Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Evans rip off merchants
  • mrmojo
    Free Member

Thought Evans in Braehead (Glasgow) were having a laugh with me today called them and asked if they could bleed my XTR brakes at short notice this morning. (I generally do my own mechanics but I’m s**t at bleeding brakes)

They told me no chance it would be Thursday at the earliest and it would be £20 per brake!!! .. thought he was having a fckin laugh !! so gave Dooleys in Paisley a bell the guy told me to bring my bike down it would be done in an hour and cost me £20. Top service I thought .. Rant over

pk-ripper
    Free Member

they quote you a price, your choice whether to pay it or not. You openly say that you’re not good at bleeding brakes, so that’s their price.

Good service from the other place, but if it was any other shop that the big name “evans” would you have bothered with this?

dickydutch

I would have said it regardless of whether its evans or not?! 20 quid is extortionate!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve always had good service from evans breahead. They gave you a price, they’re busy at the moment, you didn’t like it. Hardly a rip off.

mrmojo
    Free Member

I would never had bothered going Evans dont like using big chain bike shops but was a bit of an emergancy and it’s my nearest bike shop so thought I’d take my chances … £40 to bleed brakes is taken the piss !! there’s a service and fckin robbing you blind would have done without rather than pay that.

crazy-legs

They told me no chance it would be Thursday at the earliest and it would be £20 per brake!!! ..

That means that the workshop is busy. Any company with a busy workshop (garages/bike shops etc etc) will operate a booking system, you wouldn’t expect a garage to be able to drop everything and service your car tomorrow would you?
    £20 isn’t that bad a deal actually, sure it’s at the expensive end but I know of other non-Evans shops that charge up to £25/brake.

ziggy
    Free Member

£20 to bleed a brake is the going rate. Don’t see what the problem is.

Going to take at least 30 minutes or more to bleed an XTR unit.

mrmojo
    Free Member

Funny how I got both for £20 then .. £40 is a rip off !!

crazy-legs

Funny how I got both for £20 then .. £40 is a rip off !!

My LBS is a very small place that basically survives off workshop stuff. He charges less than big places, it’s the only way he can get business in and survive. I’d be willing to bet that the shop you went to is similar, doesn’t have a lot of work on, needs anything it can get and so accepted the job of doing your brakes.
    You could have put a constructive thread title like “Great service from LBS at short notice” but instead, as seems to be the fashion on here, you have to come up with the usual (rather poor) rant.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Learn how to do it yourself it aint hard

mrmojo
    Free Member

so if a (bisy)LBS can bleed brakes for £20 and a large retail chain charges £40 their taking the rise.
    As I say I like to give LBS my money but it was short notice a 50% price difference so a rip off !!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

ziggy – Member
    £20 to bleed a brake is the going rate. Don’t see what the problem is.

Going to take at least 30 minutes or more to bleed an XTR unit.

Ziggy to the best of my knowledge at least works in a bike shop, if not owns it. He says it’s the going rate. Therefore I think you probably got lucky with your deal.

Oh, and it’s “busy”.

joe1983
    Free Member

You’ll have to put that £20 in the swear box soon..

crazy-legs

It’s a lesson that a lot of people on here should learn – support the little guy, the LBS, cultivate a relationship with them, they’ll often do you parts for CRC prices or fix stuff on the cheap or loan out tools.

Pook

why didn’t you just go to the LBS in the first place if they’re so good?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

30 mins to bleed an XTR brake!?!?!?!?!?

I can do mine in 5 minutes and as I don’t work in a bike shop I don’t exactly get a lot of practice…

Smee
    Free Member

Sorry, but £20 per brake IS a huge **** rip off.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

£8 an end at our place, and were always busy as hell.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Smee why are you apologising, do you work for Evans?

hora
    Free Member

I’ve never had any of my brakes bled before and I brake ALOT (cough drag my rear everywhere). What do you people do to need your brakes bled?!

yen
    Free Member

30 mins to bleed an XTR brake!?!?!?!?!?

I can do mine in 5 minutes and as I don’t work in a bike shop I don’t exactly get a lot of practice…

Have u ever bleed XTR brakes? they definately do not take 5 minutes… if u can do it in that time your worth every penny 🙂

Reluctant
    Free Member

I charge £40 per hour labour. Brake bleed generally allow around 20 mins – so around £13 labour, then add a couple of quid for fluid (heck, I have to pay for it!). So, somewhere in between the two here.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Willy Bain (Bicycle Repair Man) charges a tenner a brake.

But honestly learn to do it yourself, A mate showed me how to do mine and now I can do it nae bother.

crazy-legs

I got my (old) XTR’s bled by Brixton Cycles (a truly top-notch independant London shop that gets good reviews from lots of people on here) a couple of years ago just before Mountain Mayhem. It took just under an hour, they did a fantastic job of bleeding and also cleaning the sticky pistons and they charged me £38 (discounted cos I know them).
    I considered that a very reasonable cost for their expertise (they did it on the spot too).

