Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Eurocamp anyone used them before ?
  • Premier Icon renton
    Free Member

We are considering a family holiday to the south of France and was looking at the eurocamp parks.

Have any of you done this before and if so can you give me any pros and cons to it compared to say a hotel holiday in Zante.

We would think about driving down to.

Any parks you can recommend would be great.

Cheers

Steve

Premier Icon nealglover

Last used them in 1979 and it was awesome.

Not very useful to you, but you’ve brought back some great memories !

(I was 7 years old)

Premier Icon loddrik
    Free Member

Yes. And we are going again this year to the south of France. La Baume in Frejus. Brilliant. Kids prefer being on a busy campsite with LOADS of swimming pools than being in a hotel. We’ve been there before and it was one of the best holidays we’ve ever had. Kids are currently beside themselves with excitement.

Check out the La Baume campsite it’s great fun.

Premier Icon jon1973
    Free Member

We’ve been for the last 5 years. In fact we’re heading off on our way down to the Dordogne tomorrow. We going to Le Paradis, which has some very good reviews on Trip Advisor.

http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/dordogne/dr017-le-paradis/ataglance.html

No kids so driving for long periods of time isn’t an issue for us, but driving in France is pretty stress free. I think it’s about 8 or 9 hours down to the Dordogne from Calais, so we camp on the way down and on the way back – make a bit of a holiday of the Journey as well. Two week holiday, with a week in the middle at Eurocamp.

If you go for a static van, go for one with some decking, so you have an outdoor space.

Eurocamp tents are well equipped and spacious, but no toilet or shower, so you have to walk to the toilet block, which can be a bit of a pain.

We’ve had holidays in Gites and cottages in France, but we always end up going back to Eurocamp. I prefer France to Greece.

Premier Icon IanW
    Free Member

Good blankets, bring a couple home.

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Free Member

We’ve had lots of Eurocamp holidays in the past, all have been great holidays.

Not as cheap as they were but always good all the same.

Also look at Key Camp ( buyout U think they are the same now) Thompson Alfresco as well and direct with a camp site like Catelles , castellated sites being really rather nice in our experience.

Premier Icon jon1973
    Free Member

We’re stopping here on our way down to Europcamp

http://france.huttopia.com/en/destination/camp/huttopia-senonches/site

They have places in various different places in France, and do some really nice accommodation, which is worth a look. I think we may look at a longer stay at one of these parks next year.

Premier Icon Jason
    Free Member

We did it a couple of years ago. Channel tunnel crossing at about 10pm, then pretty much none stop driving south until the kids woke up. Once they were awake we stopped every hour or so. Got to the Med at around lunchtime. The French roads are clearer than the UK, so driving is a bit easier.

We booked direct with Yelloh, they own alot of the parks and then rent the pitches to companies like Eurocamp. From what we saw the Yelloh owned pitches are better than the ones they sell to other companies. On the south coast we stayed at Serigan Plage, in a really nice beach front chalet. We were there early June and the accomdation prices were pretty good, I think we payed £50 or so a night for a chalet, in the summer holidays it is really expensive, from memory £300 a night.

On the way back we broke up the journey by stopping in one of the Yelloh sites in the Loire Valley for a few nights.

A different sort of holiday to a package tour style holiday, it felt a bot more like a family adventure. One advantage was we could take bikes with us.

Premier Icon renton
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Did you take your own cars down or did you hire ? Only reason I ask is that we have a petrol Smax which isn’t that good on fuel !!

If I take my car do I need to do anything or carry anything for driving on the continent?

Premier Icon tinribz
    Free Member

Did a site in the South of France few years back, might have been keycamp but all the same now. Fantastic weather and beach. Site was OK but big and a bit crampt. Walking distance to beach and town though.

Was cheaper to Easyjet to Montpelier and hire a car than ferry it. Always plenty to keep the kids occupied, if they are the right age.

Domaine de la Yole

Premier Icon wobbliscott

We’re doing Keycamp (same company now) for the first time this year after three sets of friends of ours recommending to us who have been going every rear for years. Definitely not cheap, though we’re ‘glamping’ in a static van rather than under canvas, but on par with a decent family hol to the med. Really looking forward to it.

Premier Icon renton
    Free Member

Blimey the toll fees are a bit much !

Premier Icon loddrik
    Free Member

Car. And driving again this year too. Through the night as hopeful kids and wife will sleep.

You need a GB sticker.

Premier Icon jruk
    Free Member

We almost booked through Eurocamp (in Frejus) then found the camp directly and saved best part of £400. We were going to drive but decided to fly and hire a car – it’s only 1.05 from Bristol to Nice.

