Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • Ever been anywhere realiy cold?
  • ton

and I mean proper artic icy cold.

where you been?
    cos I fancy a holiday in the new year, and I want to go somewhere mind numbingly cold.

qwerty
    Free Member

Never been but Scandinavia has always appealed.

bikeneil
    Free Member

You could try the chat forum. It’s icy over there:-)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JAG

Is -37 Celsius cold enough? 😀

Saariselka in Northern Finland is an amazing place. As much as 60cm of Snow and below -20 most days. This was the coldest we’ve ever seen.

It’s very beautiful when it’s snowy and this cold for several months.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Been in -35 in the French alps a few years back, that was very unpleasant and dangerous.

grahamt1980

Yep, finland inside the artic circle.
    Actually -20 and below isn’t as bad as you would think.
    I loved it.

crikey
    Free Member

You want to try our top toilet ton. In the depths of winter, he feeling of toilet seat on warm bum is enough to take not only your breath away, but also the urge to poo.

That’s cold.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve been to Finland in March, to about 65 miles further north than the arctic circle. It was about minus 15 C, so quite cold but not excessively! Had a great time.

nickc

Theale…. no seriously

frozen food warehouse for Waitrose, a balmy -20 near the doors, but a slightly less than tropical -35 at the blowers near the back.

in there with a streaming cold is not something I want to repeat 😆

rockhopperbike

went camping to a motorbike rally in Eastern Germany once- had to dig a tent shaped hole in the snow to pitch said tent- -18c on the roadsigns on the way- then it dropped overnight!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve been to Norway in December and that was properly cold.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Never been but Scandinavia has always appealed.
    If you don’t mind the near perpetual darkness in winter.

How cold do you want to have it? Parts of Russia go down to -40 deg C. The winters we have in this part of Germany are cold enough for me!

nealglover
    Free Member

Try the Ice Hotel

I think its a bit chilly in there ?

Dark-Side

Coldest I’ve encountered was -38 in Finland, been there a good few times at -20.

GEDA
    Free Member

I live right in the south of sweden and it was a bit painful biking to work when it was minus 15 for a few weeks. Skating on huge frozen lakes is ace though, just as good if not better than skiing for a feeling of getting out of normal life.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My ex-girlfriend’s heart?

JAG

We’ve been to Finland about 6 times now. No matter how cold it’s a really nice place to be and there’s lot’s to do.

Seeing wild Reindeer and riding around on Snowmobiles never gets old for me 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

Went to Rochdale once……that was cold …

martymac

went to ottawa last year in february, not all that cold, -20 at night, -5 to -10 c daytime.
    loved it, and as mentioned already, didnt feel all that cold possibly because it was dry. (until you got even the slightest breeze, then the word windchill takes on a whole new meaning)
    i also got to skate on the worlds largest skating rink, which i enjoyed.

GEDA
    Free Member

Make sure they have a suana/bastu to warm you up to the bone after being frozen.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Southern Ukraine on the black sea in february.

-28 c out of wind

-35 with windchill

Was cold – very very cold. Posh hotel wasnt on the comunal steam heating system – it had electric heating – the electric went out just before bed and the toilet water froze…..

scotroutes

Got to assume you’re talkin below -20C, otherwise you could just stay in the UK. I’ve experienced that sort of air temperature here and been exposed to colder once you factor in wind chill.

ton

fancied finland or Sweden to be honest….gonna have a look at travel options.

GEDA
    Free Member

Feels colder in the UK as it is damp. Proper dry cold does not feel as cold if you have the rigt clothes on just kills my lungs when biking.

