Viewing 40 posts - 35,721 through 35,760 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • GrahamS

More responses to James and Dennis saying they (and everyone they know) voted Leave to get rid of EU nationals:

dissonance

And the latest irrelevant story is our Foreign Secretary lying to the Poles

Thats unfair after all he might not be lying to them. Instead he might have been lying to parliament an hour or so earlier when he said something contradictory.
    Or given the mess the government are in he might have just change government strategy on the fly in that time.

thecaptain
    Free Member

The only way he isn’t lying is if he realises that brexit will collapse and the status quo ante will prevail 🙂

But I’ve not seen anything to support such a level of awareness.

binners

Those newspaper comments, as well as all the vox pops they do on the news, just confirm the overwhelming impression that every single person who voted for Brexit, while maybe not necessarily a racist, is definitely absolutely and completely mental!

I’ve taken Morriseys advice of late, and sort of switched off to the news now, as its universally terrible, and instead I’ve joined Hurty in cackling into the abyss instead. Seeing as we’re being led down to the road to disaster by people who are clearly completely unhinged, who couldn’t give a flying **** about impending catastrophe, might as well enjoy the ride, eh?….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL_-GwbEP4g[/video]

igm

If Brexit teaches us anything, it’s look out for yourself and the devil take the other guy. That’s the entire Brexy ideology in one easy bite.
    Anyone disagree?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anyone disagree?

Well obviously since your hypotheses is – to use a technical term – arsenal about tit.

What Brexit has shown us is that minority elites will try to ride roughshod over the wishes of the majority (of voters) in order to protect their minority interests

igm

That’s entirely in line with my hypothesis THM.

Minority elites can also say the devil take the other guy.

You remember too of course the good people of Hartlepool I think it was glorying in GDP losses because it would hurt the rich but they had nothing to lose?

Brexit has taught us all* not to care about the
    other guy.

* there will be the odd exception to prove the rule

Lifer
    Free Member

Not the majority of voters, the small majority of people who voted.

GrahamS

What Brexit has shown us is that minority elites will try to ride roughshod over the wishes of the majority (of voters) in order to protect their minority interests

Not sure it’s particularly about protecting their “minority interests”.

The political elite in this country are used to the more paternal role that our representative democracy expects of them. They are used to taking decisions on behalf of the voters and doing what they believe is best for the country.

So it’s probably a bit of a shock to the system when the “children” rebel and say they want something the majority of government, including opposition parties and civil service, were pretty certain was not in the best interests of the country.

I guess a “parent” has two options there: enforce their will to protect the child even if it makes them unpopular, or decide the child needs to be free to make their own mistakes.

SamB
    Free Member

We are so **** 😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

minority elites will try to ride roughshod over the wishes of the majority

Discussion =so fo Brexit in terms of elites is stupid

On one side the IMF, all the major political parties on the other side, all the press and Boris,Gove and Farage

you could easily, if you wanted to be childish and dishonest, characterise just one side as the “elite”.

I rather feel it shows that influential minorities – the press in the main and folk like Aaron banks – are able to manipulate the process to serve their ends by getting the majority to vote for self harm, propped up by outright lies. Its not the sort of thing I wish to defend as an beautiful example of democracy in action

GrahamS

David Davis tells a parliamentary committee that Mrs May and the rest of the cabinet have not read the Whitehall reports on the impact of Brexit. Apparently they’ve only read the summaries.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-theresa-may-brexit-reports-not-read-secret-detail-uk-economy-impact-leave-eu-a8022946.html#commentsDiv

Wouldn’t want to get bogged down in any detail eh? Not like it is important or anything. 😯

zokes
    Free Member

That’s pretty dumb, even from you

mrmo
    Free Member

Also shown that a bunch of minority elites will never waste an opportunity to shaft the population at large, whip up xenophobia and racism, lie, extort etc.

Obviously CA, wikileaks, breitbart, putin, etc can’t have been tampering with the election because we are British and we do the best elections in the world…

tjagain

The British government’s attempt to lobby individual EU leaders in the run-up to the recent crunch EU summit, where member states were to judge the progress of the negotiations, actively damaged Theresa May’s hopes of a better outcome, the Guardian has learned.

A secret plan had been drawn up under which the EU leaders would have made the surprise and highly symbolic move of stating in their conclusions on the day of the European council meeting that they would take into account Britain’s positions as they announced their intention to scope out their ideas on a post-Brexit transition period and trading relationship.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/29/uks-pre-summit-push-to-divide-and-rule-eu-27-impeded-brexit-talks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Source and your thoughts TJ?

tjagain

I added the source. Its just more predictable incompetence from Maybot and the 3 amigos. Everything they do turns to shite

igm

3 Brexmigos please TJ

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Anybody think the negotiations will go the distance without the UK being caught blackmailing/bunging/smashing up the negotiating rules?

mrmo
    Free Member

So how many of the brexiteers are amongst the 40 being hinted at of sexual misconduct.