I do normally do it myself but never with the proper bleed kit, decided it was about time the job was done professionally.

mrmojo
    Free Member

Well this is it I can do a half arse job with brake fluid everywhere myself. Brakes felt really spongy and decided it needed done properly but was shocked to be given a 40 quid quote. I know it’s not worth that kinda money that’s why I wanted a second quote and why I posted the original post if LBS is charging £40 and above to bleed brakes then your rip off fckers also.

Why does a such a huge bike shop like Evans feel the need to charge such high prices. I for one will never step foot in the place again !

Oh and fao pk-ripper ino how to spell (bisy) busy just like I know the way to spell I know (ino) .. ce ce .. get wae it big yin !!

mrmojo
    Free Member

burnsybhoy – like your user name .. Hail Hail !

mattsccm
    Free Member

There is no such thing as a rip off. You do not have to buy the services.

simondbarnes

£20 a brake? Sounds like they offered you a discounted rate, their published rate for a brake bleed is £25 plus parts…

Evans workshop prices

mrmojo
    Free Member

What published rate would this be ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

To be fair burnsybhoy Willie Bain is very cheap compared to most places for most jobs.

epicyclo

It’s only a rip off if you are lead to believe it’s cheap and then find out after it’s expensive.

If you know beforehand, it’s not a rip off.

Also, the place was busy, so obviously most of the public is happy with their prices, or are you so special that they should drop everything and give you a special lower price?

BTW it’s almost certain that a large chain store will have higher overheads than a small lbs, so what do you expect?

mrmojo
    Free Member

So is anyone here saying £40 to bleed brakes is fair price ?1?!

mrmojo
    Free Member

[It’s only a rip off if you are lead to believe it’s cheap and then find out after it’s expensive.

If you know beforehand, it’s not a rip off.

Also, the place was busy, so obviously most of the public is happy with their prices, or are you so special that they should drop everything and give you a special lower price?

BTW it’s almost certain that a large chain store will have higher overheads than a small lbs, so what do you expect?
    ]

I took a chance as one off at a major bike retailer and was shocked at the price they gave I would never use Evans but as I keep saying as one off as I needed it done today.
    On the quote given i can only take it they hope Joe public has no idea what the price is for bike maintenance so they can charge what they want .. maybe much the same as some people would compare a woman going to garage with her car.
    I think I know a valuation of the work needing done on my bike as prob most people on this forum do when they take their bike to a bike shop .. I had a valuation I would have gone with .. 40 quid is a rip off ..

pk-ripper
    Free Member

no, we’re saying that the price quoted is what was quoted, and you had the choice not to take it and shop around for a price that you considered more in line with your expectations. A quoted price doesn’t have to be fair, but if the prices someone charges are higher than the market will bear, they will either adjust or go out of business. Evans clearly haven’t, so the market bears this price.

As epic so rightly says, it’s a rip-off if you have paid that unfairly or unreasonably, and therefore have been “ripped-off”. In this case, you did not get ripped-off.

Peregrine
    Free Member

On a car perhaps £40.0 is fair – but on a push bike i think its a little expensive. However i am ever so tight fisted and do all my own work – cos i can.

mrmojo
    Free Member

Mpk-ripper, so yes Evans a complete rip off IMO because I have choice does not mean it does not constitute it’s not a rip off .. they obv count on Joe public for example bringing in the kids bikes for etc and charging whatever they want as the average person unless biking is their passion / hobbie has have no idea what the price is to fix /service a bike .. be intresting to see what the charge to fix a puncture ..
    Go out of buisness hardly which is a shame .. My expections [/b]are paying a fare price as I repeatly say 40 quid to bleed brakes is a complete rip off …

simondbarnes

What published rate would this be ?

The rate shown in the link that I posted to Evans workshop prices.

be intresting to see what the charge to fix a puncture ..

If you’d bothered clicking the link that I posted then you’d know the answer to that already.

bomberman
    Free Member

i have never bled a pair of brakes in my life (rip the piss, i run BB7’s) but i think 20 quid a side is a bit steep. my condolances.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I have a pretty good idea what they charge to fix a puncture – it’s in the region of £12. And that will include the new tube they will install as well. I know this as I worked in a bike shop 10 years ago and we would charge £10 back then as it’s a job we didn’t really want, so that was factored into the price.

Again, you can do that much cheaper I’m sure, as could someone else. But that’s again your choice.

But, Evans have a successful business, and it’s clear they’re not missing your trade, and you so clearly state you want to see them go out of business – why is that? Because you don’t want to pay their prices? Because you don’t want to see them screwing the little guy? Are you consistent when extrapolating this concept to your other shopping?

Peregrine
    Free Member

Are you consistent when extrapolating [quote]

Sounds disgusting…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Evans rip off merchants’ is closed to new replies.