Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Europe driving car insurance
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Hi, whats best and how to get europe (french alps 😉 ) car breakdown cover ? I just have a basic “rescue” package at the moment.

Cheers

fazzini

Most of the breakdown companies do a standalone EU cover which can be purchased for short periods e.g. 7 or 14 days. It would be worth asking your current provider how much to upgrade your own cover, but be aware if it’s though your car insurer, or not, it may be cheaper to buy an additional cover rather than upgrade.

But beware… policy wording varies form company to company and is very specific.. lots of threads on forums about ‘nightmares’ and large expense bills as cover not doing what it purports to do. E.g.
    http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?15574-European-Cover-Concern&p=90832#post90832

Also, just make sure you have the right cover on your car insurance too.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Just found greenflag single travel for £30 breakdown. I think this is all i need (which i hope im not gonna need)

swampi
    Free Member

2nd greenflag, used them for last 4 years,by far the cheapest and good cover

wallop

I didn’t bother last year. IIRC most of the policies only provided a tow to a garage so I took the risk. I can see why some would want more peace of mind though.

br
    Free Member

I didn’t bother last year. IIRC most of the policies only provided a tow to a garage so I took the risk. I can see why some would want more peace of mind though.

Do you know the cost of been towed off a M-Way/Autoroute/AutoBahn etc?

wallop

No, but I have read somewhere before that the likes of AA/Green Flag etc can’t get you on the motorway anyway because they are private roads.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Read the policy details.

Most won’t cover 10 year plus vehicles.
    Most recovery is value based so return to UK is unlikely on an older car.
    Apart from that shop around but make sure you know what you are paying for and getting. Even year to year policies change.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And wallop the aa and green flag don’t come and get you it’s subcontracted to locals

wolfenstein
    Free Member

..so bottomline is..worth getting one right? 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have but not used it. Same as anything peace of mind and a gamble. Just read the t&c though. Happier to not have to.worry really.

wallop

At £30 it’s worth it but the quotes I was getting last summer were all £70+.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Hi wallop, what sort of cover it gives you for the £70. .. Or is it just more expensive on the summer?

superfli
    Free Member

Scrap your existing UK cover and get ADAC next time. Its European, so covers you for (western) Europe. That of course covers UK. 80 euro and its personal cover, so whatever car/mbike you are using.
    Note: If you do have an old/low value vehicle then they wont transfer it home (UK) though.

wallop

Hi wallop, what sort of cover it gives you for the £70. .. Or is it just more expensive on the summer?

I’m sorry to say I can’t remember!

bland

I found AXA best last summer, think it was £26 for 8 to 13 days

AXA Euro Breakdown

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Second ADAC. superb cover and a reasonable price.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Europe driving car insurance’ is closed to new replies.