Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Ever regretted getting a bigger TV?
  • uniqueusername

Ours is an lg oled. It’s lovely. Agree with cougar turn off whatever silly picture manipulation settings there are. I run ours always in the cinema or director mode (forget the correct name) it’s basically a quick setting to turning all those settings off. Added labelled at the request of a bunch of film directors, and I agree. We spend months/years agonising over every pixel in the movie/TV drama, they can get in the sea with their software undoing every creative decision we make.

porter_jamie

re the council comment up above, the definition of chav – your tv is bigger than your bookcase

robola

I have a screen saver of a bookcase on my giant TV.

Cougar

I replaced my TV with a bookcase.

Although all picture processing crap should be turned off in general, on that specific model people seem to advocate leaving sharpness at it’s default (very low) value.

For the OP, this is the go to tutorial on set-up. There’s a LG C1 owners thread on avforums.com if you want further guidance;

May be true of that model. On mine it was so noticeably bad that I went diving through the menus to try and find out what the hell was wrong with it. It was adding… almost like MPEG artefacts to it.

I’ve mostly left everything else at default for now, I’ll sit down and work it all out at some point, but that particular setting was just awful. You know when you walk in and you can immediately tell that someone’s watching BBC1 rather than BB1 HD? It was that bad.

LG Nano 90 series, if that makes a difference to anyone.

RustySpanner

Ta for the tips.

The old LG we’re replacing had a built in calibration system and I used several on line guides (and my eyes 🙂) to get it just right.

I think I might have to buy a Wii U though – HDMI, backward compatible etc.
    Still love the Wii, but needs a component input to look it’s best.

And the ‘council’ comments? Pistonheads is available if you get your kicks taking the piss out of those less well off from behind a keyboard.

Cougar

re the council comment up above, the definition of chav – your tv is bigger than your bookcase

More an example of snobbery really.

tenfoot

Yep, we bought our large TV mainly because of the number of films we watch.

Re: the sound on the C1 – I also have an old 37” LG LED box that I inherited from my dad, and the sound on that is tinny to the extreme.

The C1 has a decent amount of bass, and whilst the top 2/3 of the TV is “wafer thin”, the lower portion is much wider to accommodate the speakers. I don’t doubt it would be even better with a sound bar, or even a proper surround sound system, but as a standard set up, it’s not bad at all.

RustySpanner

Ta.

It’s going through a Denon DM into some nice Monitor Audio speakers on stands each side of the fireplace.

Yes, I have a very understanding wife.

dyna-ti

Modern requirements replacing the Wally dugs

RustySpanner

I could put some on top of the speakers? 🙂

ta11pau1

Very nice, I’d love a Sony HT-A9 Dolby Atmos surround system but jeez the price…

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-a9

timmys

I think I might have to buy a Wii U though – HDMI, backward compatible etc.
    Still love the Wii, but needs a component input to look it’s best.

I use one of these £7 jobs to hook up our old Wii. Doesn’t perform miracles, but looks as you would expect 480p content to look on a 65″ screen.

bigfoot
    Free Member

The days of tinny speakers are gone, the C1 and my Sony A80(84)J both have excellent speakers, obviously a separate system would be better but they both have small subs built into the TV’s. They’re perfectly fine for general TV watching and even movies so long as you don’t want room rumbling bass.

A soundbar is no longer a requirement with a new TV.

yes my panasonic OLED is much better and less tinny than my 10 year old panasonic plasma but for me just being not tinny isn’t enough, i want to feel it as well.

I have a 5.1 system with Yamaha amp and Kef speakers. The speakers on my 5yr (+) old Samsung 55″ are perfectly fine and give a nice rounded sound – not tinny at all

binman

I decided to wall mount my new big OLED tv (at the around the same height as it would be if stand mounted) because I was petrified of the overfed cats launching themselves onto it and tipping it over or some tripping up incident (more likely OH than child) knocking it over.

Wall mounting it did seem to shrink it though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

10 year old panasonic plasma but for me just being not tinny isn’t enough, i want to feel it as well.

Most modern TV’s have come on massively to make speech clearer, with a little bass.

My in laws bought a BOSE 5.1 system and it’s truly awful. Loads of base and you certainly feel it but it also makes your ears bleed.

Good base isn’t necessarily just as deep as it can be. I’ve got a Naim Muso hooked up to my TV. The bass is not in your face but when it needs to it can’t half make the room vibrate

Agree with cougar turn off whatever silly picture manipulation settings there are

AV Forum is a good place to look for base settings for your particular model

tenfoot

Good base isn’t necessarily just as deep as it can be. I’ve got a Naim Muso hooked up to my TV.

Agreed. It has to be tight otherwise it just sounds boomy.

I have a Muso Qb that I’ve thought about hooking up. Qb is probably not the best shape to locate under the TV, but I think it would fit.

RustySpanner

For me, good bass goes as low as possible whist maintaining clarity and a flat frequency response.

I have some Tannoy floorstanders that do this, but a lot of people think a flat response is bass light, because they’re not artificially boosted at lower frequencies. Most stuff is these days – Bose, Beats etc…..
    Fashion, innit?

RustySpanner

All set up and tweaked.
    My word, it’s delightful.

The sound from the telly is very good on the AI mode.

Picture is the best I’ve ever seen.
    Filmmaker mode with the colour turned down to 40 and the Gamma at 2.2.

Might need further adjustments for daylight, but right now it’s stunning.

Er, ordered the Wii U.
    Still enjoy Wii games with the family. Should look spot on via HDMI.

Cheers for all the advice folks, much appreciated.

garrema
    Free Member

T
    o the original Q; NO
    Been Sony for years.

RustySpanner

Been Sony for years.

The Sony in the upstairs man cave is spot on, apart from the crappy software.
    It’s not going anywhere.
    It has loads of ports and the build quality is fantastic.
    Not sure what the panel is but it’s bloody good.

Oddly, the Sony and the old LG that the C1 has replaced (now in the downstairs bedroom) both have far more options for picture tuning than the new C1.
    The old LG had built in calibration software and still looks very natural indeed.

The biggest step forward with the OLED appears to be a much wider dynamic range.
    It’s like going back to film after using a very early DSLR. 🙂

The only worry I have is longevity.
    The LG it’s replaced is still as good as it was on the day we bought it 15 years ago.

dyna-ti

Anyone got a recommendation for a 65″ thats quite good for gaming. As well as movies and general viewing ?.

It doesn’t have to be the of the line and all those that seem to run to that high end spec at about £1500 or thereabouts, which is way more than i can justify. I can afford such, but the canny Scot is willing to put up with the ‘about’ as good. So maybe around about 600, or a touch higher.

I’m not bothered about the make, pretty much all in that price range will be similar to each other, but there’s always something amongst them that stands out as best for that specific use.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Don’t HiSense use LG panels? That’s where I’d be looking at that size/budget I think.

Cougar

LG make panels for a lot of people so it’s plausible.

Doesn’t necessarily mean they make good panels for them, of course…

tenfoot

Picture is the best I’ve ever seen.
    Filmmaker mode with the colour turned down to 40 and the Gamma at 2.2.

Glad you like it as much as we like ours. I haven’t tried Filmmaker mode, although the tv has tried to switch into it automatically a couple of times. Will have to give it a go.

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Ever regretted getting a bigger TV?’ is closed to new replies.