Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ever wondered what would happen if you machine wash a chammy?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Accidentally threw the chammy in last night with the wash mitt and the micro fibre cloths.

Thought I’d found an old dog treat in the door seal, then a couple more. That was it. The rest seems to have dissolved. Nothing in the filter either. Thought there might have been more evidence (and consequence) of my error but it seems not. They just dissolve.

scaredypants

what brand’s that, and WTF do you wash them with ?

I machine wash mine always. No bother at all

… do you mean a proper leather chammy ?

muddy@rseguy

… do you mean a proper leather chammy ?

or, indeed, a chamois…

woody2000

It’ll be wrapped round the inside of the drum or behind the seal!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Some simoniz thing which claimed to be a genuine Chamois.

Washed like most other stuff. In the machine with some bio powder

Onzadog
    Free Member

I know they’re slippery when wet, but are they really going to get behind the seal?

scaredypants

or, indeed, a chamois…

or, indeed, a small portion of its skin..

pyranha

The one you had dissolved, but I don’t think that’s normal – was it very old? For context, back before shorts had synthetic pads, the pad was commonly chamois leather, and generally came out of the wash rather stiff, and needed chamois cream (or Vaseline, if you didn’t have anything else) to soften it and make it flexible enough to be comfortable. I had a pair on which the pad had cracked because it was crumpled (probably repeatedly) while dry, which was very uncomfortable until softened – much less disposable income in those days meant things had to be used until they really wore out!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

As and old school window cleaner in the late 60s I can tell you a proper chamois can take a lot of abuse. Would take a couple of months to wear one through.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It was new out of the packet that day. I’m really surprised, I thought they’d be more evidence.

I remember treating the pads in my shorts with cream to soften them again.

I also remember a mate who said you weren’t supposed to wash cycling shorts because of that. 🤦🏽‍♂️

pyranha

I also remember a mate who said you weren’t supposed to wash cycling shorts because of that

I take it he normally rode solo?

FuzzyWuzzy

For context, back before shorts had synthetic pads, the pad was commonly chamois leather, and generally came out of the wash rather stiff, and needed chamois cream (or Vaseline, if you didn’t have anything else) to soften it and make it flexible enough to be comfortable

Ah this takes me back. I remember before one TT I’d not sorted out softening it after a wash on the shorts I took with me, glad it was only a 10 miler!

Vader
    Free Member

Was expecting a thread about a Labour peer

Am disappoint

BearBack
    Free Member

I’ve had them fall apart when left in a bucket of suds for rather longer than I should have.
    It’s been about 15 years since I last used a real chamois on my “drive then wash then polish” car.. California blades all the way now.

sirromj

So has anyone actually wondered about this in the past and this thread has now answered all your questions!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m just amazed that is bike down enough to wash out of the machine.

maccruiskeen

As and old school window cleaner in the late 60s I can tell you….

🎶…..what I  can see when I’m cleaning windows.🎵

Sui
    Free Member

Have you tried leaving it in a bucket of cold water? I had this happen before, and it was something to do with the heat, it expanded and pretty much went back to normal..

Sandwich

but are they really going to get behind the seal

No a sealion is their preferred Pinniped

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ever wondered what would happen if you machine wash a chammy?’ is closed to new replies.