Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Evans to stop free delivery
  • paul_m

Well I guess the Sports Direct model is kicking in at Evans. Just had an email saying they are stopping free delivery for all orders over £20, including ship to store.

Ship to store was one of the best things I think they did (for me it was handy as my commute goes past one of their shops)

Not sure what their average order size is, but an additional £4.99 is going to make them expensive.

damascus
    Free Member

Sports direct postal policy:

Every time you use our Click & Collect delivery service and collect your parcel from our own stores, you’ll receive a £5 voucher to spend in store, you’ll be given your voucher by our store staff when you collect your parcel. Your parcel can only be collected within your chosen stores opening hours.

monkeyboyjc

Well I won’t be buying from them any more, can’t stand sports direct and no free postage is the final nail in the coffin for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paul_m

No mention of a £5 voucher on the email I got.

nach
    Free Member

You’ll get an absolutely massive Evans branded mug though.

matt_outandabout

You’ll get an absolutely massive Evans branded mug though.

Pink crocs for 99p as well.

Will Karrimor now be the main clothing brand at Evans, Pinnacle replaced with Muddy Fox and that slightly foosty smell available in all stores?

ElShalimo

Local House of Fraser in Huddersfield now has lots of Karrimor crap in the new “sports” section…..it’s the start of the slippery slope.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Often click and collect was only to make up for them only stocking their own brand stuff in the stores anyway, so charging for it is very unattractive

rone

Maybe they need to charge to survive?

The expectation of free postage whilst attractive is unsustainable in most businesses.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I unsubscribed as soon as the official email came out, mainly to check if fat mike takes GDPR seriously

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What rone says. The business was on its arse long before the fat man started singing.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Really happy to see that Mr.Ashley has lost £147m off his share value ( Sports Direct) almost overnight on the back of a damning city analyst report ..

Keep up the good work !

tthew

Reports on the news websites that Evans aren’t accepting gift vouchers. Pretty sure House of Frazer also did the same.

kimbers

Free click & collect was a big factor in why i used them, was very convenient

Ah, well

neilthewheel

Another ex-customer here. I won’t be putting money in that rectum’s wallet.

scaredypants

The business was on its arse long before the fat man started singing

I’m no business guru but my understanding is that “the business” was doing fine until the venture capitalists who bought it burdened it with the “debt” incurred by their purchase

the-muffin-man

Pink crocs for 99p as well.

Where! I need some new ones.

mahowlett
    Free Member

I noticed yesterday they’ve also stopped taking tesco vouchers, which although not surprising, is diappointing as that practically the only use I had for them, ah well guess it’s back to wasting them on disappointing trips to zizzi’s\pasta pesto\<insert overpriced large restaurant chain here>

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scaredypants,  absolutely, merely pointing out it wasn’t Ashley that **** over Evans, as folk will claim. Pricematching, free delivery and a high street presence doesn’t look a business model these days.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Free postage is becoming less common generally online, but when you have the likes of at least CRC, Wiggle, Halfords, Merlin etc. still offering it over on a certain size basket, Ashley’s policy change is not going to encourage existing Evans customers to stay loyal or for new ones to use them.

If it’s not stopped already, next thing will be the recently introduced conditional 10% British Cycling discount.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I get cancelling the free postage, but click and collect? They want me to pay, to move their stock, to their store?

Or CRC, will deliver it anywhere, for free. Evans are knackered, I feel sorry for the staff.

tomhoward

They want me to pay, to move their stock, to their store?

Assuming it’s not in the store already…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The expectation of free postage whilst attractive is unsustainable in most businesses.

This.  Free postage is evil. Shitloads of tiny deliveries going out in vans where the profit on the item in no way covers the cost of postage and packing.

free click and collect makes sense though as they’re presuambly delivering to most of their shops a couple of times a week anyway

crazy-legs

Rapha, when they launched the Rapha Cycling Club, offered free postage to all RCC members (who were paying what started out as £200 / year). The following year they cut free postage and dropped the memebrship fee to £135 because the “free postage” swallowed up about 80% of the income from membership fees. Unsustainable.

It doesn’t help that lots of mail order customers now have cottoned on to the trick of ordering 2 or 3 of an item, trying them all on, keeping one and returning the others which then leads to further costs to the business in restocking the item.

Marin
    Free Member

Bummer if they cancel Tesco vouchers. Got some really nice stuff over past couple of years filling the works van up at Tesco.

mahowlett
    Free Member

@marin They’ve already done it…..

edd

I get cancelling the free postage, but click and collect? They want me to pay, to move their stock, to their store?

Or CRC, will deliver it anywhere, for free.

This for me. I get removing free postage, but (I believe) they do daily deliveries from their Gatwick warehouse to their London stores anyway. It seems to me that adding an item that they have in their warehouse, but don’t have in their store, to a delivery they’re making anyway shouldn’t be charged to me.

In the past I’ve used click and collect regularly, but always at an internet price match so I accept that I’m not a great  customer.

Anyway, no real point me moaning on the internet. I’ll just continue to make purchasing decisions based on total cost*. Given that the total cost at Evans will now include delivery, it looks like I’m unlikely to be using Evans in the future.

*I actually also attribute some value to warranty. My experience with CRC has always been excellent when it comes to returns so I tend to default to CRC. Thankfully I haven’t had to make a warranty claim with Evans.

chestrockwell

Buggeration re: Tesco vouchers as I’ve saved up £400 worth for some Hope wheels!

As for the postage I’d assumed the recent hike in the cost of posting anything was down to the delivery companies subsidising their big customers and clawing back the loss of revenue from us. Cheapest I could send a bike the other week was £25!

njee20
    Free Member

Charging for click and collect is insane! What if you go into store and they say “we’ve not got that, but we can get it in”, do they add £5 then?

FWIW I got free Click & Collect yesterday, mind.

cheers_drive

HoF has gone to the same delivery terms too, and no free returns. I think it’s even crazier for clothes when people order things to try on a then return those they don’t like.

I can’t help thinking that the Sports Direct model is old fashioned and has to change to work online or omni channel.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Charging for click and collect is insane! What if you go into store and they say “we’ve not got that, but we can get it in”, do they add £5 then?

There’s a LBS in Edinburgh which won’t order anything in (e.g a pair of shoes they stock but in a different size) unless you commit to buying them first!  I get that they want to deter showrooming, but they have eradicated the advantage of bricks and mortar.

mike_p
    Free Member

Or CRC, will deliver it anywhere, for free. Evans are knackered, I feel sorry for the staff.

This +1, ahm oot

footflaps

I can’t help thinking that the Sports Direct model is old fashioned and has to change to work online or omni channel.

Agreed, but it doesn’t seem to have stopped him building a large retail empire when everyone else is retreating from the high street…..

binners

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone out on the trails in your new tracky bottoms 😀

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Evans to stop free delivery’ is closed to new replies.