Cheezpleez

I was in Toronto once when it was -20-something. I went for a walk to see how cold it really was and as I was shivering uncontrollably in my down jacket I met a chap loafing in his shirtsleeves while he smoked a ciggy on the windswept quayside. 😯

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Had this new year in Hammerfest,it was pretty cold around -18.
    Different cold to what we get over here though,more of a dry cold if that makes sense.
    Crazy new year up there,pissed up vikings letting rockets off in the street. 😀

piha
    Free Member

I worked in Moscow for a year on building sites, got down to minus 28 according to the local press. That was plenty cold enough when I was stood outside all day. I do like a bit of chilly weather.

nedrapier

Greenland in April – dunno what temps, but you didn’t want to be outside the tent too long after the sun went down. “Warm” in the sun, though.

Coldest was probably British Columbia in January. mostly not oo bad, between 0 and -15 most of the time (not too bad when it’s a dry cold, as above) but there were 2 weeks of -30 and below. That was parky.

What do you want to do while you’re there, Ton? Just be cold? Really North in the depths of winter will also be Really Dark, so a good slice of activities would be alcohol-fuelled.

Something in the Stans maybe? Or Mongolia?

LAT

I’m living in northern alberta at the moment. The coldest it got last winter was -45 *c. Without the wind. That is really cold. So cold that the air sparkles with ice crystals. It doesn’t snow that often here, but once it is on the ground it stays. Last year we got the first snow in October and it didn’t melt until May.

It is -8 today and snowing. By January -8 will/would feel warm! However, being so dry here it is easy to wrap up against the cold. The sky is usually blue and the sun big, if low, in the sky. This is my 3rd winter here and I like it. Much better than rain and grey sky.

Down to -25 is ‘ok’. Below that becomes painful. As such, if you are looking to go somewhere really cold aim for a destination that is guaranteed to be below -30 and go in the winter, rather than the autumn.

Every one interested in the outdoors should have a go at ‘really cold.’ It is quite an eye opener. The crazy thing is, people just get on with their day to day business (not that they have any choice) and when you get in your car, it starts when you turn the key!

Have a good holiday!

gee
    Free Member

Was in Greenland living in a tent for a month. In a huddle, inside the tent, wearing so many layers, puffa, gore tex and a life jacket and I was still freezing.

This was at night (although it was perpetual daylight) in June.

GB

br
    Free Member

Middle of Poland in winter.

The chaps’ car that picked me up from the hotel had a burning smell – he’d had to light a fire on a shovel and put it under the sump to defrost it.

scaredypants

I’ve seen -30ish at midday in Canada – skiing though, so well wrapped up and active, though the chairlifts were bloody chilly even without much wind. Quite hard to breathe properly, though I am a bit asthmatiuc

We were quite worried about frostbite since the windchill while skiing along can be bad, but 2 balaclavas kept our faces toasty unfrozen

The overnight temps were lower of course and on TV there was a RayMears-alike geezer doing a survival show and sleeping in a shelter made of pine branches. I assume he lived 😯

nedrapier

Whereabouts were you gee? North West? Work or play?

sumomatt
    Free Member

Tremblant, Quebec, Canada.

Air temp in Jan was -29c with wind chill was around -40c

Blimey that was a cold day!!

ton

nedrapier……….a bit of sightseeing, a little bit of walking and a lot of mooching around.
    so maybe a city or town. god knows where tho.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The ice hotel in Sweden. -12 outside in the day. -4 in your ‘room’. Lack of onsuite facilities means a long cold walk in your boxers in the middle of the night when you’ve been on the piss…

nedrapier

Maybe euro city, not too far north, then?

Budapest? St Petersberg? Helsinki?

(cheers for the edit!)

irelanst
    Free Member

The ice hotel in Sweden. -12 outside in the day. -4 in your ‘room’

Did you go in the summer? it was -38 at night when we went! I got a telling off from my wife because I “let the cold in when I left the door open after a bathroom visit”. She slept in her thermals, normal clothes and the thermal suit, proper romantic it was.

earl_brutus

Worked in Russia last year -20 in winter but felt -30 with the wind chill properly cold out

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

top of the Wrekin on sunday….jeeez was it cold,…. even my snackbar was frozen

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Ever been anywhere realiy cold?’ is closed to new replies.