Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Ever regretted getting a bigger TV?
  • RustySpanner

New TV time.

Narrowed it down to Panasonic, LG Nano or Samsung QLED.

Bright room, so no OLED.
    I value my sanity, so no Sony.

Currently on 42″, looking at 50″ (would fit easily) or 55″, which might be a bit of a squeeze, but I’m sure we’d get used to it.

We sit about 10 feet away.

Any reason not to go for the bigger screen?

Anyone gone bigger and regretted it?

Ta in advance……

binman

No, they shrink over time.

wooksterbo

55 will seem big to start with compared to a 42 but within hours it feels normal. It mostly depends how it looks in the room with other furniture and if you are happy it’s not completely dominating the room.

I went from 46 to 65 which seemed ridiculous when I set it up but its in a big room. Got used to it within an hour or 2. Could fit a 75 or slightly bigger but prices are just too much at that size.

johnnystorm

Nope, have gone to 55″ from having had a 43″.

The new one is a Samsung QLED and so far so good. It’s a great improvement over my old LG.

falkirk-mark

I had a 42 and went to 55 seems great and I am only 6 feet away from tv.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope, and I accidentally bought one a size bigger than intended! I think I measured the wall and decided a 50″ TV would fit, then for some reason bought a 55″ one.

Does need to be wall-mounted though, 55″ TV’s on units, or worse angled across the corner of a room take up an inordinate amount of space.

My only caveat to that is, 4k TV’s don’t seem to upscale from terrestrial (1080i50) very well. SD, particularly the non-mainstream channels like dave, itv4, etc that have less bandwidth it is so bad it looks like youtube from before they sorted their compression algorithms out (grainy, visible compression artifacts, and not enough colors).

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Nope, went from a 42″ HD Sony to a 55″ 4K LG. Seemed insanely big for a couple of days, now it’s just right. Again, sit about 10′ away.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Another YES… Sony 40″ to LG 55″…..should have done it a long time ago.  Just love looking at wide land/seascapes where you can look around the view. And picture quality is just great.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Went 42 to 65

Wouldn’t have anything smaller now.

When people come in the house they say it looks big but not out of place, after watching it for an 1hr or so they start saying they need to get one

frankconway

Got a 65″ just before Christmas; looked massive initially but now – perfect.

Cougar

Went 42 to 65

Wouldn’t have anything smaller now.

Same. LG Nano.

Astonishing how small the 42″ looks now. I remember getting a “big” Trinitron TV back in the day, people used to comment on it that was like a 26″ or 28″ 4:3.

Come round and check it out if you like, Pete.

tuboflard

I’ve dubbed the 46” “the portable” now compared to the 55” in the living room. As with all above, thought it was way too big to start but quickly acclimatised.

richardkennerley

We went 55, should’ve gone bigger!

tenfoot

We went from a 42 Panny plasma to a 55 LG OLED just after Christmas .
    As others say, you soon get used to the size. Cracking TV too. Fantastic picture

Drac

Nope went from 42” to 55” I for some reason thought it was a 47” I had previously so when it arrived I shit myself. Mrs did her normal thing, came in and said her mam was right it’s too big. I asked her how she knew given she hasn’t seen it. Anyway Mrs got use to it within no time.

Just bought a set of ambient LEDs for it which are bloody ace.

Cougar

Ooh, what did you get? I’ve been eyeing up such things (though I don’t have a lot of wall left).

RustySpanner

Cheers fella, may just do that.

How do you connect your retro consoles btw?

Sony upstairs (about 8 years old?) has SCART for the PS2, HDMI for the PS3 and component for the Gamecube.

This new one is for downstairs in the main room, but I need to connect a Wii (for the grandkids, obviously). Currently component and it’s superb.

Going to check out panels tomorrow before making a decision.

frankconway

Don’t agree that 55″ or bigger needs to be wall-mounted.
    My 65″is on a stand which is marginally wider than the tv; cable management and shelves for bluray and media boxes make it a perfect solution.
    It’s in a wide, shallow alcove which could have been designed for it.
    Also think that a stand gives better viewing position than wall-mounted.

Drac

Ooh, what did you get? I’ve been eyeing up such things (though I don’t have a lot of wall left).

Lytmi 2.0 system it was on offer just after launch around Xmas. I think you can get Tuya which is the same thing. It’s limited a bit as only has one HDMI input but people have reported splitters working. They are planning another one with more inputs.

Lytmi Neo Sync Box & TV Backlight Kit – HDMI 2.0

CountZero

Nope.

bigfoot
    Free Member

if your 10′ away to get the most out of 4k you need bigger than 55″, a 65″ isn’t that much bigger in overall size. i sit about 6′ away from a 65″

tonyd

Yes! Went from a 32” to a 55”, after a few days it still felt too big so sent it back for a 48” which is spot on. Room is about 14’ x 20’, TV is on a cabinet along a 14’ wall.

Cougar

How do you connect your retro consoles btw?

I don’t, on that one.

TBH, I don’t at all at the moment. The 42″ has various component / s-video etc and there’s a bunch of old TVs here we inherited when we moved. I’m sure I’ll work something out if needs be.

The Spectrum Next is hooked up in my office, but that’s VGA (or HDMI).

Cougar

Lytmi 2.0 system it was on offer just after launch around Xmas.

Ah, yeah, I think Paul Hibbert reviewed that. What source are you using?

Drac

PS5 for gaming but I’ve also got Disney+ installed on it. Currently have End Game on it’s tremendous, games even more so.

ta11pau1

55″ Sony OLED, I sit about 6ft away, it’s perfect.

