• This topic has 84 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by tthew.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Evans above (moany bike purchase content)
  • pondo

Yeah, pretty sure – there’s no adapter in the bumpf I’ve got left, I couldn’t say there wasn’t one in the box that the shop has misplaced. Will email Trek, interested to hear what they say about what should be in the box.

rOcKeTdOg

Suspicious that the bike came from Trek’s official UK stock or even the Dutch hub if it didn’t have a UK adapter.
    Trek will be very helpful if you contact them.

ayjaydoubleyou

An e-bike that won’t charge (even once you have corrected their illegal plug mistake) is clearly not fit for purpose, and the cycle scheme vouchers seems like a nightmare. I understand losing the difference if it turns out to be cheaper but why on earth can you not pay any outstanding balance on the spot?

So for that you have my sympathies.

Complaining it’s got the saddle at the wrong height though? He’s a teenager in a bike shop not a saville row tailor who can estimate your inseam just by looking at how you walk in. If I was picking up a bike with the intention of riding it away, I’d either take a toolkit or make sure it was to my liking before leaving the shop.

pondo

Wrong height’s an inconvenience, but that’s ok (although they might be better erring on the low side than the high) – that the saddle and the handlebars were not straight, and the front mudguard rubbed, all speak to me of a real lack of care in assembly.

dyna-ti

Yeah, it should be the responsibility of the bike mechanic(and i use the term mechanic quite loosely in relation to evans/halfords etc) to not only check over his own work, but to test ride it to make sure everything works as it should.

I can feel your disappointment. Its a lot of money to spend on what is a very basic bike, when you compare it to how much that normally buys you. But im sure once these niggles have been worked out, you’ll enjoy your riding about.

spooky_b329

You can get snap together clamshells that convert a 2 pin plug to 3 pin. I’ve had a couple of items from main stream brands like this, looks a bit clunky and I opened it to find the 2 pin plug inside.

So if you can’t be arsed to chase them for a UK charger perhaps you can buy one of those. Have you checked the speed limiter on the bike…some countries have a higher speed limit.

LAT

Just because Ashley is scum, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t expect decent service.

in the same way that we shouldn’t expect a psycho to kill us?

ampthill

It’s reasonable to put pressure on Trek to make sure that any of their dealers meets their minimum standards. It’s reasonable to except any shop to obey uk consumer law.

pondo

No call or email from the shop over the weekend – popped them an email first thing this morning (no response) so dropped in on my lunchbreak, no mechanic in today, so no idea if it charged or not (so it did not). Awaiting a response from Trek.

PrinceJohn

It feels very much like the service is actually getting worse as time goes on – so kudo for Evans for that.

dyna-ti

I think you should also query them as to why they are refusing to answer the emails you are sending them. Seems all very unprofessional.

mert
    Free Member

I think you should also query them as to why they are refusing to answer the emails you are sending them.

Maybe their internet needs fixing at the same time as the phone?

Seems all very unprofessional.

There are lots of words you can use to describe Evans, professional is not on that list.

pondo

Contact with Trek established.

jameso

I think you should also query them as to why they are refusing to answer the emails you are sending them. Seems all very unprofessional.

Probably just busy and delayed rather than refusing. The shops are likely to be minimally staffed these days – bike shop taking is massively down and retail overheads are high. Frustration with a company structure is one side of this, still it’s good to have a bit of empathy for a retail worker on high st retail wages.

pondo

Yeah, I’m not without sympathy – the pre-collection frustration was totally about Evans’s internal processes, and I was well aware I was just speaking to the poor sods who have to deal with the consequences of that. The chap on Saturday I have less empathy for – he was borderline rude to a disappointed customer who just wants his bike. I appreciate it was his last day before his holiday, but it would have cost him nothing to say ‘sorry to hear you’ve had problems, we’ll get right on it’.

roverpig

To be fair to the OP there did used to be a bike shop called Evans operating out of the same premises as these shysters. So it’s an easy mistake to make 🙂

CountZero

Filled with dread when I get my Evri shipping confirmation.

Order been sitting in processing for a week and already past latest “estimated” delivery date.

