Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • European destinations to cycle back from
  • convert

New Years Day so idle planning allowed…

Shed load of Air Miles points (then Avios, then BA executive club or some other bollocks) from Tesco points deal a million years ago. Looks like BA makes a good airline for carrying a bike and minimal kit as bike counts as your included hold luggage so goes for free.

A given a week or so in the summer suggest to me a location to fly to and ride home via a ferry. Daily speed/distance to be ‘challenging’ as a bit of a test drive to a transcontinental race kind of ride rather than a 4 panniers and steady plod kind of ride.

Thoughts at the moment include Bordeaux, Toulouse or Basel (or Zurich).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Budapest via Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, Netherlands… finally the ferry back to this island.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just go to Holland and ride for a week, it’s **** amazing being part of it, ye know, a country thats not completely dominated by the motor vehicle.

I love the place.

corroded
    Free Member

Bordeaux not a bad idea – the Velodyssee is pretty boring south of Bordeaux but there are lots of cycleways around the coast of Brittany that are fun and you could hop straight onto a ferry to Portsmouth from Cherbourg / Le Havre. Easy in a week. Would Turin be too ambitious for some Alps action?

convert

Would Turin be too ambitious for some Alps action?

That’s what I’d like to do admittedly and it is meant to be challenging…….(or Milan and keep the eurovelo theme as that is on the eurovelo 5 route)

Like the idea of Budapest too which would be a pretty serious challenge.

dogbone

Barcelona – Bilbao. Then ferry back.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Buda is a serious challenge, but you want a challenge don’t you?

You could always (like i did ) make sure you are not more than 50k form a train station “just in case”

Anyway.. post pics… 👍

ton

Biarritz.
    via the velodyssey route.

donald
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you plan it carefully then South East Europe riding ‘up’ the Danube would still be fairly flat and lot’s of cities to break up the journey.

Then only one watershed to cross to the Rhine or Seine.

convert

Thanks for that Donald – that’s basically the plan but carrying some bivvying kit and spending a bit more effort route planning to avoid bigger roads.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘European destinations to cycle back from’ is closed to new replies.