Premier Icon IanW
    Free Member

Last time I went any distance we has a tag thing that got you through the tolls, handy but took the fun out of making the passenger reach.

You don’t end anything special to drive in France just remember to leave the anger and impatience back in the UK.

Premier Icon northernmatt
    Free Member

We are planning on doing the same this year but probably taking a little while to get there as the missus wants to visit loads of places on the way down.

Premier Icon Jason
    Free Member

We drove down in our own car, at the time that was a 1 year old diesel Passat Estate, so a pretty good motorway cruiser, with loads of space. We also had a small roof box and three bikes on top. MPG was a bit lower than normal, and the tolls did add up, but it didn’t seem too bad. Once we got to the south coast we didn’t see many other GB cars. If you have GB on your number plate there is no need for any other sticker. I think you need hi-viz vests in the car for all passengers. You probably need spare bulbs too.

One of the high lights of the journey for me was stopping at the Millau viaduct. Low light was not trusting the sat nav and taking a ‘short cut’ in Paris that involved driving through Parisian back streets at 2am on a Saturday morning…

Premier Icon mitsumonkey
    Free Member

You need high vis vest for the driver, breathalyser test kit, warning triangle, spare bulbs, fire extinguisher, first aid kit and headlamp converters. Also your driving licence and insurance.
    I didn’t take all of that but I don’t really speed so figured I probably wouldn’t get pulled over.
    As people have already said driving in France is a world away from the roads here, the toll roads are worth the money too in my opinion.

Premier Icon mugsys_m8

No need for extinguisher. Most important thing to have is probably the breatherlisers and they have been known to do spot checks. It came in about 2 years ago. Also most people don’t realise you should have your car papers I.e. logbook with you. Some garages will not do any work without them. Part of the reason I have gained a man bag since living here to carry car papers and chequebook…..

Premier Icon mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Ah I forgot to mention the log book.
    😳

Premier Icon Monster101

Spent 3 years at le vueix port (messanges) just north of Biarritz, 7 pools, flumes, private beach, pine forest. Great surfing, biking canoeing and only an hour from the Pyrenees with White water rafting and more aggressive riding. Eurocamp were great.

Pischera del garda last year, again fantastic.

Just pick your lodge (caravan with a pitched roof) carefully.

Not a drunken British person to be seen at both places which is a refreshing change from Spain, Greece, Turkey etc.

My 12 year old son’s eyes were popping out of his head with the quality of the young girls lol….. Most of these places do the euro type foam parties kids all had a ball

Premier Icon Cougar

We’re stopping here on our way down to Europcamp

When? Only, that’s where I’ll be at the end of the month.

Premier Icon BillMC

I used to take my kids for a month in Eurocamp, Messange. Big site but feels small when you’re there. Lots of activities put on for young kids and the older kids form friendly gangs. SW France was good for surfing and cycling through the pine forests (saw a wild boar there). Get a tent not a static as in tents you are more public and meet more people plus the air is fresher. Driving through France is no problem, I once managed Northampton to the Pyrenees in a day, but the toll charges are a tad steep. I’d recommend Eurocamp type holidays very highly.

Premier Icon Cougar

You need a GB sticker.

You need high vis vest for the driver, breathalyser test kit, warning triangle, spare bulbs, fire extinguisher, first aid kit and headlamp converters. Also your driving licence and insurance.

Most important thing to have is probably the breatherlisers and they have been known to do spot checks. It came in about 2 years ago

most people don’t realise you should have your car papers I.e. logbook with you

You don’t need most of that.

You only need a GB sticker if your registration plate is the old style without the country of origin strip down the left-hand side.

The breathalyser law is out-dated information, the (€11) fine for not carrying a breathalyser was suspended indefinitely at the start of the year. There’s no reason to carry them any more.

Spare bulbs are legally required for some EU countries, but not France. There’s no legal requirements for fire extinguishers or first aid kits, though carrying such things may be sensible. Personally, I always make sure I have a couple of plasters just in case I have a head-on collision at 60mph.

Hi-vis jackets must be carried in the car and reachable from the driver’s seat; you have to be able to don it before leaving the vehicle. A warning triangle must be carried also.

There is no legal requirement to carry paperwork (insurance etc). However, I’d suggest that it’s a very good idea nonetheless just to avoid faff.

You’re supposed to block / deflect your headlights for driving on the right. Given my Hyundai’s headlights are about as effective as a bloke running in front of the car holding a couple of candles, I don’t think I’m going to bother.

