Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Evans Cycles, delays, how healthy?
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Hey all – I ordered an Arkrose D3 to fix a long-standing itch for a gravel bike, for future bikepacking adventures and as a short-term fudge on an inside bike for Zwift.

Since ordering last week, I’ve started belatedly to wonder when it might be delivered and I remembered about its ownership (…), the challenges on the high street retailers right now, and – finding it hard to find a phone number or LiveChat agents to reply to me – have started to get a bit twitchy about the health of the business. It’s not that it should be here already, but just the environment and a lack of visibility or contactability have made me cautious.

Has anyone else ordered online from them recently – if so, what kinda turnaround did you get?

Really hope Evans does OK through all of this shutdown, and that any wider strains on Frasers Group don’t amplify its challenge.

thegreatape
    Free Member

How did you pay?

mcinnes
    Free Member

Debit card…

J-R

I’ve had two orders for bike bits from them delivered in the last week. Took a day or two longer than normal. Maybe the warehouse is busy, or just less efficient because of distancing?

akira

Like most places doing online stuff there will be less staff and more work so you’ll be fine. Shops still open in a very reduced manner to support key workers and do very limited other stuff.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Debit Card? Ow.

I ordered some stuff from CRC a couple of weeks ago; it arrived Friday; about 10 days later. I ordered some gear from Merlin and it was on my doorstep the next day.

Big outfits are running on a skeleton staff. Smaller places are running as usual.

You’ll likely be fine, but it won’t be quick.

winston
    Free Member

Rubbish shops are still rubbish shocker

bearnecessities

Debit Card? Ow.

Wouldn’t worry too much about that as you can still claim a chargeback via your bank.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/

matt_outandabout

Rubbish shops are still rubbish shocker

And I’ve decided to not use them again, in light of the ceo’s attitude and track record.

mcinnes
    Free Member

Thanks all. Appreciate the experiences, and do agree about smaller places faster at the mo.
    Will hang in there and hope for a good outcome.

(Debit card is my only current option, for those feeling judgey 🙂 – but point noted, it would be smarter to make other big purchases through friends or family’s credit cards).

MoreCashThanDash

Much as I hate Ashley, his takeover saved the Nottingham store and it’s excellent staff and gave them a pay rise.

I’ll boycott the rest of his brands but can’t bring myself to abandon Evans. They were a proper LBS when I lived down south many years ago

bruneep

Ordered stuff I got via evans gift vouchers for B/day. Apert from not being able to collect from local store time from order to delivery was as expected.

Was bike actually in stock or did they have to order in?

mcinnes
    Free Member

Bike was in stock.
    Online order tracking has been saying ‘Stock allocated’ since order placed. I can see others asking for updates on Twitter and FB where they’re in a similar position (stock available but no progress) but are weeks further down the line than my order.

I do think it’s fairly likely there’s nothing to worry about and this is just adjusting to surge of orders and shift to online only (majority).
    It is also quite possible that the group has been hit really hard by shops closing, cash and payments out are freezing, and orders keep coming in but products slow or stop going out. Hence wanting to get a sense check here, to extent possible.

muzz
    Free Member

McInnes, the trouble with bikes is that they need a qualified mechanic to PDI them then box them up for posting. There may be fewer/no such people around currently.

Other bits and bobs can be sent out easier.

Evans/Frasers group will obviously suffer from all this financially I would be shocked if Evans don’t emerge the other side given the money behind them, and I think Evans are one of the better/more sustainable arms of Frasers.

mcinnes
    Free Member

Great points @muzz. Thanks.

MoreCashThanDash

Should have added – great choice of bike, love mine, tyres are a bit puncture prone so converted mine to tubeless

mcinnes
    Free Member

That is good to hear @MoreCashThanDash 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Evans Cycles, delays, how healthy?’ is closed to new replies.