Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Euro cylinder lock with multi point locks – wont lock when handle pulled up…
  • SiB
    Free Member

Attempting, and failing, to fix my mums UPVC door lock, all looked very easy on youtube but stumbled at first hurdle, a hurdle I that I’m not sure actually needs hurdling!
    -UPVC door with multi lock points and cylinder lock
    -when door not engaged and handle pulled up all the lock points come out/slide up and key turns to lock
    -when door is closed and handle pulled up all the lock points engage but key will not turn to lock

I have tried to remove cylinder lock but it will just not slide out (have removed several before – remove screw, loosen off handles, turn key and wiggle method!).

I’m assuming that I do actually have to remove cylinder lock…?

Any top tips on getting door to lock appreciated, thanks

hammyuk
    Free Member

You won’t get the cylinder out without the key in it – they are “handed” and the lever is offset to one side preventing it coming out without the key allowing it to turn slightly to centralise the lever.
    It won’t be locking because one of the points isn’t moving into its locked position fully.
    Easiest (although a pain) way is to mark every point with a marker where they are now.
    Then loosen them all off either fully or “slightly (the door frame side where the keeper adjusters are) and then close and lock the door.
    If you’ve only done it slightly then the lever will have moved the receivers into the perfect position.
    If you’ve loosened them all off then put each one back one at a time until you find the one that stops it locking.
    This one you then release slightly allowing it to be in a position where the door locks.

Simplez.

GrahamS

Ours needs you to lean on the door and give the handle an extra little push up before it will lock. It has done that from new.

Hateful things. Don’t like them at all. They might add some security, but they also add danger in a fire.

I’d rather have a nice looking old-fashioned mortice lock, but it wasn’t an option when getting a new door fitted.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

As Graham says, the handle’s not all the way up. Pull door and pull handle up more. On our front door, the last little bit is barely perceptible, only a few mm, but it’s enough to stop the lock from turning.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ours needs you to lean on the door and give the handle an extra little push up before it will lock. It has done that from new.

i trust you let the fitter know and he has tried his best to adjust it ……plenty adjustment on this type of door.

ninfan
    Free Member

A good spray of gt85 into the mechanism cured no end of problems with ours.

SiB
    Free Member

HammyUK –

You won’t get the cylinder out without the key in it

I am trying with the key in it, the screw that holds cylinder in it is removed, door handles loosened and key turned slightly and a lot of wiggling to slide it out…….unsuccessfully!

It won’t be locking because one of the points isn’t moving into its locked position fully.

When door is closed and handled pulled all the locks ‘appear’ to go in to position as door is firmly closed and will not pull open, just cannot lock it in that position as key will not turn……

I will give a go marking them all (I’m assuming you mean the the receivers in the door frame?) and loosening them off to see if that works but in the meantime any more tips……??

molgrips
    Free Member

When door is closed and handled pulled all the locks ‘appear’ to go in to position

They appear to.. but it doens’t take much to stop it from locking.

SiB
    Free Member

the handle does go up in two stages, the second stage barely noticeable but it does definitely go up twice………..doesn’t lock in either position

GT85 – mum (her door) has already sprayed it on the mech, lots of evidence of it when I removed handles!!

flatfish
    Free Member

Nothing to add.
    Tagging this to read the outcome.

hammyuk
    Free Member

“Appears” is no good as you can’t actually see the locks bars moving into position as they’re in the doorfame.
    It won’t pull open as they are going into the doorframe!

Yes – I mean the receivers in the frame.
    Draw round them with a sharpie so you know where they are now.
    Loosen them just enough so they move under force.
    Close door
    Lock door
    Unlock door
    Look where receivers are now.
    You’ll see which one was wrong.

You shouldn’t need to remove the lock at all but the best way is the key will need around a 1/4 turn to line up the lever. It should be on the hinge side(so you turn the key towards the hinges) BUT if they’ve fitted an offset cylinder then it might not be.
    Also you have taken the correct screw out haven’t you?

SiB
    Free Member

HammyUK….’appear’ has got me out of some predicaments in the past but it wont do for this door, will mark up later (although yesterday I did give the receivers a touch and wiggle to see if they were loose but they weren’t so I’m assuming that they haven’t moved)

Another possibility is that door might have dropped a mm resulting in locking mechs still engaging but dead lock not…I will investigate.

Never worked on a upvc door before, I prefer wood!!

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

This sounds daft but she hasn’t mixed her keys up, has she? This could explain why you can’t turn the key to remove the barrel. 😳

Those doors can sag (particularly double ones) they also have an adjustable keep which can get knocked out of alignment – both of these issues can stop the key from turning when the door is closed.

SiB
    Free Member

Not that daft a question but it was definitely the correct key plus the deadlock was moving freely when door open and key turned.

Only a single door……….but please tell me more about this adjustable keep!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Keeper = receiver.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We removed the slotty/locky-inny things one at a time to see which one was stopping it locking. When we found the culprit, we just left it off!

Cougar

I’m no expert but logically, why are you trying to take out the lock? It’s surely not a lock problem, it locks fine with the door open. It’s the multi-point bits not multi-pointing far enough.

project
    Free Member

Rub all the hooks with a bit of crayon darker colour the better to see it and try locking door and look for where crayon has worn off, if it s in line with the recievers etc, do the hooks look bent, usually caused when door slams, put key in lock and move key slightly off centre eg 90 degrees upright to slightly left or right and try gently pulling or pushing cylinder out or in, keep key in lock cylinder. Try applying force to door top and bottom faces while gently lifting handle.Ensure door fits flush to frame.

allthepies
    Free Member

If it’s a bog standard euro cylinder lock then bin it and buy a “secure” one.

Takes a thief about 30 seconds to gain entry with a euro cylinder lock, my house got done over via this route.

Now have Avocet ABS locks fitted.

SiB
    Free Member

Update –

Cougar…cylinder was removed because thats what youtube told me to do! With hindsight i now realise that it was unnecessary although in my defence the deadlock appeared to be the problem when I first looked at problem, briefly!

There was no chance the keepers had moved – adjusting screws and holding screws all very firm. And I hear what you’re saying about not knowing if all lined up correctly but it just felt right when closed and handle lifted as if all locks engaged. When in this position the deadlock turned very slightly, just enough to prevent handle only opening the door, it definitely wasn’t secure enough.

So, I’ve just returned after a successful door lock fixing job……ensured dead lock lined up with keeper, it did. Sprayed some GT85 on deadlock, lifted handle ensuring the second ‘click’ could be heard (a mm or so extra upwards on the handle from its normal up position), hey presto, door locked….and unlocked….and locked…..and unlocked………but as far as my mum knows I’ve had door off hinges realigning it!!

Thanks for all your advice, I’ll know what to do next time if the keepers do eventually move, sorry it was such a basic remedy, not helpful to anybody really!

GrahamS

Good news! I’ll book you in to come round and fix mine 😀

singlesman
    Free Member

Glad you got it working but if you’re having to force the handle up before it locks then probably still not right.
    Should be infinitely adjustable via the hinges, usually allen bolts under plastic caps, unless it’s a very old door in which case you can pack the glass or composite panel diagonally across from the hinge side to pick it back up.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Euro cylinder lock with multi point locks – wont lock when handle pulled up…’ is closed to new replies.