And will May really fire anyone with her majority as it is? DUP funding falling apart, NI direct rule approaching, More chaos and apparently they are meant to be negotiating this thing called Brexit???

GrahamS

The Brexit department has refused to release key details about the 58 secret studies into how leaving the EU will impact the economy, saying officials need to make policy in a “safe space”.

Seema Malhotra, a Labour MP on the Brexit committee, had asked to know the scope, terms of reference and state of completion of the work on 58 sectors of the economy, but the department refused to release the details under freedom of information laws.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/30/government-refuses-to-release-details-of-studies-into-economic-impact-of-brexit

Yay democracy! #takingbackcontrol 😐

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s pretty dumb, even from you

Why thank you Zokes. I was always taught that it’s important to tailor your message appropriately for a given audience. I am glad i succeeded there. It’s a pleasure BTW.

😀

BoardinBob
    thecaptain
    Free Member

#projectfear. It’s all sunlit uplands, just you wait and see.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Bank of England believes that up to 75,000 jobs could be lost in financial services following Britain’s departure from the European Union.
    I understand senior figures at the Bank are using the number as a “reasonable scenario”, particularly if there is no specific UK-EU financial services deal.

I believe the coke and hookers industry is also forecasting a rough few years.

kimbers

Wow David Davis admitting that EU will get the better of the UK in the withdrawal deal !

Seeing is up for hard Brexit? Or just being uncharacteristically honest

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Time to get the bus repainted….
    Though it’s missing the costs of leaving a little with the FT saying about 5,000 more border workers are needed.

tjagain

Davies admits to half a billion pounds spent of brexit already – I have counted over a billion budgeted for by various depts

tjagain

British households are each more than £600 a year worse off following the vote to leave the European Union, according to one of the UK’s leading economic forecasting bodies.

The National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) said it is “almost certain” the leave vote has damaged living standards and hit the growth potential of the economy. The thinktank also scaled back its expectations for growth in the UK for the next three years.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/01/brexit-vote-cost-niesr-economic-growth

thecaptain
    Free Member

A billion here, a billion there, soon we’re talking about serious money.

TBF if brexit could happen and be reasonably successful then a billion here or there in the arrangement would be no big deal. The real problem is that brexit is an insoluble nightmare with no way forwards. Either those in charge of it still haven’t realised that yet, or they have and prefer to kick the can endlessly down the road in the hope that something turns up or it becomes someone else’s problem.

Neither of these alternatives is very palatable IMO.

kimbers

Either those in charge of it still haven’t realised that yet, or they have and prefer to kick the can endlessly down the road in the hope that something turns up or it becomes someone else’s problem.

Oh they know, why do you think those 58 resorts are being suppressed

mefty
    Free Member

Oh they know, why do you think those 58 resorts are being suppressed

Because the Germans stole the towels.

binners

Brexit is going to be an unmitigated disaster for the vast majority of us, but not all. As with the banking crisis, some will do very nicely out of it. Since that debacle, the rich have got considerably richer, while the majority have, at best, seen their incomes and living standards stagnate, and mainly fall. All while the ‘crisis’ has been used to slash public spending.

Tha couldn’t possibly be about to happen again, could it? Surely not?

Never let a good crisis go to waste. And can anyone honestly see Brexit not becoming a fully blown crisis in the immediate future? As deadlines loom and the directionless dithering continues.

I’m now completely convinced that crashing out without a deal is their desired outcome, and that the resulting chaos will then be used as a cover to force through god only knows what!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tha couldn’t possibly be about to happen again, could it? Surely not?

What the lets take billions off the NHS and spend it on Brexit instead plan???
    Who would be so stupid

igm

Has anyone worked out what £600 per household is yet?
    I reckon (seriously) that it’s about £350m per week.
    Can someone check my maths?

Irony much?

piemonster

Who would be so stupid

I think the UK electorate would accept the challenge

#trollingthm

kimbers

Because the Germans stole the towels.

😆

thecaptain
    Free Member

I actually don’t think the 58 reports are being suppressed because they are negative. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they are negative. But that’s not why they are being suppressed. Rather, the reason is just that this is the nature of govt and the UK civil service, information is always suppressed in principle unless there are stronger forces to the contrary.

PJM1974
    Free Member

*munches popcorn*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41829107

Yep, “taking back control” indeed. I wonder where the money came from? I suspect that Mr Putin knows.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there is a long list and I hope many of them discover Karma

Viewing 40 posts - 35,721 through 35,760 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.