• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • European Breakdown cover ? Rescuemycar.com ???
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

At the mo we have 2 European trips planned (Easter for 7 days summer for a month)

Been looking on line – RAC & AA are v expensive

Trip 1 will be using 13yr old car
    Trip 2 will be 8ys old car

Here lays the problem most companies don’t like older cars
    Rescuemycar.com for the year is £130, spoke to them and they will change car over for summer trip (no admin charge)

Anyone used them ?? Recommend any companies ?

ajaj
    Free Member

We use LV Britannia Rescue. They cover the costs of breakdown on French motorways, which lots don’t. Car is 13 years old, I didn’t see an age limit on the policy.

Never claimed so can’t comment on the service.

pocpoc
    Free Member

We used vehicle rescue direct a couple of years ago.
    They cover cars up to 16 years old (ours was 13 at the time) and a 1 week trip cost us £22

Didn’t have to use it thankfully but reviews are positive.

Marko

Have a look at the Nationwide flex plus account. Joint account will cover 2 vehicles and you get travel insurance with the account. Insurance covers snow sports, but not MTB unless you have a guide (and you pay the extra cover for dangerous sports).

No age limit on vehicles that I know of.

£13 a month though.

Hth

phil5556

Another vote here for nationwide. Pretty sure it also includes mobile phone cover.

Haven’t tested them abroad yet but they picked me up in our camper when the caliper seized. No issues.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Used AA 5* once in France. They were brilliant. At home used More Than and they were poor. Reverted to AA and they were brilliant over the summer when I had a key crisis while on uk holiday.

paulx
    Free Member

I use these people – https://my.eta.co.uk/breakdown/personal/quote

This policy covers me and nominated family in any car up to 20 years old, Uk and mainland Europe.

It even covers cycle rescue – might be handy when the battery fails on the eBike!

ads678

Another vote fpr the nationwide flex plus account, but also what car do you have? Ford service gives you free european roadside assistance.

leegee

I use rescue my car, it was fine when I needed it. not used it abroad though.

I cracked a wheel last summer and the recovery truck was there within the hour. it’s £40 per call out though.

steveh

Whoever you decide to go with read the small print very carefully. If it only covers the charge to tow off the motorway then it’s not worth it – £100-150 for that doesn’t warrant the premium. What you need to cover is recovery home, help with repair costs etc.
    As an example I had an alternator fail driving home from the alps in luxembourg a couple of years ago. Recovery charge was 100 euros. Garage we were towed to (local one) wanted 1200 euros for the alternator and couldn’t do it for 2 days. Repair cost at home was £220. We got around it by buying a new battery, flat out to calais and then getting aa recovered home in uk with existing cover. I’ve not yet found a breakdown cover that would have done much to help, some would have paid for hotel for us for the night, some possibly even a car to drive to ferry in but that would still have left me with repair bill and having to go back for the van.

Northwind

The best thing to do when having a european break down, is to just keep on doing the exact same thing you were doing when you broke down.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haven’t tested them abroad yet but they picked me up in our camper

Want to check that. Wouldn’t recover my mate from France. They would only fly him home and pay him for the vehicle. They said the value of the vehicle did not warrant recovery and that they would pay for the vehicle instead. No option for anything else from them.

brassneck

I have a Nationwide current account now – 13 a month covers my 22 year old VW van.

Also, now insured through Flux Direct – under £200 annually also includes Euro breakdown (so I could spread claims if necessary, it seemed worth £30 of the cost).

IHN

Haven’t tested them abroad yet but they picked me up in our camper when the caliper seized. No issues.

Interestingly, last time I looked at the small print of the Nationwide cover (which was a couple of years ago), campers were excluded.

We get our breakdown cover from the RAC through the Co-Op current account.

andyl
    Free Member

We used whoever Autoaid recommend for European cover.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘European Breakdown cover ? Rescuemycar.com ???’ is closed to new replies.