Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • EU warranty – 2 years?
  • TheFlyingOx

An I right in thinking that, until 31st Jan at least, UK customers have a no-quibble 2-year guarantee on faulty goods? If so, can dinner point me in the direction of the applicable bit of legislation? Dishwasher has packed in after 20 months and supplier are claiming it’s tough titties because their guarantee is only 1 year.

Many thanks.

escrs
    Free Member

Under the consumer rights law any item bought has to last a reasonable amount of time, no matter what the manufacturer warranty is

For example large electrical items like TV’s washing machines etc… are around 6 years

We had this with Argos a few years ago with a faulty TV just out of warranty

We had to get an independent repair quote and if it was cost effective then Argos had to help towards the repair

If the repair was not cost effective or just not possible then they had to issue us a refund minus the amount of time we had used the TV

So for example our TV cost £600, we had 2 years use before it broke, so Argos divided the price by 6 years and refunded us the amount for the unused years i.e £400

From my understanding the EU warranty is 2 years and every member state is meant to adopt it, what retailer are you having issues with?

TheFlyingOx

Appliances Direct. Again.

Currently in a different Consumer Rights Act battle with them over an expensive Samsung washing machine that died after 3 years and for which we have an engineer’s report saying it was either assembled incorrectly or the materials used during assembly were faulty. They say it’s not their problem, the shitehawks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    escrs
    Free Member

Time to involve an ombudsman who can look at your case and deal with the retailer

More info here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/how-to-use-an-ombudsman-in-england/

As they sold you the appliance it is their problem and they are trying to fob you off

Get a ombudsman involved and hopefully they will get it sorted asap

Cougar

You’re correct about the EU ruling, but the CRA encompasses and surpasses it. You could chance your arm with it, but you shouldn’t have to.

Under the consumer rights law any item bought has to last a reasonable amount of time, no matter what the manufacturer warranty is

For example large electrical items like TV’s washing machines etc… are around 6 years

This isn’t quite right. Rather, you have up to six years to make a claim, it comes down to “reasonable” as you say. It’d be reasonable to expect a £1,000 washing machine to last 6 years, a £100 machine not so much. I’d argue that a dishwasher failing after 20 months isn’t “of reasonable quality.”

I’ve had a 100% success rate over the years with the phrase, “just so we’re clear, can you confirm that you are refusing to honour my statutory rights?”

we have an engineer’s report saying it was either assembled incorrectly or the materials used during assembly were faulty.

You’re on solid ground here. The CRA states that after 6 months it’s the consumer’s responsibility to prove that the fault was inherent at the time of purchase (if this is the angle you’re pursuing). You’ve done exactly that, they don’t have a leg to stand on.

Cougar

One other thing – it’s the supplier’s legal responsibility to resolve this, but the manufacturer might offer a warranty beyond the typical 12 months. It’s worth checking.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘EU warranty – 2 years?’ is closed to new replies.