Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • European riding destination
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

This has probably been done loads but thinking about getting a long weekend of riding somewhere in Europe next year. Where to go for convenient airport, endless singletrack in big mountains with stunning views, the odd lift to cut out the boring bits and good food smothered in melted cheese?

Would be good off self guided is an option, need to be a bit cost conscious and the recent thread on large mixed ability groups on guided hols has put me off a bit. Also I’d quite like to go somewhere a little out of ordinary.

What you got?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

When?  spring summer autumn?

hot_fiat

Malaga – base yourself in Benalmadena and use the Gondola?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Akers

Not self guided, but I’d recommend a long weekend in Molini di Triora with Riviera bike. 90% uplifted (we only did one 30 minute climb). Flights to Nice are pretty cheap and the transfer time is only around an hour and a bit.

jamiensorensen
    Free Member

Iceland is on my to do list. As is Madeira although less unusual, looks incredible and has hosted many a mtb event with obvious reason.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d recommend a long weekend in Molini di Triora

+1

And Sospel is near Nice too, not been myself yet but understand it’s set up for self-guiding.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I was thinking june or early july.

hot_fiat

Malaga might be too warm around then. Molini is a good call as the riding is in almost rain forest type terrain. I went years ago and it was a little haphazard, but have heard very good things since.

strike
    Free Member

Had the same ‘conundrum’ last month when trying to plan a long weekend of mtb…

Cheap flights – IME forget ‘cheap’ once you factor in the bike as even to the cheapest locations it was coming out around £350 return. Considering all factors it came out best for me in the end to drive and I rode Alsace/Black Forest for 3 days, with some bikeparks/lifts thrown in – the cost of the holiday was half of flying. Previously I was pricing up 3days of riding in Slovenia and with guided riding, flights, transfers etc it was coming out at £1100 minus food and lift passes.

Tracey

We have just altered our trip in a couple of weeks and instead of Zermatt and Finale will be travelling down through France and doing three days in Sospel and three in Sanremo before travelling along the cost to Finale.
    I have downloaded all the routes in Sospel and it looks amazing but apart from the Cool Bus cant find any uplifts or guiding. Cool bus is €225 for up to five, only 2 going so makes it expensive.
    I have also tried LifeCycle but got no response.
    Finale is easy for guides or uplifts. Got a couple of days with Finale Freeride guided and then will just use the campsite shuttle if its running for the rest of the trip.

gribble
    Free Member

This is not massively helpful of me, but if flying I would look to get a really short transfer time to the location, to maximize riding time. I did Heathrow to Geneva, Geneva to Verbier (train) last September and rode for two full days. (half day Friday, Sat all day and then half day Sunday). It all worked, we caught or train connections and met the guide; but I pushed my luck timing wise and it was a long few days.

I would also look at flying with airlines that include luggage; I got a very cheap off season (well, end Sept) deal on flights (with vouchers) and ended up flying two rtn to Geneva from London for £100, which included the bike bags (was so cheap we flew Business to get the free extra bag allowance each). Train part was more expensive.

I would be interested to see where you end up, as I want to treat my wife again in 2020.

nasher
    Free Member

@tracey drop us a line, we shuttle around sanremo/molini if you are having difficulties finding something

Tracey

Thanks ^^^, juggling everything around at the moment, plan B will be to throw the Turbo Levos in the van as well as the other bikes so that we can pedal to the trail heads and back in Sospel. Will get back to you next week if thats OK.
    Feel a bit guilty in going seeing that Uni have pulled the plug on Abigales last race of the season and going without her.

nickfrog
    Free Member

What about BPW?

big_scot_nanny

As I’ve been a few times this year, and the whole “Bike Hotel” thing with room, brekky and free lift pass is incredibly good value – Head for Davos – then you can also take in Lenzerhiede/Arosa, Klosters and St. Moritz.

Fly to Zurich, train to Davos. Job Jobbed.

A staggering amount of incredible singletrack just as you describe.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Finale. Genuinely one of the best places to ride.

Cheezpleez

Molini is great. Do that

nasher
    Free Member

@tracey I have british friends who live in Sospel and are regular ebkikers, they can show you some great rides..

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

We have a winner!

Flights to Zurich booked and accommodation in davos sorted.

So recommendations of must do trails to ride in davos, we have 3 days of riding there.

Can’t bloody wait!

mattkkitch

Went to Davos in August. We rode the Jakobshorn Treble, Alps Epic and spent one day in Lenzeheide which may not be an option if you’re on public transport.

The Treble as it suggests is three different descents from the same lift station. One has a small extra climb at the end thats not really worth the descent. I’d just shoot back to the lift and spend the saved time riding the bottom half of the manmade trail under the lift a few extra times.

https://maps.graubuenden.ch/mobile/en/tour/mountainbiking/jakobshorn-trilogie-e-mtb-tauglich-/27210470/

The Epic is incredible, not the most amazing trails but the best day out. 40km one way and a train back.

Third day there’s plenty on the opposite side of the valley and going over to Klosters which we didn’t have time for.

Check out some highlights. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jb2O0-5MPag&t=525s

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘European riding destination’ is closed to new replies.