Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Evans rip off merchants
  • john_walker74
    Free Member

Shops/businesses will often charge/quote over the odds as they may not want the work…

mrmojo
    Free Member

Pk-ripper at which at point to I “clearly state” I want them out of buisness ? I said it would “not be shame” bit different no ?
    I’m at the point repeating myself again and again .. 40 quid to bleed brakes is a rip off I have a choice and I choose to “opt out” end of ! I thought I would share my opinion at the price they quoted me.
    Fao simondbarnes I’m very grateful for the “discount” obv .. and your dead right I hadn’t bothered checking your link CBA.

iainc

Evans Braehead is a big store in a prime retail area so they must have pretty high overheads compared with say Willy Bain, or even Dales or Alpine. They probably also make most of their money on retail, and a bit of servicing on bikes that they have sold to people who don’t want to do work on their own bikes. So your request was probably not a job they really wanted or needed, so quoted you a fair labour rate in line with their overall return rate for a prime location store.

Personally I don’t use bike shops for servicing apart from those jobs where it’s not economic for me to buy the tools (headset cups etc), but when I do I am happy to pay the going rate. That said, if you join GMBC you’ll get half price on all workshop work at Alpine -). Brake bleeding can be a bit fiddly, even with the £30 ? shimano bleed kit, so price seems reasonable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jay2
    Free Member

Would you be happy to pay £40 to have your car brakes bled by a main dealer???
    I think the point here is if you take your car to a main dealer rather then a smaller side street garage then you would expect to pay the higher rate.

psychle
    Free Member

how about £10 friggin pounds to put a rotor on a centrelock hub… literally a 10-15 second job (I got a bike store to do it as I don’t have a torque wrench…) anyhoo, I paid it and walked out of the shop never to be seen again! I’m in the market for a torque wrench if anyone has one going 😉

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

As said before learn to do it yourself – its so simple and the cost of a bleed kit will be paid back in no time, heck you could even do your mates for a tenner a brake and ‘rip them off’

mrmojo
    Free Member

Jay2 .. I would have contemplate paying that if were an Ibis / Shimano dealer and i knew it was 100% .. as you are refering to dealer ..Evans has nothing over the “smaller side” bike shops apart from it is part of a chain.

bomberman
    Free Member

i swear to god it was the LBS who hacked us. and if if i ever remove my cranks to find my my BB shall HAS NOT been faced it’ll be be me who hacks my lbs…..

bassspine
    Free Member

I work in a small LBS. We usually undercharge on labour on service work, it’s endemic in the bike trade. You’d probably get charged £8 to £10 an end for a bleed plus a little for fluids at our shop. We want your custom.

The big boys can charge what they like, if you don’t want to pay, another punter will be along any minute. If you don’t like the price, bring a packet of good biscuits to a local bike shop, and a good attitude, and you’ll get a good deal.

Goz
    Free Member

I charge £10 per end, plus a packet of custard creams or m+s yum yums….
    Price includes all fluids, cleaners and latex gloves.

bassspine
    Free Member

…feed the mechanics, you get a good deal.

bomberman
    Free Member

sound people are sound people. evans cycles sold me a shite lock to go with my new bike and guess what happened? yup.

jay2
    Free Member

I would imagine evans have worked out their pricing structure based on what it actually costs them to do a job that takes 40 mins as most main dealer/high street retailers do, including store overheads, rent, rates, lighting, heating, wages, staff training, insurance, tools I could go on and on!!

As bassspine has pointed out most smaller LBS stores undercharge on labour and don’t really make any money from it but rely on building up a good relationship with customers, it’s the “Cheep brake bleed today, New bike sale tomorrow!! approach!!

mrmojo
    Free Member

jay2 ..that’s fair enough as I said in previous posts I didn’t have a problem paying “a bit” over the odds but 50% over is shocking … anyway I have loved and learned today about rip of bike shops off to my scratcher now up early tomoz to go riding … so any evans mechanics on here have a word and sort it .. 10/4 rubber dicks!

Gary_M
    Free Member

evans cycles sold me a shite lock to go with my new bike Because I would imagine you said you wanted to pay x amount for a lock and they stocked x lock for that amount. From what I know of evans they tend to stock pretty good brands.

ziggy
    Free Member

Maybe I should clarify, we charge £20 for a disc brake service, per brake.
    It’s not just bleeding, the fluid is flushed through and new replaced, lube pistons where possible, face the disc mounts if nessecary, check pads for wear.

I prefer to charge full whack and do the job fully, we either do it fully or not at all, you can’t make errors or mistakes with hydro brakes. A quick bleed may not find other brake issues that are present. We could end up liable if an accident occurred as we would be deemed liable once we have worked on the brakes.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Evans rip off merchants’ is closed to new replies.