Why the Sony hate? Mine has been excellent and it’s more than watchable in a bright room. Of course it comes into its own in a dark room.

frankconway

+1 for Sony

drew

Just replaced our ten year old 42” Panasonic with a 65” Sony XRa90J Oled and it looks and sounds fantastic. Mounted on the wall at eye level 11 foot from the sofa and could probably have gone larger still. Virtually new bought off eBay at just over half price with transferable warranty so very happy.

RustySpanner

ta11pau1
    55″ Sony OLED, I sit about 6ft away, it’s perfect.

Why the Sony hate?

I bought a Sony for the man cave a few years ago…….not a cheap one.

The picture is excellent, very little lag for gaming and a great selection of ports. Wonderful SD and HD images.

Useless for the main room or downstairs bedroom because….

1. It’s like a valve TV on start-up. A ten second delay between turning on and being able to access the programme guide.

2. It stopped supporting iPlayer last Autumn. Why? No idea.
    But bloody annoying all the same.

3. It has the least intuitive, most annoying UI I have ever used on a piece of consumer electronics.

4. The remote is appalling. Slow and the most needed functions are on unmarked keys.

A great panel, superb image quality and a useful selection of ports, but my god, what a pain in the arse.

By contrast, the ancient LG (the one we’re replacing) in the main room, isn’t half as good on picture quality.
    But…..it has a great remote, no lag, is easy and intuitive to use and has managed to retain all it’s Smart TV features for well over 10 years.
    Useful when Virgin are holding us to ransom.

The picture may be a bit soft, but the built in calibration software means it’s always been exceptionally easy to get lifelike images.
    It’s going in the guest bedroom and I’ve no doubt it will be great for years to come.

dyna-ti

Im in the market for something too. Got the 42″, which these days actually looks small, though for years I got by with a 24″.

Was thinking 65″ and the above replies are sounding like thats acceptable. The front room is 21’x12′ and im about to redecorate after getting new d/glazing put in about April., and a full revamp of settee and chair.

I was initially considering a projector, but its either a huge spendy or a rubbish pic.

robola

A great panel, superb image quality and a useful selection of ports, but my god, what a pain in the arse

Old TV with good picture quality and crap operating system – buy a cheap streaming stick and it is sorted.

Harry_the_Spider

Went from 42″ to 65″. Go big or go home!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Old TV with good picture quality and crap operating system – buy a cheap streaming stick and it is sorted.

This is definitely important – ours is LG, but ones of the things we love about it is how easy it is to mirror screen from phones/laptops/photos/YouTube etc. no dongles, no faffing it’s all just there.

robola

Clearly it is preferable to have a decent OS built into the TV, but it is a miniscule faff to add a streamer to an existing one.

I have an older Sony with a rubbish OS and good picture, it needs a streamer but I don’t need to replace it. I also have a newish LG OLED with a good OS but it is verging on unsupported by LG now. When the OS starts to creak I won’t be binning a great TV.

On topic – 65 inch was almost a marriage ender when delivered, but everybody used to it now. Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission and all that.

lorax

Yes. Went from 42″ to 55″, and gave it 10 days, but it felt like sitting in the front row of the cinema, and I hated the way it dominated the room. Even my son thought it was too big so we swapped it for a 48″ LG OLED, which works very well for us. We sit 2m from the screen.

The old one was over 10 years old, so the improvement is as much in picture and sound quality as the size.

John Lewis would apparently have let us return the 55″ anyway, but it turned out to be faulty so it was easy (apart from the size!) to take it back and swap it for a different model.

TheFlyingOx

Bright room, so no OLED.

Not sure I understand this thinking. We’ve gone from a 43″ LED to a 48″ OLED and one entire wall of the room is glass looking onto the garden, floor to ceiling. The OLED screen looks miles better than the LED one in every situation.

The 5″ screen increase took about 20 minutes to get used to. Bigger is better.

tomhoward

Our living room 65” Sony is on a stand that’s about 15 inches deep, along the long side of the living room, fits fine, maybe a different issue if you are putting one in the corner of a room. Sit 2m from it and it’s fine. Change from a 42, which is now on zwifting duty

My 65” LG in my office/gaming room, also fine, can’t fit anything bigger in the space, and sit 3-4 feet from it, also fine.

dyna-ti

Now everyone is in agreement that 65″ isnt too big. Who has any recommendations for that size of TV that doesnt cost the earth.

Previous 42″ was a Sony which cost £500, and I don’t want to be looking at 7,8 or 900 for the 65″

twonks

My first purchase on credit was a Sony Wega 32″ CRT. 100Kg of pure quality that I thought was massive, even in the 26 x 14 foot room it ended up in.

More than a few TVs later we have a 65″ in a 17 x 12 foot room and it doesn’t look too big. We had a 42″ there for years before and that was too small to read tiny text on PS4 games from 12 foot away.

Also have a 93″ projector that is only 1080P. For sheer impact it is better than the 65″ (OLED Panasonic) and very watchable, just a faff to switch things over from 4K when doing so.

@dyna-ti
    Depends on how you watch a PJ and what you call good/expensive but, our PJ can be had very cheap now (Optoma HD200X) and once set up correctly in a darkened room I don’t think anybody would call it rubbish!

intheborders
    Free Member

i sit about 6′ away from a 65″

Do you have to turn your head when someone ‘enters’ from the far left/right? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Ever regretted getting a bigger TV?’ is closed to new replies.