Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Evans- ride it South Wales endurance
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Anyone else booked onto this?

My mate who was doing it with me has broken his coxix.

50 miles with plenty of climbing including the gap road… I’ve never ridden around there.

I’m thinking the Enduro bike will be a bit much and my xc race type hardtail will be out it’s depth.

Do I

A) fit light fast rolling rear tyre to the Enduro bike and suffer on climbs etc

B) fit a dropper and bigger tyres to my x.c. hardtail (and a suspension fork as I run it rigid).

Serious question, it’s a bit of a dilemma!

jameso

xc race type hardtail will be out it’s depth.

Nothing on Ride-It routes that can’t be ridden on a rigid or short-travel XC bike by an averagely skilled rider. The Gap is fun on a bigger bike but most (legal!) riding there is natural XC.

chilled76
    Free Member

Ah brill, average skilled rider probably describes me well.

I had visions of taking that bike and some of it being huge rock gardens etc.

I’ve heard the gap has ace scenery, looking forward to it!

Right… need a 31.6 non stealth dropper then

trailwagger
    Free Member

I saw this a while and thought about going it on my gravel bike. Enduro will be overkill IMHO

taxi25
    Free Member

I saw this a while and thought about going it on my gravel bike. Enduro will be overkill IMHO

It wouldn’t be my first choice, the gap climb and descent are very rocky. Everyone I know who did the Brecon Beast on a CX bike said something else would have been more fun.

eskay

I agree taxi25 – I did the Brecon Beast once on a rigid hardtail and was shaken to bits. The following year I did it on a normal hardtail and rode it was much more enjoyable.

chilled76
    Free Member

XC Hardtail seems to be the consensus then.

Anything mega steep? Don’t have a dropper or QR on my xc bike and may invest in a dropper for it for such occasions.

cuyahoga
    Free Member

Anyone able to compare this route to any of the (not at all cancelled, just not happening) MBR Adventurecross series, such as the Lakeland Monster Miles, Galloway Gallop or Peak District Pioneer…?

Looking for alternatives for this year and the Ride-It stuff seems similar.

Cheers, Stu

eskay

I have never ridden it with a dropper

chilled76
    Free Member

I’m getting conflicting opinions about this elsewhere- can anyone else offer an opinion/advice?

If I had a 120mm full suss I’d take that. 50 miles and 6000ft on the big bike feels a lot, but also don’t want to suffer descending on the xc hardtail if some of it is pretty rough.

welshfarmer

You will be fine on an XC hardtail. There won’t be much more than 250 metres of track on the Gap that will need to be ridden “with care” without rear suspension. Even with, it is a bit tasty for most mortal riders. Do you have a copy of the route, I can soon tell if there is anywhere else to worry about.

EDIT

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1-k-HHXncXo-SWsXks__AEDPuNlLIYuAW&ll=51.84997103009748%2C-3.2984658410643988&z=12

I would happily do it on my gravel bike, have done it all many times on a XC Hardtail, and would consider it overbiked on a full suss.

chilled76
    Free Member
    pjm84
    Free Member

Thanks. I wasn’t sure what to run with and thought it was a hilly 50km ride. At 80km I think my 100mm hardtail is a safer bet.

chilled76
    Free Member

I’ve ended up deciding on the big bike. Fitted smaller faster rolling tyres though as the DHR/DHF WT are a hell of a drag.

Gone for a 2.3 aggressor/highroller combo and will bear the bigger weight on the climbs for a comfier day out.

superfli
    Free Member

Ooh, I’m doing ths event. Not my usual kind of thing but do like a long XC ride every now and again! Never ridden the Gap and have often thought about it. It’ll be a good test for my new HT. Orange P7 29er. Rides lovely, but its a little hefty at 33lb! Its 3lb heavier than my Enduro FS!
    Mate of mine who is doing it with me is taking his mobilehome so we can have a nice sleep and not have to get up at 04:30! Weather is looking extremely promising 🙂

chilled76
    Free Member

Weather looks ace for tomorrow!

pjm84
    Free Member

Sadly I’m out due to a infection that seems to have gone into my jaw bone following some root canal work. Hoping to be back the following week for the Pembrey beach race / jolly.

mattg73
    Free Member

What an awesome event. Excellent organisation, perfect weather with a challenging and varied route and stunning scenery.

Did it on a hardtail and my tyres were definitely run at too much pressure for the gnarly descents.

rOcKeTdOg

I reckon the gap can be done on a gravel bike with care. only dodgy bit would be through the saddle and this bit after. easier now than when it’s a sheet of ice too. more fun on an MTB though arguably
    2019-03-30_06-32-17

chilled76
    Free Member

Yep. Thoroughly enjoyed that!

Got a few top ten Strava cups too wooh!

superfli
    Free Member

Fantastic weather and scenery. I was a little disappointed in the descents. The gap descent was like riding over rubble, lots of loose rock. I thought the first descent alongside the reservoir was best. Lots of road work at the end too, probably about 10 miles. Thought it would be as tough as something like the dyfi enduro, but no where near as. Still a great day out and really enjoyed it!
    Got KOM somewhere and 3rd somewhere else 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

Thought about doing it, but in the end after looking at the route decided to just do the Gap ride from Pant with my mate. All the best bits, cutting out much of the filler. We got to include the full Brinore Tramroad climb which was missing from the Evans ride. Saw loads of you guys and girls doing the event, and everyone seemed to be having a fantastic day in glorious weather 😎😎

SludgeJudge

Very well organised event, great riding and fantastic weather. Shocked at the huge amount of litter on the cycle paths and verges by the heads of the valley road.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Evans- ride it South Wales endurance’ is closed to new replies.