Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Ever snapped a chain? (chain wax content)
  • DrJ

When I were a lad I cleaned my chain by taking it off the bike with a chain tool and soaking it in paraffin (old days…). Then some years later I rotated chains using the quick link. Now I’m reluctant to take my chain off because I’m afraid of the quick link snapping, since it’s described by Shimano as “single use”. I’ve never snapped a chain so maybe I am being irrational, but the prospect of that happening on, say, a climb, makes me prefer to pay a bit of a penalty in sub-optimal chain cleaning and lube. The risk is small but the impact of the potential bollocks-toptube interface is significant.

The relation to waxing is that I was reading the zerofrictioncycling website and getting convinced that anything other than wax is a sin.

Uff … I think I just need to go out and ride my bike !!

nickc

I’ve snapped a chain at a link, but’s it’s happened once (maybe twice, I can’t remember) I’ve always figured the “single-use” to be using one magic-link on one chain, but I could be wrong. Chain quality is mostly so good these days, especially if you buy better quality chains that I don’t think snapping is a massive worry.

Don’t get too hung up on chain lube – I think wax is probably the best lube, but it comes with downsides – extra faff and mess, and I found that for me at least the extra quality wasn’t so significantly better especially in winter that the faff seemed worthwhile. I know others feel different

I think I just need to go out and ride my bike !!

Me too, but it’s prime dog walking time, and I really can’t face it, I’m going to chill for a while.

kayak23

I’ve always reused links and am currently not dead.

fossy

Same here, KMC links or SRAM and I re-use them. Once the old chain is binned, the links go into the kit I take out with me. I’ve had the regular links split, but I picked them up during regular cleaning or a funny noise when pedalling. Only ever had two chains split.

As for lube, I prefer Finish Line Ceramic wet.

ampthill

I have snapped a chain due a really stupid front shift. So less likely these days

I would break and rejoin any chain by driving out a pin. But I’d re use a SRAM magic link thing.

DrJ

As for lube, I prefer Finish Line Ceramic wet.

You are definitely going to Hell. I use it too, so see you down there!

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/latest-zero-friction-cycling-news-ceramic-test-one-fail/

thepurist

IIRC one company has some sort of IP around a multi use chain link so others get around that by selling them as single use. Anyhow I’ve broken and rejoined 11 and 12 speed quick links many times without anything exploding – last 12sp chain that failed for me was at a normal link, and it was well worn (it was in the “run until it fails” mode rather than pre emptive replacement)

RustyNissanPrairie

some KMC links are reusable and have the patent

cookeaa

I’ve never broken a chain at the quick link, even “single use” jobs that have been split and rejoined a few times. I have broken two chains (in 30 odd years) both went with plates separating from one end of the pin, I’d like to think that was caused by my awesome power output, but it was more likely neglect/not replacing a chain earlier/a lack of mechanical sympathy in use…

submarined
    Free Member

I’m around 68kg of pure scrawn, and I managed to snap one. Not on any of the three quick links that were in it, though.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve broken a number of chains over the years, including a couple which broke/wore through the plates. never once broken one at the quick link.

I have had the pins fall out of a well loved quick link when I split it to remove the chain. I put them back in (fiddly, and not fun to remove from the tub of hot wax) and rode on for a few more months as I hate putting new anything on the drive train during the winter months.

joebristol

Find the KMC re-usable links if you’re worried – I’ve broken them and re-used them loads of times with no bother when I was using one chain inside for turbo and a different one outside on the bike (had different cassettes and was worried about uneven wear but thought sod it now and just using the same chain for both).

Personally I’ve read up on waxing / putaline and really couldn’t be bothered with that. I get home from a ride, rinse the bike, give all the gears a quick scrub with muc off and spray clean. Run the chain through a muc off chain doc and then give it a rinse with a water sprayer – then dry with a chamois. Lube each link with a spot of smoove and put away. Works great.

