Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Evans cycles: ha ha…
  • sparkingchains
    Free Member

£30 to clean your chains and gears… on no it’s only £10, god there must be some lazy people around.

http://www.evanscycles.com/servicing/winter-gear-chain-clean?utm_source=email110221&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

ton

same people who use car washes eh?………….. 🙄

Spud

For £10 seems good value to me, saves me messing around for and hour getting it all shiny!

ton

spud…………nail on the head……… 😀

Merak

‘A fool and his money are easily parted’

I take some pleasure from keeping my bikes clean and tidy, a clean bike is a fast bike.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Mmmm, lube on a wet chain. Might as well just eat the tenner.

carlosg
    Free Member

a clean bike is a fast bike

Nah sorry a clean bike is a clean bike , how fast it goes depends on the rider 😉

does seem silly though to pay somebody a tenner for a job that only takes 15 minute to do anyway.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Seems like a relatively good deal to me.

martymac

personally, i wouldnt use it, but i dont think a tenner is a lot for that service.
    not everyone has the facilities/space to do it themselves.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Half the clean bikes I’ve seen always seem to start falling to bits after 5 miles because the owner’s spend too long fiddling and polishing, but not enough time tightening things post fiddle.
    Don’t fix what isn’t broken 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

if i was cycling to work every day in the city and lived in a flat, i’d happily pay a tenner to have my bikes gears cleaned up while i’m working.

scaredypants

The chain and gear clean gives a full removal of your drive train, cleaning, and refitting

depending on definitions, that may be a brilliant deal – clean & regrease gears and chain, so that’s taking off & cleaning chain, cassette & mechs? cables too? BB? pedal bearings?

My mate has a commuter that I needed plusgas on to shift the evil black tar that had built up and stopped both mechs from moving at all.

I doubt it does, mind

jhw
    Free Member

Actually, I think that’s a brilliant idea and a fair price. I’m rarely home from work before 8:30pm and typically have 2 and a half hours each weekend maximum for riding once transport out from London is factored in. Plus, I live in a first floor flat with no terrace. So stripping the bike down on a regular basis and giving it a nice thorough clean myself just isn’t viable (unless I want to spend my spare time cleaning my bike instead of riding it). Pretty much all the other riders I know are in exactly the same position actually, but none of them bother (as I do) spending £60-120 on a service every few months so their bikes just deteriorate. For me the only option for maintenance really is using shops, I’d have to completely change my life structure for it to be otherwise, and then I’m unsure how I’d pay the rent. Have tried doing maintenance myself but it just doesn’t work in the time I have available. Lots of retirees living outside cities with independent sources of income on this forum, it would appear. Actually the main thing that bothers me about this lifestyle is not that I don’t have time to service my bike myself (I couldn’t care less) but that I only ever have time to ride the same fixed loops (on great trails admittedly) and can’t really explore any more.

radoggair
    Free Member

was he not sticking a chain connector link in at the end?. If so, why did he need a chain splitter?

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

Probaly because it didnt have one at the beginning

Merak

IanMunro – Member

Half the clean bikes I’ve seen always seem to start falling to bits after 5 miles because the owner’s spend too long fiddling and polishing, but not enough time tightening things post fiddle.
    Don’t fix what isn’t broken

70 odd miles for today on the winter bike, a couple of hours on my NTB in foul weather yesterday and after cleaning they’re both still in one piece. Clean bikes ftw

😉

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Seems like a fair deal to me – as JHW says, bike maintenence is bloody easy if you have a shed/garage/hospipe but it takes a ridiculous amount of time to do it if you reside in a top floor flat (with cream carpets), not to mention pissing off your other half when they find a cassette degreasing in a saucepan.

a tenner? why not? I might bumble down to evans tomorrow.

On the other hand, my cynical side says that once the bikes in the workshop, Evans will suggest a couple of new chainrings, a casette and a chain, or maybe a full service to boot. So pretty shrewd move by Evans.

Merak

jimbobrighton – Member
    bike maintenence is bloody easy if you have a shed/garage/hospipe but it takes a ridiculous amount of time to do it if you reside in a top floor flat (with cream carpets)

Agreed, Im lucky enough to have a garage next to my house with a hose etc.

For £10 once a month say, for top floor flat dwellers then aye its fair enough.

br
    Free Member

We have an Evans in our offices (and anyone else working at a large building just off the M4 knows where we are), and that must be what an awful lot of people do, as the guys are always busy.

While I enjoy cleaning/maintaining my bike, many don’t.

Mister-P
    Free Member

A clean bike is a faster bike. Well a bike with a clean chain is anyway. The efficiency of a chain drive system falls when it is dirty so by running a clean chain more of your effort goes into driving the bike forwards.

philfive
    Free Member

i dropped my bike in for some other stuff to be fixed as evans is around the corner from where i work. i got them to this service for me as i was struggling for time to do it myself. they didn’t really do that good a job, i never got a scorecard and the work they did on the bike was crap.

all in all good service 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Evans cycles: ha ha…’ is closed to new replies.