Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • European adventure- 1 road cyclist and 1 mountain biker
  • edella
    Free Member

Hi, me and my boyfriend are planning a 1 month road trip to Europe this August. We are driving over in the van and taking the ferry to France- he’s taking a mountain bike and I’m taking my road bike. Currently looking at destinations which will keep us both entertained. Heard great things about Morzine, Alpe D’Hues and Bourg D’Osians, also thinking of heading to Andorra. Also heard that Tignes and Chamonix are great stops, but I am not sure about road cycling around there.

If anyone has any other suggestions, including or not including the Alps, that would be great!

Thanks so much X

Bez

Probably depends what sort of mountain biking he’s after. If it’s downhilling with lifts then you’re largely looking at the Alps; if he’s looking for big descents but is happy to ride up then the Pyrenees are a more viable option; if he’s looking for technical XC with or without big climbs then France is your oyster, there’s a wonderful variety of road and MTB riding in pretty much the whole of the southern half, and some of the north as well.

Personally I much prefer the quiet bits of the south west to the Alps—they have more variety of riding and scenery to my mind, not to mention fewer tourists and no tatty ski villages—but that’s just me.

sheck

Bourg St Maurice has some options

Tignes/Les Arcs for reputedly great MTB. Les Arcs is also a great road climb (as is La plagne nearby)

There are plenty of other fab climbs, albeit a few out and backs (making loops creates monstrously big days) but the views are worth it on L’Iseran and Cormet de Roselend. You’re also not far from La Madeleine and Val Thorens (final climb of the final stage of this year’s tour)

bikenski
    Free Member

For lift access: I’d go Bourg st Maurice(Les Arcs/Tignes) or Les Deux Alpes. Or, if you’re happy with hot weather (not too much hotter than the high Alps, just hotter at night and harder to get up high) head to alpes maritimes (Sospel/Breil-sur-Roya/Peille) for some classic road biking climbs and loads of mountain biking – van uplifts available if required.

Chamonix isn’t great for road biking – the mountains are too steep so you either need to go up the valley or down the valley (or drive in the car for 20-30 mins).

richardkennerley

Lake Garda

regenesis
    Free Member

As above – Bourg/Les Arcs
    Enough there to do your entire month as already said on your other thread.

NZCol

Morzine for a bit, plenty to keep both occupied

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘European adventure- 1 road cyclist and 1 mountain biker’ is closed to new replies.