• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by tthew.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • EV car thread
  • wool

Anyone worked out if it’s now more expensive to charge at home than it would be to use a petrol car ?
    Just wondering if it’s worth sticking with my outdated fossil fuel car for the moment.

igm

It’s not.

Overnight charging at 12p a unit gives 3.5-4p a mile.

Even at government capped rates its less than 12p a mile.

That would be good going in an ICE car.

That said you have to buy / steel an EV so your existing ICE might be cheaper for now.

didnthurt

I’m still on a cheap rate but this runs out in March, I’ll have to see what deals are about then.

As I do about 20k miles per annum I’m on course to save a couple of grand this year over my old 60mpg diesel car. Of course this saving might be a bit less next year but I’ll have to wait and see.

I think what make of electric car you get can actually affect the rate you can get going forward.

https://octopus.energy/compare-ev-tariffs/

prettygreenparrot

Just wondering if it’s worth sticking with my outdated fossil fuel car for the moment

I’m not sure that an EV is really a money-saver given their prices. But most any EV is going to be more fun to drive than an ‘outdated fossil fuel car’. And it will definitely have lower emissions. And will have a lower carbon footprint over its lifetime.

Having said that, it seems it is still cheaper to fuel an EV even at today’s home electricity prices. Apparently I’ve charged 151kWh at a cost of £51 in the last month. The Tesla app says this has saved £55 over petrol at a UK price of £1.63/L. I’d go for between £30 and £50 saving.

RustyNissanPrairie

Plus saving on servicing cost – no oil changes or timing belt faff. No brainer – I’d love an EV but my mindset is firmly bangernomics.

molgrips
    Free Member

Still much cheaper to run if you have a cheap overnight tariff, and still a bit cheaper even if not.

We’re paying about 1.5p a mile in our EV versus 15p in the diesel, at best. So it’s at least a 90% saving on fuel cost.

My wife has a 13 mile commute so about 550 miles a month and it’s costing about a tenner. If we go and see my parents it’s 160 mile round trip and costs £2.50!

The purchase price is the issue of course still.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think what make of electric car you get can actually affect the rate you can get going forward.

Octopus super cheap tariff currently works with a few brands of car OR an Ohme smart charger. The range of supported cars and chargers will get bigger though. And you can still get cheap electricity without it, just not as cheap.

flyingpotatoes

My overnight charging tariff was 4p per unit but has gone up to 17p.

It’s still cheaper than an ice car but the initial cost of the electric car is what you need to think as they’re not cheap.

wbo
    Free Member

Cheaper to fuel, cheaper to service, cheaper parking locally , cheaper road tax….. running an older Nissan Leaf as a commuter is extremely low cost for me

surfer
    Free Member

Anyone worked out if it’s now more expensive to charge at home than it would be to use a petrol car ?

The correct answer is “it depends” for example I do very low mileage through the week and occasional longer trips to the hills or to London (200+ miles) every few weeks) I have PV and a home battery. For most of the year I could charge my car from solar, free. With occasional full charges at each end of the longer trips which would often be free to me. My typical weekly running costs would be provided free through any spare PV as the car would be plugged in almost all day.
    With careful planning running costs of an EV would be close to zero for me. For others with higher daily mileages it wouldnt. Really need to do the maths for each circumstance.

robola
    surfer
    Free Member

The purchase price is the issue of course still.

Yep and the reason we still have an ICE.

tthew

While electricity is expensive at the moment, so is the price of Dinojuice. £1.81/litre is about the cheapest non-supermarket Diesel near me, and it’s not a particularly pricey part of the country for fuel. That’s about 15.4p/mile at 55mpg for my van, £9.25 for my 60 mile commute.

Petrol is significantly cheaper at the moment, but depends what mileage you can get.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘EV car thread’ is closed to new replies.