if you descend to Torver. IMHO, of course. However, the push/ride up the other side from (a very wet) Stephenson Ground was less fun.

Houns

The only glasses I need when looking at this are sunglasses.

As bent udder mentions above, I feel sorry for your hungover riding buddies 😆

sangobegger
    Free Member

[Not sure this will work but here you go judge for yourself.]
    That looks like a tremendous descent, whats the other side like?

tollah
    Free Member

Sorry guys but I going to stand my ground here, I may have had some colour clash issues going on but The Horse was wearing day glow Morvelo yellow with a dayglow orange lid!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

For Phil the horse, that’s a very tasteful outfit. I’ve seen him wear a lot worse. A lot lot worse.
    Like that horse thing….
    I still have nightmares.

chipps

The other side was a flat-out, shaley blast. Great fun for the non-hungover. I didn’t ride it before it was ‘fixed’ so I can’t comment on how it compares. There were certainly lots of smiles and hot brakes at the bottom…

tollah
    Free Member

Just found 5bolts loose on my front rotor and the 6th is more than likely in the Lake District still :-0

Houns

Yikes 😮

Drac

That looks like a tremendous descent, whats the other side like?

It’s not compared to how it was it’s sadly not.

jonathan
    Free Member

For Phil the horse, that’s a very tasteful outfit. I’ve seen him wear a lot worse. A lot lot worse.
    Like that horse thing….
    I still have nightmares.

I’ve seen him wear a lot less. A lot lot less. Nightmares ditto

😉

mick_r

I’ve got an 11 year old that still remembers certain naked people at ss races (he would have been 2 at the time)…….

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Yep, myself and Craig5 were sat outside the pub in Torver (Spesh Pitch and On One 456) when you lot rumbled past. Enjoyed exchanging nods and quickly admiring kit. For ref, the Loweswater Gold tasted lovely, especially seeing you lot just heading out when we’d just done all our hard work! The Walna scar descent to Torver, we can confirm is a blinder, and the sanitised section just gives your pumping legs and arms a short (but very fast) rest before turning off towards the quarry bone shaker section that follows. What a great day out. Hope you boys loved your ride as much as we did!

tollah
    Free Member

Masterwatson2000 spotted! We had about 2km to go when you saw us, great days riding. For some reason a few of us turned into roadies and sprinted for the sign posts! After an artic shower we swiftly returned to that very pub 🙂

badllama
    Free Member

Hi gents a quick question, my mate and myself are up there this Sunday we were planning to park at Torver then go clock wise
    Hummer Lane
    Follow Bridleway throughthe woods to Stephenson Ground
    Up Long Mire
    Down Old Park Beck to Seathwaite
    The join the Walna Scar Road
    Then follow it through Banishead to Bowmanstead
    Then join the Cumbria way along edge of Coniston Water back to the A5084 and Torver

BUT at Walna Scar Road would the better decent be turing right just after Goatfoot Crags and follow the bridleway down past the Quarries and Climbing Hut towards Crook and Torver??

Cheers for any info 🙂

chipps

I’ve seen him wear a lot less. A lot lot less. Nightmares ditto

Even worse, I have the photos – thanks to my compulsion to document everything…

bentudder

badllama, it would be a corker of a descent, yes, but the direction we took actually left us with a descent that was less fall line and used the hillside a bit better. That said, I think you’d be having fun whichever direction you were heading in.

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Tollah: Lovely little pub, spent ages in our spot cracking ‘well’ jokes.

Llama: that’s the descent we did, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Left the sanitised track before it got too samey and boring, just enough space for a breather and a fast swoop before diving off to the right. It’s onto grassland for a section though and only one small marker post shows the way a couple hundred yards after the bridge after a right hander, so keep your eyes peeled. I missed it and had to quickly spin back round to point out the right way to my mate before he caught up!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Every 'Fatbike' in Britain on Walna Scar Rd yesterday?’ is closed to new replies.