Same here – ordered several bottles of whiskey at Christmas, not just for me, Masters of Malt reckoning delivery by the end of the week, so plenty of time. Get Evri mail saying collected, out for delivery. Then get an update saying there was a delay. Then I see a local news report about parcel holdups at an Evri depot in Swindon, people outside saying they’ve been waiting for over three weeks, inside looked like Heathrow luggage hall.
    I contacted Masters of Malt to let them know the situation, they say, ok, keep in touch, two days later, no further information from Evri, I’m in touch with MoM, I’ve got £100-ish of stuff just sitting somewhere. They ask me for the exact order details, which I supply, shortly after I get a despatch update for a replacement order, via different courier and my delivery arrives when it should have done. Exemplary service from MoM, I can’t thank them enough for the help they provided, but Evri can crash and burn, for all I care.

I appreciate it was his last day before his holiday, but it would have cost him nothing to say ‘sorry to hear you’ve had problems, we’ll get right on it’.

Being nice costs absolutely nothing, I never fail to be polite to staff wherever I’m shopping, because if you’re tired after a long day where things just haven’t worked right, then having Mr Entitled Asshole pitch up may be all it takes to send someone home in floods of tears, and that I couldn’t bear.

pondo

Still no contact from Evans, so I don’t know if it’s charged or not – I presume not. Trek have offered me a replacement charger.

Not feeling the New Bike Day excitement so much. 🙁

tthew

This is really shit service, above and beyond the standard shit service you may expect.

It’s not even like you can just reject it and demand a refund as the bike to work voucher very much complicates matters. The other possible course of action would be to get your company HR or whoever administers the scheme to wade into Evans at the corporate level as currently they own the bike, (theoretically). I guess if Evans were threatened with loosing the C2W contract, this might get remedied sharpish.

pondo

Turns out it’s ready, all charged and waiting for me to pick up. Having had no response by email, popped down at lunch to see the score – was parked at the desk for 5 minutes while they had a conflab in the workshop, then brought in for a chat. No problem, no fault, it charged fine – must have gone into sleep mode and apparently when it does, it’s very hard to wake up again (they didn’t offer instruction and as I suspect that’s nonsense, I didn’t ask). Chap I left it with left no instruction, so they weren’t sure what was wrong, and he’s the only person who has access to the workshop@ email address, hence the lack of response. As previously, I can’t fault the people I spoke to, they were polite and apologetic to a fault, but JFC. I now have two bikes on one lock at work – very glad it’s pretty secure.

cokie

You have my condolences.. I’ve had the same terrible experience at Evans (Reading) with a Trek.
    Told bike was ready to collect and on arrival it was still in the delivery box.
    Wouldn’t let me take it as is, so had to wait 2 hours (!!) for assembly.
    Pop-lock missing entirely, saddle and stem not straight, tyres not seated, gears not indexed, they scratched the frame down to metal in several places, lose bolts throughout, almost flat tyres, grease covering everything & some protective packaging left.
    I would have rejected it but had an XC race series starting the next day, so had to wait as they scavenged a pop-lock off another stock bike. Everything else I fixed at home late into the night ahead of the race the next day. Pointed out the damage and pretty much told ‘meh, pick a bell off the shelf if you want’. Left me with a real bitter taste and took the shine off the ‘new bike day’.

£2k+ bike! I get better service in Primark.
    Will never touch them again.

clubby

Hoping for better luck when I pick the wife’s bike up tomorrow.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

So the consensus is “don’t buy a new e-bike from Evans”?

seriousrikk

Fixed that for you

xora

must have gone into sleep mode and apparently when it does, it’s very hard to wake up again

Sounds like the sort of complete bollocks PC World were famous for!

dyna-ti

Maybe even ‘Don’t buy a Giant from Evans’ Double the trouble 😆

reeksy

I may be making a massive assumption here in the absence of photos, but what the hell.

You need to cut the grass/clean the moss of the drive/sweep the leaves.

BruceWee

must have gone to sleep and apparently when it does, it’s very hard to wake up again

I understand completely. It sounds reasonable, I’m the same way.

Wait a minute! I’m not an ebike battery, I’m a human being.

