• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Eurostar to the Alps?
  • flange
    Free Member

Anyone done the above? Can get to London easy enough, looked online and it looks pretty cheap. However what’s the deal with taking bikes? Taking my trail bike, can bag up in a crc bike bag, or just leave as is? Anyone done this and is it a ballache to do?

andytherocketeer

thought Eurostar direct to Alps was only during the ski season?

flange
    Free Member

Really? The route I selected meant a change in Paris but was running in June?

andytherocketeer

ah,

i looked at eurostar before. think anything larger than a normal suitcase has to go on a different carriage, but it’s only like a tenner or so for it to travel on the same train (or a tenner more than the drop it and it arrives within 24hrs).

it’s the TGV bit (or for me ICE) that was the issue.

there are bike bags sized specially to comply with TGV size rules.

flange
    Free Member

Blimey – sounds a bit like hard work. I’ve got a bike bag but it’s enormous so that’s out by the sound of it. Just can’t face driving or dragging a bike bag on the plane.

deft
    Free Member

I’ve done it (sans bike) – Eurostar then TGV to Chamonix. Required a jaunt across Paris to a different station, but then again I think you can wheel bikes on and off TGV with a booking. I’m pretty sure you can book whole bikes onto Eurostar too.

Ambrose

Where are you coming from/ going to? I may well have a spare place going to Portes du Soleil area in late July- August. Dates are flexible, locations also. I’m traveling from South Wales by car and will share costs evenly.

nickjb
    Free Member

Can’t see how dragging s bike across London then across Paris is easier than putting it on a plane. That said we drive, which works well with a few drivers.

flange
    Free Member

Ambrose – that’s a generous offer sir but there’s three of us going so a bit of a squeeze!

Will drop Eurostar a line tomorrow then and see what they say. Can’t face an easyjet flight and having driven it before it doesn’t appeal doing it again. Maybe I’m too picky…

boblo
    Free Member

Details for on seat61.com

Speeder

I’ve dragged a snowboard and wheely bag across Paris and that’s not fun. I can only imagine that a bike and kit would be even less so. While I understand your reluctance to fly or drive and that the train journey is actually quite pleasant, I wouldn’t say it was an easier option.

Usual rule would be if there’s 3 of you, drive.

wallop

Eurostar only runs a direct service in ski season. Summer trains require a change in(and massive hike across) Paris, IIRC.

DT78
    Free Member

Interested in this too, though I was thinking about taking the roadie for a short break so the bike bag would be alot smaller and lighter. Any security concerns for leaving it in another carriage? is it secured in any way?

jeff

Done this a long time ago – London to Bourg St Maurice sleeper train.

Train goes non-stop in the winter, but in summer Involves lugging bikes across Paris (we used the metro which was interesting) and locking bike bags up in a communal area while we slept in a sleeper carriage. Some dodgy types on the sleeper train and I’m pretty sure they drive as slowly as poss to make the trip last until morning.

It was an experience… but haven’t wanted to do it again!

Haze

More than one driver last time Flange?

Can understand your reluctance if you alone are driving, we did it last year with two sharing which was hard going at times but I’d do it again (it is the Alps after all).

3 sharing the driving should be loads easier?

Would also be interested in how all this works out cost wise (for any future solo trips).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Eurostar to the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.