Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Ever been a bit of bike tech released that has been, generally, liked by all?
  • tomhoward

Based on the Di2 XTR thread, and countless others that have just descended into ‘I’ll never use it’ or ‘it’s all just marketing guff’ or ‘bloody manufactures forcing us to buy what they sell’

Can you think of a bit of (no ‘it was the only option stuff, like ‘pedals”) kit that hasn’t had this?
    Thoughts? Lock on grips?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lock on grips?

Lots of folk prefer ESI or Renthal like ones instead.

Flite Ti saddles were my first thought. Everyone I know who tried one loved it.

RustySpanner

Lock on grips?

Can’t stand them.
    Seriously.

Completely unnecessary, pointless toss. 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

You don’t see many people opting for non-indexed gears, do you? (Among those who opt for more than one gear, obviously)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Completely unecessary, pointless toss.

And, what is more, they kill starving kittens in Africa. Or something like that. 😉 #isheback?

Houns

Bolt heads have gone rusty on mine so no, don’t like them

teethgrinder

In the ’90’s, purple.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Lock on grips?

i literally could not live without them.

literally.

threadless steerers?

MSP

Everything before the internet.

It’s not bike technology that’s the problem, it’s people having a platform to winge.

cybicle
    Free Member

Freewheels?

T666DOM

Pneumatic tyres, must have saved many a sore arse.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In the ’90’s, purple.

Nope. All about the blue ano for me BITD.

Pneumatic tyres, must have saved many a sore arse.

Yeah, but like, y’know, they go flat and everyfink, so what if you were thousands of miles from the nearest pump? 😉

jekkyl

The pneumatic tyre for first off, what a development after the bone shakers of yester year.
    The freewheel hub is pretty cool.
    The modern day gear derailleur works and is pretty universal.

EDIT: beaten to my first two points by others while I was thinking of things to say.

RustySpanner

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Completely unecessary, pointless toss.

And, what is more, they kill starving kittens in Africa. Or something like that. #isheback?

I wish I’d come up with the idea though.
    A completely unnecessary solution to an easily solved problem.
    However, in appealing to the vanity of the customer, plus enabling owners to feel that they are participating in the ‘personalisation’ of their bike, someone, somewhere has made a bloody fortune.

D0NK

You don’t see many people opting for non-indexed gears, do you?

I bet when shimano introduced them there was a volley of “Completely unnecessary, pointless toss” from a bunch of roadies*.

Flite Ti saddles were my first thought

nearly everyone who’s ever swung a leg over my bike has complained about the seating, could be due to the expanse of seatpost and their shortness of leg or maybe just the angle I have it set at.

*guessing mtbers getting their fillings rattled loose on rigid bikes were quite happy about it, could be wrong.

kimbers

i think lock ons are wickid!

nothing worse than grips turning on your bars in the pissing rain coming down a rocky descent

grahamg
    Free Member

Freewheels?

Freehubs, without the luddite campag lovers (lovers of prestige and history, not quality gears given the state of campag in the 80’s), universally lauded. No more broken axles!

Totally agree about internet whinging. It is fun though.

NormalMan

650b

😉

D0NK

A completely unnecessary solution to an easily solved problem.

I quite like them, in the past I’ve had grips that stay put and grips that are comfy haven’t managed to get one that does both until lock on, I will admit they are heavy and expensive (comparatively). Not tried ESI yet tho, going to see what they are like.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Normal Man – Member
    650b

Chuckles.

What about helmets?*

*Blue touchpaper lit, retires to a safe distance.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

SRAM 11 speed. I haven’t met someone that’s got it or used it that hasn’t liked it.

Good hydraulic disc brakes

Wozza
    Free Member

Disc Brakes. Even if you have a rigid unobtanium singlespeed… you still put discs on it.

The only people who disagree are fixie riders. As far as I can tell they’re not even human and therefore their opinion is invalid.

warton
    Free Member

threadless headsets

cartridge bearings?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

nothing worse than grips turning on your bars in the pissing rain coming down a rocky descent that haven’t been fitted correctly

FTFY

D0NK

The modern day gear derailleur works and is pretty universal.

“Isn’t it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur?” he wanted fixed aswell.

Northwind

Dropper posts that work? everyone that’s got a use for them likes them. The only people that don’t are people that just don’t really drop their seat, so not really revelant.

RustySpanner

D0NK – Member

I quite like them, in the past I’ve had grips that stay put and grips that are comfy haven’t managed to get one that does both until lock on, I will admit they are heavy and expensive (comparatively). Not tried ESI yet tho, going to see what they are like.

Me too, need some new grips, might give them a go.
    Do you know anywhere round here that does them?

I’ve used the Ritchey foam ones for years, they don’t slip and they’re very comfy.

Sticking a hard bit of metal on the bit of the bar likely to hit you when you come off also strikes me as a bit daft.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Lock on grips are ace…but they’d be better still if the bolt heads were 0.5mm larger.

iolo
    Free Member

Bike frames, wheels (who cares what size), breaks.

nedrapier

Rusty – Charlie the Bikemonger

honourablegeorge

The mountain bike disc brake, now that it’s reliable.

plyphon
    Free Member

About 5 years ago MacNeil developed the Pivotal seat & post combo, and now 99% of BMX riders (Not including BMX racing, although I’m sure they do also) use the Pivotal system.

Yeah you loose forward and backward adjustment but it’s SO SIMPLE, light and cheap & strong. No one sits on those things anyway.

ndthornton
    Free Member

The wheel?

mrmo
    Free Member

dropper posts f*** that for a waste of metal, warranty claims, maintenance etc etc.

The only thing i think most would agree on is disc brakes for MTBs. Cross there is some point, road even less*

*yes they work, yes i will buy them at some point, BUT on a MTB if i had to choose Suspension or discs, discs win. No more rims wearing out in 6 months, brakes in the middle of winter when bike is covered in crap, no more cables catching bits of twig and grass and stopping the wheels turn. On the road bike Meh… even in the middle of winter the rims never get that much crap on them

unknown
    Free Member

Disc brakes weren’t universally liked in the early days. Don’t remember anyone having a bad word to say about v brakes though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can’t stand them.
    Seriously.

Completely unnecessary, pointless toss

+1

Did anyone mention the Aheadset?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Shimano DX pedals or DMR V8’s or whatever the first platform pedals with pins in were

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Akshewally….

V-Brakes.

I remember when they first came out. Virtually universal love.

Northwind

mrmo – Member

dropper posts f*** that for a waste of metal, warranty claims, maintenance etc etc.

Only a waste if you don’t use it, at which point it’s just not for you anyway- like complaining that boxxers are pointless because you only do XC, or something. Maintenance is very low on the good ones- way lower than a fork etc.

drummer
    Free Member

I quite miss wiring my odi yeti grips on the night before a DH race …stares into middle distance nostalgicly

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Ever been a bit of bike tech released that has been, generally, liked by all?’ is closed to new replies.