One thing no-one’s mentioned yet is it’s illegal to have any sort of speed trap detector in France. If your sat-nav has speed camera POIs installed then you need to at least disable them and ideally remove them. I’m led to believe that they’re really hot on enforcing this.

Premier Icon Mostly Balanced
    Free Member

We’ve been with Canvas Holidays and Keycamp and found that the British companies seemed to have been last in line when the pitches were allocated. Our Keycamp static backed on to the sewage plant and was very cramped. Otherwise all good experiences.

Premier Icon jon1973
    Free Member

[Quote]When? Only, that’s where I’ll be at the end of the month.[/quote]

after a long drive we’re sitting outside the tent now on our second bottle of wine.

Fantastic place. Here for four nights. Looking forward to exploring the park.

Premier Icon Cougar

Cods, you’ll be leaving a couple of days before we get there. Bury me a geocache or something.

Premier Icon jon1973
    Free Member

Are you taking your own tent? We’re in the forest area. Leave the car in the car park and basically pitch anywhere you want. If I knew what a geocache was I’d leave you one. I’ll google that in a minute.

if you’re coming through Rouen there are some diversions. We went around in circles for a while. Apart from that a clear run all the way from calais.

Fantastic place though. Going to take a dip in the natural pool tomorrow.

Premier Icon Edukator
    Free Member

There is no legal requirement to carry paperwork (insurance etc). However, I’d suggest that it’s a very good idea nonetheless just to avoid faff.

There is. Legally you have to present a driving license and vehicle registration document on the spot or pay an immediate fine, in reality the gendarmes usually give you the same five days as for the other obligatory documents, but this is entirely at their discretion. The other obligatory documents being insurance and MOT. French cars have to have stickers for these but other people just have to present the papers.

It’s in Germany (and others I can’t remember, Belgium I think) that the extinguisher and first aid kit are obligatory. You have to be able to fix a bulb immediately which is a joke as the workshop time for a Renault Modus is about two hours. In reality you won’t get fined for not having bulbs unless you have a light out and can’t fix it, and even then they’ll probably just tell you to get it fixed – if you don’t fix it you will get fined the next time they pull you up.

Premier Icon Cougar

Legally you have to present a driving license and vehicle registration document on the spot or pay an immediate fine, in reality the gendarmes usually give you the same five days as for the other obligatory documents, but this is entirely at their discretion. The other obligatory documents being insurance and MOT.

They’ll have a job, I’m driving a two year old lease vehicle. I don’t have the registration document as it’s not mine, and it’s never had an MOT.

Premier Icon Edukator
    Free Member

Nul n’est censé ignorer la loi … you now know what the law is, it’s up to you whether you respect it or not. It doesn’t matter whose name the vehicle is registered in but you do need the document. People used to register cars in the name of a child to avoid fines, I’m not sure if that still works. Obviously you only need an MOT if the car is old enough to need one in the EU country it’s registered in.

Premier Icon jota180
    Free Member

When I had a company lease car, they used to give me a letter every year with the car’s details and permission to take it abroad.
    You get the same from hire companies etc. a VE 103B certificate

Premier Icon Cougar

Good point; I’ve got that, had to speak to the lease co for it.

So, ‘s all good.

Premier Icon Scapegoat

Siblu are another option. We did French campsites for 12 years with the kids, from Brittany to the Midi. Initially we stuck with French Life or Camping Life, as they were a bit cheaper than Eurocamp. Don’t worry about snobbery, virtually all the big sites have franchised sections with all the camping companies, and the one thing missing from French campsites is the genus Tattoed **** Inebrius Brittanicus. Note though that the further south you go, the fewer English families you’ll find. We didn’t think that mattered until we found a site where our teenage daughter was without any form of companionship throughout the fortnight, and that is one thing that botht the kids enjoyed on every other site we ever stayed at.

If you’re going due South use the Chunnel or Dover and depending on timing break the journey at a Formel Une or similar motel. Take the car. We always took loads of big toys… Bikes and surfboards if we were going to the west coast, and bikes and snorkelling for the med.

Premier Icon Edukator
    Free Member

the one thing missing from French campsites is the genus Tattoed **** Inebrius Brittanicus

Having worked on a few I can assure you they get almost everywhere, albeit in smaller numbers than on the costas. On one occasion I carried one of the species back to his tent, well two of us did as they’re quite heavy. When we arrived the female mate put on a spectacular display and requested we dump him outside another tent where he had been found mating with another female earlier.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Eurocamp anyone used them before ?’ is closed to new replies.