They’re talking bollocks at you!

v7fmp

i had such a painful experience with evans 18 months-ish ago i wont ever spend another penny with them. Utterly piss poor customer service, not returning calls or emails, no sympathy or empathy. Customer service were no help. grrr.. makes me angry thinking about it!

Such a shame, as they used to be a half decent bike shop back in the day.

Hopefully you are now sorted and can enjoy the new steed!

pondo

Trek have confirmed that sleep mode is not in the manual – assistance cut out completely on the way home last night, everything (including battety and power indicators) still lit, just no oomph until I turned it off and back on again. Range still poor, less than 60% battery after 7 miles and 400ft of mostly level 1 with bits of 2 and 3. Have asked Trek about the possibility of a replacement, if that range is less than they would expect, too.

You know that gentle ringing noise when the pads are just touching the disk lightly? Does that, too. 🙁

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Ugh, what a pain. Keep at it!

pondo

Trek have offered credit from their website as compensation for the wrong lead, and referred me to the shop for the other issues – appreciate the offer but I’m not bothered about getting more Trek stuff, and the bike’s going back.

With fantastic irony, the generic mamager@ email address was copied in and I got a delivery failure. That shop REALLY doesn’t want to talk to anyone!

Duggan

OP, I feel your pain, that sounds uber disappointing. I always thought Evans were pretty good in the past despite everyone saying they’re garbage, though I’m not sure if I was just lucky with my local store but they were always helpful and their workshop got me out of a last-minute hole a couple of times and once or twice didn’t even charge me.

I’ve not used them since the takeover but I also probably would have bought something on a calculated-risk basis from them if the deal was good- but not now, so I appreciate the heads-up.

clubby

So just picked up my wife’s “full serviced and road worthy” new bike. As predicted by other posters, a squint stem and the winged grips with wildly different jaunty angles.
    Hour or so in garage ahead checking everything else I think.
    At least the wee Saturday boy in store was efficient enough, despite his Sports Direct uniform.

Good luck getting yours sorted out pondo.

pondo

Bike returned with zero hassle – the guy who was super-grumpy last week was fine this week, which I’m pleased about as it means I can legitimately say all the staff I’ve spoken to have been fine, it’s just Evans’s processes and bike assembly that have been rubbish. Both Cyclescheme and Evsns say the refund should go through in days. 🙂

Any recommendations for a circa £2k e-commuter…? 🙂

Alex

I have one of these: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Orbea/Vibe-H10-EQ-Electric-Hybrid-Bike-2022/VFH6?s=1 – that XL is brilliant value if your a taller chap. But some good deals on this and the lower spec models as I think a new one is due.

Range on mine is 60-70 miles. Don’t hammer it in Turbo and it’s very efficient. Quiet. reliable, surprisingly fun to ride, nicely made and even the app isn’t horrible! I use mine for 10-30 mile rides generally as a car replacement. On the flat and downhill, I’ll turn the motor off, it’s a fast rolling bike and it’s very light for an ebike.

On very steep hills, it’s probably a bit underpowered but in the 500 miles I’ve ridden mine, I’ve not wanted more power because I love the way it looks and light weight. Dumped the Brookes saddle. Otherwise as stock – if you get ^^^ one, the Magura MT5s are fantastic.

pondo

That looks great, and 60-70 mile range would be amazeballs! But I fear an XL would be a bit big for my 5′ 10″. 🙁 Cheers for the shout, though – will keep my eyes open for more of the same. 🙂

fazzini

You need to cut the grass/clean the moss of the drive/sweep the leaves.

Sadly lacking mention of weeds, so you can make amends when when @pondo gives notification of NBD2.0 😉😂

Alex

That looks great, and 60-70 mile range would be amazeballs! But I fear an XL would be a bit big for my 5′ 10″.

I’m 5ft11 on a large. Quite short compared to MTB but very comfy. I think Sigma and others have them on offer if you fancy hunting around.

pondo

Checked with Cyclescheme and the shop hadn’t notified them that bike had been returned – that’s now been done (alledgedly), so just another five days lost.

I should write a very dull book about all this. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.