Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ever been chased by anyone whilst on your bike?
  • Hohum
    Free Member

I went out for my usual ride on Saturday evening and the last ten minutes of the ride take me under an underpass and then past some benches.

In the Spring/Summer months you tend to get teenagers hanging around them smoking and drinking (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks). They can be a bit loud at times, but they are mostly well-behaved.

This particular evening there was a group of about 7 or 8 teenage girls and boys sat at the benches. As I went past I saw out of the corner of my eye one of the lads jump off the bench and he started running after me.

His friends started laughing and my first thought was right, you little p***k there is no way that you are going to make a fool out of me, so I jammed on my brakes.

He then had to side-step me and started to run even faster than before up around the corner and then dived into the bushes to hide from me, lol!

At this point his friends where laughing even louder, so I waved to the bushes he was hiding in and carried on cycling!

Not quite the result he was expecting I reckon…

foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL – sounds like a lucky escape 😉 No I haven't but had a fair few unsuccessfull dogs trying to bit my ankles 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh, it's all good fun. I had a lad making stupid noises at me on my way home from a night ride through the park once. So I said to his mates "Are you lot his carers?" and they all fell about laughing at him and he shut up. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

so I jammed on my brakes.

Good thing he didn't rear end you.

nuke

When I was about 15 my brother and I were cycling in Happy Valley (Near Coulsdon, Surrey) when we cycled through a wood and this scruffy guy started talking to us when we had stopped. Stank of booze and said he'd like to show us something… proceeded to get out a bag and then from the bag came a knife. Well that was enough for so we zoomed off with him chasing. Didn't stop until we got home and only then realised I'd cycled the last mile with a puncture. Parents reported it to police but nothing came of it.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Was once chased by kids on 3 stolen scooters (scooters brand new, kids 8-10 yrs old, no helmets etc, so I assume stolen) on the Bristol/Bath cycle path once whilst cycling home from work. Went on for about 1/2 mile with things getting progressively more 'interesting'. Got to the stage where I considered knocking one of them off before he did the same to me. Luckily, got to some bollards too narrow for them to follow before it came to that, but it wasn't nice all the same 🙁

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

when i was a yoof i was at a local quarry (steetly in doncater) with a couple of mates, ended up getting chased by some gypo types. we ended up tearing down a hill that ended in a big steep nasty flight of stairs, had to get off and the gypo type caught us up – just as a massive group of mountin bikers turned up!

'on your way boys we'll sort these lads out'

brilliant!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Been chased by police a couple of times (usually for doing something a bit naughty like going through a red light etc). One time when I was a yute, and I had a bit of dope on me. No opportunity to get rid, so I pegged it.

No copper's caught me yet! 😈

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Who do you think you are Harry Brown? 😆

Talkemada
    Free Member

Heh! I'm a good lad now. Fine upstanding law-abiding citizen… 😉

D0NK

yes a couple of times, unfortunatley both involved big scary hunks of metal.
    1 mitsi evo, overtook me dangerously, when I next passed him I gave his mirror a bit of a tap and he came after me, thru a red light, up a one way street the wrong way etc sh*t myself, got away over a pavement.

2 Hummer H2 driver overtook me too close whilst texting, I called him a naughty name under my breath – a bit too loudly as it turned out considering he had his window down. Chased after me, I wasn't up for another chase so stopped he rear ended me destroying back wheel then drove off.

LHS
    Free Member

Got chased by a fat **** in a Lada 4×4 after I shouted at him for nearly killing me on a single lane road. Came round a blind corner at about 40mph and i had already dismounted and jumped into the hedge cause i could hear him coming. He drove off so i shouted after him. Next thing i know he has jammed on his brakes and is reversing back towards me at an incredible pace. Managed to dart into a farm drive just in time. Coward wouldn't get out of the car to talk about his actions.

ojom
    Free Member

Not on our bikes… but scary anyway…

school ski trip back in 1996 in italy and we were a bit rowdy after some ice cream (with added flavourings from small bottles in our pockets) in the village. we all ended up shouting off with some locals who were on scooters calling us names etc.

anyway, we shouted back a few choice things as you do then pegged it back towards the hotel when they started to chase us on the scooters.

never ran so fast in my life! ended up vaulting fences and walls to get back up the cliff to the hotel (still positive i have spiderman esque powers when they are needed) and one of the group got left behind over the fence.

we teared into the hotel shouting for the masters and they came out to find our man John getting on all pally with the scooter boys. turns out they were actually being friendly to begin with and we thought they were being plums so called them names etc. they wanted to know why we did it as they just wanted to meet penpals etc.

oops.

tang
    Free Member

my brother and i got chased by a bloke who claimed we were looking at his girlfriend. it was summer they were playing frizbee and we were 14.

amplebrew

When I was around 14 to 15 yrs old I got chased by some National Trust Rangers in a Land Rover for riding my bike I shouldn't 😳 😳 😳

It ended with me riding down a track which I knew narrowed to a gap that they certainly wouldn't fit a Defender through.

Very shameful to be honest 😳

russjp
    Free Member

Whilst working in London around 1999/2000 I was riding home along picadilly just by the Ritz hotel and some tosser in a flash brand new S-class Merc cut me up and squeezed me into a parked bus.

Obviously I was very annoyed and caught him back up a few yards later shouted a few swear words at him and kicked his wing wirror off, which seemed to explode into a thousand pieces 😯

He jumped out of his car and chased me all the way through green park almost to Buckingham palace, which is about half a mile with me looking back and laughing at him. The whole time his car is still blocking traffic in rush hour, with I assume the engine still running.