In the summer I don’t clean the chain every ride – whilst it’s running quietly I don’t do anything. When it starts sounding a touch noisier it gets the same clean as above.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s nothing about a quick link that makes it prone to fail with repeated use, IMO. They do become a bit easier to undo, but that can’t really happen when cycling.

I have snapped two chains ever, and that was during the period where SRAM changes their manufacturing and had quality issues. About 15 years ago? Neither was at the quick link.

I wax my chain to make it last much longer and so that it actually stays clean lubricated in the wet. And I re use the same quick link to do it.

scaredypants

thing is, all the dead people can’t respond to this thread so, y’know, believe it if you want*

* it’s certainly what the lizard-vaccine-5g people want you to do

fazzini

The risk is small but the impact of the potential bollocks-toptube interface is significant.

This needs printing on t-shirts 😂

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally I’ve read up on waxing / putaline and really couldn’t be bothered with that. I get home from a ride, rinse the bike, give all the gears a quick scrub with muc off and spray clean. Run the chain through a muc off chain doc and then give it a rinse with a water sprayer – then dry with a chamois. Lube each link with a spot of smoove and put away.

Hehe. You’ve said you don’t like faff then describe a right faff. All I do with my waxed chain is hose if muddy, then put away. I use wax because it’s much less faff.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did snap a chain last year which was the first time in many years. I seem to remember faffing about with a chain tool so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the 11 speed quicklink, despite me reusing it multiple times.

Bruce

I have snapped several chains all by the failure of a normal untampered link. I have never had a Quicklink fail.
    Most of the chains that snapped were SRAM and apart from one, in a short time period, so possibly a bad batch.

austy
    Free Member

I have been running KMC chains for over a decade, only had a chain fail on a normal link in a single speed bike.

Been putoline waxing for about two years and reusing the the quick links, also in mind with waxing you remove the chain so infrequently it reduces the amount of times you open it.

On my commuter I can go a month or two before having to re wax them, and only have to remove it three, maybe four times over life of the chain.

simondbarnes

I had one fail once and it killed me.

andylc
    Free Member

Keep using / re-using chain links of whatever make unless they get obviously loose. My current one is about 3 years and ?? 10 times opened and re-used. It’s the Shimano ‘single use’ one…
    Use a chain link tool so you can open and re-close them quickly and without much faffing and swearing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Many many years ago, I did have a 9 speed chain come off. Not because the link broke, but because it came undone

si77

I’ve lost count of the number of normal links I’ve snapped. I’ve only snapped a quick-link once, it was a SRAM GX 12-speed link and had been re-used just once.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve always reused links and am currently not dead.

+1

Currently risking my life with some cheap links off eBay that cost something like £2 for 4 links, and re-using them each time I wax the chain. 2 12-speed drivechains and 4x chains on rotations so it’s not always the same links but they’re all reused multiple times.

I just use plumbers grips to break the chain each time, just pressing against the corner of the “L” on each quick link.

thepurist

with waxing you remove the chain so infrequently it reduces the amount of times you open it.

Eh? I’m not a Putovangelist so still use ye olde drip lube and I generally put the chain on when it’s new and then only take it off if I’m doing a major fettle or if it’s worn out. How does waxing reduce that?

jamesoz

I’ve snapped chains at the quick links, and at the normal links. I’ve seen a brand new bike fail at the quick link (not mine). I’ve seen quick links rattle apart.
    If a quick link can come apart without a tool, chances are it’ll fail.
    The Shimano joining pin is definitely the most reliable but least convenient method of joining a chain. Probably best for repairs.

I had, what I can only assume was a faulty chain fail in 4 desperate places in one race.

thenorthwind

4 desperate places

I imagine they were 😁

I’ve snapped chains in the past, but not for a long time, and never at the quick link. I always use kmc chains with their quick links, and remove them for waxing.

The bollock-stem interface can be mitigated with the use of a top tube bag with something soft-ish like a tube in it.

ac282

I reuse until the quick link no longer clicks when taking it on and off. So far my bollocks are OK.

