Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • eventually got into the dirty reiver 200….. what tyres have folk used?
  • turneround

Like many, i spent sunday morning hitting the refresh button for ages but eventually got in.

For those who have done the event, what tyres were you running as im not familiar with the area of the trails being used

Merak

The answer is two sets of wheels. One with smooth hardpack dusty ones. The ones we all hope to use, the other with mud and misery ones.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve done it on S-Works Renegades and 43mm Gravel King SKs in the past and will be using the Gravel Kings again this time round.

turneround

ta, i have a few sets of wheels that will be shod with different tyres in readiness. Was looking at the GK SK so thanks for the recommendation…

Pyro

40c WTB Nanos last time.

I got a dry and dusty year, though. Given the same conditions again I’d use the 38c (I think) G-Ones I’ve got on at the moment. The Nanos did well though.

manmurray

WTB Resolutes the last couple of years. Will be running them again this time around I think…if it ain’t broke etc.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I think I might end up being a bit overbiked! Doing it on my Ibis DV9 hardtail, but I’ll probably fit the Vittoria Barzo (sod leaving the Magic Mary/Hans Dampf on!).

turneround

im also taking the 27.5 wheelset shod with some spesh fast trak just in case

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I’ll be on 38mm gravel kings, I can’t fit anything bigger without frame rub. They served me well last year.

st4nley
    Free Member

Do most ride this sort of distance on 700c or is there quite a few on 650b for more comfort, as coming from more mountain biking, never really ridden on the road am really unsure at the minute which to go with, as this will be my first Reiver.

wind-bag
    Free Member

For 650b I would use Teravail Cannonball’s @47c, if you have the clearance and are running 29er’s then Teravail Sparwoods. Both are fast rolling and more than grippy enough for the Kielder trails. The Sparwoods come in a comfortable 2.2” width.

st4nley
    Free Member

Can fit 650b x 47 and 700 x 45, was thinking what do the majority of riders favour 700 or 650.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Stanley, DR changed to a new route last year. Prior to that it was rougher and at a wild guess I’d have said lauf fork and c.42mm tyre would have been the dream machine. Last year’s was faster and slightly smoother and I felt that with 38mm rigid I was on an optimum configuration.

That said, there’s a wide range of participants and bikes. I was getting overtaken by single speed mtb, so as always it’s the rider who makes the difference.

st4nley
    Free Member

@crimsondynamo cheers, think most will overtake me too.

whitestone
    Free Member

I used WTB Riddlers 37c when I did it a couple of years ago. That was the old course with one significantly rougher section dropping out of the forest to get to the second food stop. They coped with that OK (I was on an On-One Pompetamine set up singlespeed) so I’d imagine anything similar would be fine. I was set up tubeless.

granlaw
    Free Member

I’ve done it twice on 35 mm 700c and I also ride kielder alot through the winter. I can’t fit anything wider than 35 on the bike so that’s what I use and at a guess I’d say they’re fine for 90% of the forest roads. My take on tread pattern is that it doesn’t make much /any difference on the forest roads (unless it’s white 😬) and I’ll happily do 100k rides on slicks or sawtooths all winter but puncture protection is more important.
    If I had a choice I’d go 40 mm /42 mm or so as some parts are pretty rough for 35s.

k1100t
    Free Member

I’m currently running Conti Terra Trail 700c x 40mm, which are only two rides old. Given what I’ve read though, that kind of tyre is ideal for actual gravel roads. It’s not proving so ideal for the local slop…

djflexure

I’m going to stick a pair of 26 mm tubelesson and give it a go

djflexure

Had a rethink and going to build up a Whyte Saxon Cross and leave the road bike at home

joshvegas
    Free Member

That was the old course with one significantly rougher section dropping out of the forest to get to the second food stop

AKA the good bit.

aggs
    Free Member

Trained and ridden 2 200km Reivers and 1000km s on gravel with Schwalbe Marathon 700c , maybe slowish but no punctures is faster in my view.
    Tough as anything . Marathon Evo Extreme in 35mm or 40mm do not seem to wear out either!! Now discontinued. 35mm is fab tyre and rolls really well.
    Now the closest is the Gt 365 which is a bit heftier and not folding which is a bugger, but its only £25 in the sales .
    I Just put some on to see how they go too, a good reliable training tyre. Not done many km on them yet.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Turns out I can’t make it so before I ring the campsite to cancel my tent pitch if anyone wants it give me a shout and I’ll change the details.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘eventually got into the dirty reiver 200….. what tyres have folk used?’ is closed to new replies.