Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 187 total)
  • Evans Cycles….. Majorly INCOMPETENT? Read this if you value your LIFE!!!!!
  • v666ern
    Free Member

I do value my life, but I’ve just wasted 10 minutes of it reading this thread, do you by any chance film every ride and shout at cars…
    Dear op suggestion for next thread title ‘evans did a boo boo’

Scapegoat

Now that we’ve our stopped our suspicious carping at the OP, how about acknowledging that he has a real gripe? He was handed a bike that had dangerous faults following their work on it which sounds to me like shockingly negligent, not “having a bad day”, the manager of the store hasn’t replied to his complaint and neither has the wider company. That’s shocking in a day where customer service should be at he forefront of all business, small or large. I cannot understand how anyone on here is defending either the mechanic or Evans.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I cannot understand how anyone on here is defending either the mechanic or Evans.

If that was aimed at me,

Drive to Kendal and kick of with the staff in the Evans there because A guy made a mistake in london.

bruneep

Only skimmed it but the highlight for me is

The breaks are Shimano Deore and so were the break pads

🙄

wwaswas

to be honest i have limited sympathy simply because if you can’t work on your own brakes you shouldn’t really be out there.

I can change the brake pads on my car but if I choose to let the garage do it for whatever reason and they create a situation in which the vehicle is unsafe I should just suck it up and expect no sympathy?

As the OP said – he chooses to let the professionals do the job so it’s done properly, not necessarily that he couldn’t do it at a pinch.

Evans clearly got it very wrong.

Their lack of response to a complaint in writing is pretty poor.

If this were me I’d be tweeting links to this thread at them and dropping it in to Facebook. If you can get a few freinds to retweet ctiticism so much the better.

Having said that, now that the problem’s been fixed what is the OP expecting as an outcome from the complaint?

theotherjonv

Man contracts bike repair job to a pro
    Pro fails to do it properly
    Man avoids potentially nasty injury
    Complains to shop who fixes it
    Complains to management of shop who don’t respond
    Posts overblown and slightly sensationalist version of account and gets mild flaming for it

Tbh, I think the complaint’s valid, both for the shoddy work, and latterly against Evans the chain for failing in their customer service response. However, OP has somewhat over egged the story. I find in favour of the plaintiff, but I’m reducing his compensation due to being a bit of a drama queen.

Case closed.

Next case; class action vs #1bike bits. Pass me the black cap, I’ll be needing that later.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I tend to rely on bike stores to do my maintenance like I rely on builders to do my DIY, I prefer to pay for a good job rather than do an ok or poor job myself

My approach is the opposite – apart from things like gas boilers where the law prevents me, I prefer to take the time to learn how to do stuff, and then make sure I do a good job myself. It wasn’t bike brakes that prompted me into this; I took my car in to have a suspension spring replaced (special spring compressor required for the model) and the mechanic dismantled the front brakes as well (unnecessary) and reassembled them so they didn’t work.

jimification
    Free Member

JCL: The mechanic is probably a crackhead. When I was hooked on crack I used to forget everything.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRS41-7MTSs[/video]

Scapegoat

Singlespeed_Shep – Member
    I cannot understand how anyone on here is defending either the mechanic or Evans.
    If that was aimed at me,

Drive to Kendal and kick of with the staff in the Evans there because A guy made a mistake in london.
    It wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular, I don’t do arguing on the interwebz. 8) The OP paid Evans to work on his bike. They gave it back to him faulty and dangerous. They have then failed to even acknowledge his complaint. I am merely expressing surprise at the number of people who have jumped down his throat and tried to belittle him.

OK, his opening post was melodramatic, but has, I would suggest, knack all to do with Kendal.

kayak23

Sympathies to the OP but I’m calling drama queen….
    🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

D
    I
    Y

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

It wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular, I don’t do arguing on the interwebz. The OP paid Evans to work on his bike. They gave it back to him faulty and dangerous. They have then failed to even acknowledge his complaint. I am merely expressing surprise at the number of people who have jumped down his throat and tried to belittle him.

Fair play,

also why I said I wasn’t defending the incident, mechanics are there to fix stuff, he wanted something fixing.

I can cook a pizza, but i sometimes can’t be ar5ed and call Mario.

Euro
    Free Member

I have a little sympathy too.

Not wanting to come over all Captain Hindsight here, but one of the first things I do on any bike is check the brakes work. Even if it’s been in the shed overnight and they worked fine the day before. I ‘d be extra careful if i’d left them in to get worked on.

honourablegeorge

weeksy – Member
    to be honest i have limited sympathy simply because if you can’t work on your own brakes you shouldn’t really be out there.

Don’t agree with that at all. Not reasonable to expect everyone to do their own maintenance

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gross Negligence Manslaughter

LOL!

honourablegeorge

patriotpro
    Free Member

maverick680 – Member
    I rarely start a new topic

Rarely, how about never.

DezB
    Free Member

A bit over-dramatic with the thread title. But yes, Evans are crap for maintenance. Try Halfords next time.

bencooper
    Free Member

What outcome would you like from this?

The mechanic made a mistake – a bad one. Did he mean to do it? I doubt it. Is he going to double and triple check his work from now on? Too right. Would an impersonal apology from some PR person in the head office make things all better?

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’m more surprised that people are using Evans for maintenance still.