Jordan

My quick links have been fine with the waxing routine….bollocks, not too keen of it..

big_scot_nanny

hate replying to these things due to jinxes, but here goes!

Never snapped a chain on normal links, have snapped chain (11spd, with Shimano quick links) at the quick links twice. Both times was on an XT chain, with Shimano quick links, that had likely been rescued more than 5x.

Since using Putoline (started about 4yrs ago I think), that means taking chain on and off more. 5x + and they snapped. I am a big fat fecker.

Quite alarming.

SRAM links have never snapped, and since I now reuse links 3x, it has never happened again on any kind of link (KMC, SRAM or Shimano) on 11 or 12 spd. (Yet, please Murphy/jinx don;t read this)

When I stumble across an offer for cheap SRAM eagle quick links, I jump on it. Now have a drawer in the bike room with enough quick links to make a whole chain probably.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Eh? I’m not a Putovangelist so still use ye olde drip lube and I generally put the chain on when it’s new and then only take it off if I’m doing a major fettle or if it’s worn out. How does waxing reduce that?

Depends on how you do your maintenance.

If you just run a chain untill it’s stretched then fit a new one then that’s one way. And obviously never needs the links re-using.

The other is to buy a cassette and 2-3 chains and switch them every so often so you don’t have to be so critical about measuring their wear, as they’re all the same. With normal lube that’s probably a lot more frequent as a few gritty rides in winter could do the majority of the wear. Waxing you’re basicly leaving it on there for upto 500miles untill it needs a top-up.

nickc

The other is to buy a cassette and 2-3 chains and switch them every so often

I used to do that, but SRAM 12sp happened and made it pretty redundant as they last so long for me.

allyharp

I think I’ve only snapped a chain once. It was on a 3 day trip up the West Highland Way with 4 people, and 3/4 bikes suffered a snapped chain by Tyndrum. One of them twice!

Must have been something in the mud.

Northwind

Haven’t snapped one for years and that was only because I was neglecting it, on an alps trip that I just couldn’t be arsed to put down the beer and do basic maintenance.

But still, i think wax is the way and the light, putoline for me. Not because it stops chains breaking, just because it lats ridiculously well.

DrJ

What slow cooker for chain wax? Can I use the missus Ninja ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Slow cookers take forever to heat up. I recommend a cheap small single-serving deep fat fryer with a temperature control. The basket is super helpful for shaking the crud out of the chain and getting the lube into it, and obviously lifting the chain out and shaking the excess off like you do with your chips.

footflaps

some KMC links are reusable and have the patent

It’s nothing to do with patents (they all expired yonks ago)….

A quick search shows that the concept goes back a long way eg 1898..

https://patents.google.com/patent/US610583A

Although obvs there are hundreds of newer variants on a theme – but the concept of a re-usable quick link is very old.

I’m afraid of the quick link snapping, since it’s described by Shimano as “single use”.

I re-use mine every week when I re-wax the chain (every 200-250km). I’ve just swapped to a new QL as the original Shimano one was getting a bit soft when closing after several months of weekly re-use. So I guess I get about 12 re-uses per link or something like that before using a new one.

DrJ

Slow cookers take forever to heat up.

Maybe I can go full STW and use my pizza oven.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I use Wipperman Connex quick links. A bit pricey but tool free. Very handy if you regularly want to remove it for waxing

mert
    Free Member

I had a spate of snapped Shimano 9 speed chains, about 5 or 6 in one season. Couple of factory fits, couple fitted by Shimano race tech, couple myself.
    All failed at unmolested links.
    3 or 4 different models.
    Haven’t used a Shimano 9 speed chain since.

Then I got a Shimano 10 speed on a new bike, snapped that too.

Next Shimano chain was on 11 speed, haven’t snapped that yet. But it’s only done ~1500km of light road use.

Haven’t snapped anything else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.