Maybe he will give cyclist more room next time 👿

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

russjp – officially i dont approve…but i understand where you're coming from 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Not by people but chased by dogs a few times 0_0

donks
    Free Member

Been chased by pikey's a couple of times trying to nick me bike from under me….dont get me started on them grrrrr, and one of their lurchers one time, but i was younger and much fitter then so i out paced em….thank christ

Riofer
    Free Member

Thankfully no, but I do regularly fantasize about being chased. The adrenaline turns me into a riding god, able to jump stairs, bunnyhop walls and do huge drops. It always ends up with me getting away while my pursuers are left looking foolish and frustrated. Think, Smokey and the Bandit or Dukes of Hazzard but on bikes 🙂

Hopefully it will never happen as reality is more likely to dump me on my arse

zaskar
    Free Member

OP-He was just messing about.

Glad everyone saw the funny side.

I've been chased by people, pets and cars for numerous yet innocent reasons guv.

zempy

Riding with my mate on the back road through Edale towards Hope.
    These two massivley knackered Golfs buzzed us very close.(trying to knock us into the hedges)
    I gave them the finger as they zoomed off.
    They both then suddenly stopped and reversed.

What can only be discribed as the missing link got out of one car and what looked like his dad out the other, the younger one opened his boot and pulled out a golf club and started marching towards us. He was about 20m away when the rest off his family including a middle aged woman, a 70 year old grandma type and 2 kids got out of the cars and started shouting at him to "fookin tw*t 'em". (A turd family outing I think)

It was only when a merc pulled up behind us (the Golfs were blocking the road) that he turned and went back to his car. The missing link and the turd family got back in there respective Mot failures and ragged it off in a cloud of oil smoke.

I'm sure that if that Merc hadn't turned up I would now have a pitching wedge sticking out of my scalp.

I make a habit of not doing anything now when a car buzzes me. Life's to short to end up getting beaten to death by a mentalist with a golf club while his inbred family watch on!

kimbers

i once gave the finger to some ****t in a convertable merc who cut me up on euston road

he went round the block to come and try and run me down fortunately teh traffic was in my favour

so i did a naughty cyclist trick and rode through the next set of reds whilst continuing to signal my dislike of him

it was actually pretty scary

markenduro
    Free Member

By the police once when there was a group of us on a pub bike ride, we all went in sepreate directions, I made a dash for it on the footpath over the fields, riding so fast that it would have made Hoy look slow (in my alcohol fuelled mind anyway). The footpath runs parallel to the road so I switched my lights off to go into stealth mode. Que a big splash as I went into the ditch by the side of the path. Two of the others got caught and taken to the nick, one was charged (ended up in the magistrates court with a £300 fine)and the other was let off with a good bollocking. We still laugh about it now.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Many years ago a black cab driver kept revving up and trying to buzz my back tyre in an ongoing set of road works. Single lane and he wouldn't get any further ahead so I simply stopped and asked him what he thought he was playing at?

Heated exchange ensued with me telling him exactly what I thought of him and asking him to bugger off. He didn't take very kindly to it so I thought best of it and took the next left available which went under a bridge. Cars were not allowed this way so I thought fine, that's that over. Until a bit further down the road the said taxi comes screeching round the corner to a halt in front of me and the driver jumps out with a tyre iron in his hand and he was going mental!

Shocked I quickly come to a stop. Don't know what came over me but I hopped off the bike, started quickly walking over to him whilst shouting at the top of my voice 'IF YOU THINK YOU CAN HAVE A GO YE FLABBY BA&*%^£$ THEN COME OOOOOOOOOOON THEEEEEEEEEN YAAAAAA CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Before I got there he was back in the cab and spinning it around so fast I could smell the clutch burning…..

Went back and got my bike, calmed down and continued on my way home.

Was all a it surreal really. Must have been around 1997… I don't cycle in the city centre anymore so am never in that position now. Don't think I would do the same now though as I have kids/wife/work etc to think about and I've calmed down an awful lot.

Pigface
    Free Member

Couple of years back a guy I knew called Ken the Mess was being hassled by a soft top XR3, going over the bridge into Caerleon one of the passengers throws a can of lager at him. He gave them the finger, they overtake him, pile out of the car and give him a beating. Ken wouldnt hurt a fly. He arrives at the BBQ and of course everyone is well pissed off. About 1 hour later a mutual friend goes out to get some smokes. As he walks up toward the shops he spots the XR3 outside one of the pubs on the green. Walks in and asks quite innocently whose car is it. This lad stands up saying yeah and Rob just knocks him clean out. As he is leaving the drivers mate comes out of the bog and chases after Rob, bang he gets an elbow and is out cold as well. Rob comes back and doesnt say a word, only found out as a guy I know was in the pub.

Dancake
    Free Member

My mate stays on my back wheel on all the tricky stuff and dings his bell just to remind me how slow I am going…does that count 🙂

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

When I was about 8 me and my mates were on our bikes with pea shooters. My mates dad was a plumber and my mate had made extra long pea shooters out of copper pipe. We used to fire chewed up paper out of them and splat it on stuff. I very stupidly did this to a passing motorcyclist and 'achieved' a direct hit to his visor totally obscuring his view. He skidded to a stop while me a my mates legged it onto a big garden. We climbed into a thick hedge and hid there while the biker searched the garden for us. We could hear him crunching about below us cursing. I think it was quite a lucky escape for him and us. Not my proudest moment obviously but it was one hell of a shot.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ever been chased by anyone whilst on your bike?’ is closed to new replies.