Conan257
    Free Member

I’d be on their Facebook page making a couple of tame comments to try and get some contact with them…

(Skipped most of the replies if others have mentioned this)

russ295
    Free Member

Pretty legit complaint IMO.
    Imagine if it was a kids bike.
    Fair play to the OP, he could of lay on the ground, phoned an abulance and passed his case on to lawyers4u and made a mint!

khani
    Free Member

I sympathise with the OP, shit service is shit and Evans cycles provided shit service…. Really shit..

kimbers

Ive had my pads fall out due to an incompetent mechanic* who was too lazy to use the retaining circlip for the pin on his pads

was descending on glentress black somewhere and can confirm its shit scary and ended up with me lucky to crash into some bushes rather than rocks

*I was that mechanic

anyway in an effort to leave joblesstrackworld I failed to get a part time sales assistant job at my local evans!?

mudshark
    Free Member

I support the OP.

However I wouldn’t trust a bike shop mechanic and do anything I can myself. I did get Evans in Gatwick to cut down my carbon steerer tube though and when I got the bike home found the stem/steerer bolts hadn’t been tightened. So that could have resulted in pain but I never trust them so found the problem.

martinhutch

Not wanting to come over all Captain Hindsight here, but one of the first things I do on any bike is check the brakes work. Even if it’s been in the shed overnight and they worked fine the day before. I ‘d be extra careful if i’d left them in to get worked on.

They did work fine though – right up to the moment the pad fell out!

You’re right though, I like a quick visual check of brakes, QRs etc etc before hurtling off. Looking down and seeing your front QR flapping about when you’re at full whack is a disconcerting thing.

Dickyboy

sounds like bike was handed over before job was finished, shouldn’t happen but it did, you hadn’t gone in there all high & might like your op demanding to pick your bike up NOW!!!! had you?

personally I can’t decide if this thread makes me want to boycott Evans or STW 😕

Trimix
    Free Member

break : brake.

Learn how to fix your own bike so you dont have to risk shite workmanship and buy stuff from CRC / UK bikestore / Wiggle if you want speedy delivery.

yunki
    Free Member

I sympathise with the OP.. many many folk put their lives in the hands of mechanics day in and day out..

You don’t expect to have to check their work

That said, there’s probably not much you can do… They are not going to want to accept any liability for this mistake and seem to have gotten away with it
    I’d be down there throwing a few punches just for personal satisfaction*

*Don’t try this at home kids

njee20
    Free Member

Besides, the duration of my membership here has nothing to do with the subject matter….

It does though doesn’t it, otherwise you’re just a random crazy person. I’d always take a ‘complaint’ from an established forum member more seriously than someone who signs up solely to complain. You may just be out to cause trouble for Evans (not Evan’s – Evan does not own the shop!), for all we know.

They screwed up, they fixed it. Pretty crap, happy ending. Not sure you’re going to manage to get a conviction for “Gross Negligence Manslaughter”, as much as I chuckled at that!

wwaswas

otherwise you’re just a random crazy person

yes, we tend to only take people with a track record of craziness seriously on here.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Trust no one !,thats why i don’t,and do all the work on mine and my mates myself,i’m aware not everyones mechanically capable,but you would be better going on a basic bike mech course rather risk putting your life in some spotty oiks hands…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’d always take a ‘complaint’ from an established forum member more seriously than someone who signs up solely to complain.

Maybe that’s Evans ethos as well.

bencooper
    Free Member

Trust no one !,thats why i don’t,and do all the work on mine and my mates myself

But do your mates trust you?

We put our trust in professionals all the time. Occasionally it goes wrong – that’s what public liability insurance is for. All you can hope is that the mechanic has learned to double-check things more thoroughly next time.

buck53

I’m going to try and be constructive (I know, I know).

The OP’s complaint is definitely legit, the bike shouldn’t have left the shop like that, lack of response from shop/head office is also poor, you’re right to feel aggrieved about that.

If you want to take something positive out of the situation (other than not getting deaded) I think there’s a couple of points to be taken away.

Firstly, escalate the complaint as soon as you went back to the shop, ask to speak to the manager there and then, make them aware of the situation and ask them what well be done, not in a “fire him now” way but a “how did this happen? What will be done to stop it happening again” way.

Secondly, use this as the spring board to start picking up a bit of knowledge regarding maintaining your own bike. There’s no piece of mind like that of doing the job yourself and knowing everything is in order.

boblo
    Free Member

Christ on an (Evans maintained) bike…. Too much carp to read. This made me laugh tho… 😆

nealglover – Member
    I wrote a complaint to Evan’s directly to the store …

To be fair, if you wrote your letter in a similar way to your OP. He probably hasn’t finished reading it yet.

binners

You can go on about doing all your maintenance yourself. But I’d rather trust a drug-crazed orangutan wielding an angle grinder to work on my bike, than me.

That’s why the bike gets dropped in the LBS. So that hopefully it won’t be subjected to the same level of cack-handed ineptitude that I would have delivered. Not really much to ask, is it?

tomtomthepipersson

weeksy – Member

Shakes head in disbelief.

nealglover
    Free Member

I have sympathy with OP really.

I bet it can be really boring working a night shift packing parcels at CRC or Wiggle 😉

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Whilst I tend to have a go at pretty much all bike mainenance mysself,I think if I were the OP I`d be entitled to expect the job to be done properly.

By agreeing to do the work,they should also be agreeing to a duty of care. Given how little it would take to make a gesture of goodwill,or to have responded to the OPs letter of complaint,which may have resulted in a postiive forum posting ,Im surpised they didn`t try a bit harder.

+ 1 to Buck 53.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘Evans Cycles….. Majorly INCOMPETENT? Read this if you value your LIFE!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.